Author Topic: vs. Sycamores ... in Game Thread  (Read 21271 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: vs. Sycamores ... in Game Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2016, 01:12:59 PM »
We have 3 more weeks to get the offense figured out. Peaking at the end of the season is exactly what we want. OK I'm probably too optimistic.

Do yourself a favor and don't compare our points scored this year with some other teams poised for playoff spots  :o :o :o :o  :-\ :-\ :-\

You can never be too optimistic, way too many negative nellies on this board.

Yesterday was a mixed emotion game for me, it was only the 5th home game I have missed since the stadium opened. But on the plus side, my last child was married, the wedding and reception were great, the weather was great, the guins won and the tribe won.
I was at the stadium. You have to be there to watch the intensity and emotion of the defense in the last 2 defensive of the game. ISU just could not block them. Moss played like the men possessed going after their QB. There was no chance in blocking him when they doubled up on Rivers. When they tried to block both of them, the blitz up the middle nailed him for a 15 yards loss. The D was not able to let us loss the game.

On the punt return for the TD, he caught the ball about right in front of me while I was yielding "let it go" since it was going out of bound and I did not want him to fumble the ball like what we did in the interception return in the last home game. He cut back toward the middle with the convoy against the lone punter for the TD. That is why I am in the stand watching the game.... What do I know...

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2016, 01:26:51 PM »
Thirteen points was the least amount of points any team has put up on ISUb, and 7 of those were from special teams.  Butler, playing without a single scholarship, and now 4-5, scored 25 points in Terre Haute.  Butler had 245 yards passing, YSU 101.  Butler won TOP, we lost.

We will lose at the FargoDome.  We prolly will beat SIU and MSU, but I'm not confident in that.  The spread vs ISUb was 16.5, and we almost lost except for a chance punt return for a TD.  We'll prolly be selected for the playoffs, but not go past the second round.  We will squander a legendary defense that we will not likely see again for decades because of an incompetent OC.

I think most top D2 programs wouldn't take Wells, which likely factored into his deciding to play Saturday.  101 yards passing, 13/26, 2 INTs, zero TDS.  Why not start Mays and get at least the same results and groom a future QB? A concussed Ricky Davis had a much better performance last week versus a much more stout defense.

Monty will have cost us a trip to Frisco.  It's that simple.
Nation we get your hatred for Hunter and Shane we really do. This defense is good enough that I give us a chance with anyone from here on out. I thought Wells pocket presence was very good. He was able to elude several sacks and keep his eyes downfield and didn't develop happy feet. The pass to Rader was a nice play that we didn't capitalize on. I counted 4 drops yesterday. The bottom line is this team is playing relentless in plenty of area's and I can finally see the cultural change that I have been waiting for

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2016, 01:42:48 PM »
Thirteen points was the least amount of points any team has put up on ISUb, and 7 of those were from special teams.  Butler, playing without a single scholarship, and now 4-5, scored 25 points in Terre Haute.  Butler had 245 yards passing, YSU 101.  Butler won TOP, we lost.

We will lose at the FargoDome.  We prolly will beat SIU and MSU, but I'm not confident in that.  The spread vs ISUb was 16.5, and we almost lost except for a chance punt return for a TD.  We'll prolly be selected for the playoffs, but not go past the second round.  We will squander a legendary defense that we will not likely see again for decades because of an incompetent OC.

I think most top D2 programs wouldn't take Wells, which likely factored into his deciding to play Saturday.  101 yards passing, 13/26, 2 INTs, zero TDS.  Why not start Mays and get at least the same results and groom a future QB? A concussed Ricky Davis had a much better performance last week versus a much more stout defense.

Monty will have cost us a trip to Frisco.  It's that simple.
Nation we get your hatred for Hunter and Shane we really do. This defense is good enough that I give us a chance with anyone from here on out. I thought Wells pocket presence was very good. He was able to elude several sacks and keep his eyes downfield and didn't develop happy feet. The pass to Rader was a nice play that we didn't capitalize on. I counted 4 drops yesterday. The bottom line is this team is playing relentless in plenty of area's and I can finally see the cultural change that I have been waiting for

There's no hatred.  Just want the Penguins to be at their potential.  Wells fumbled snaps, threw two pics, threw a short pass into the dirt, over and under threw targets, and most of his completions were short routes.  You can cover your eyes and ears to it, or you can deal with it.  In contrast, look at the stats from our 2 QBs last week:

PASSING   C-A   YDS   LG   TD   INT
Ricky Davis   9-16   115   32   0   1
Nathan Mays   3-6   37   13   0   0

Davis performs better with a traumatic brain injury than a healthy Wells.  I agree with sitting Davis, maybe even for longer than the ISUb game.  But to expect Wells to come back and be better than the QB that led to a 5-6 season is magical thinking.  It's unicorns and leprechauns type stuff.  Mays also had a 50% completion %, and no pics.  Why opt for a downgrade?  It's absurd.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2016, 02:40:28 PM »
Not going to b**** about a win.  If Davis comes back it just makes us stronger.  I agree about the separation that the receivers lack there of.  Considering Wells sat for the last 7 weeks for us to win this game after spotting them 10 pts is big.  Do I expect us to win next week no.  Did I expect to win with Davis no.  Do I expect us to win with Mays no.  But it isn't coincidence that Ruiz had a break out game.  Wells understands this offense better than All 3 QB's combined.  With this Defense your QB needs to be a game manager not a hero.  As for why not Mays? I heard he just isn't ready? Whatever that means.  Next week is a big week, the Bisons's QB is also struggling. As for Wells missing throws to the backs, Davis has been missing them too.   Could be interesting next week. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 03:09:17 PM by YSUGO »
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2016, 04:11:15 PM »
since this has become the post game thread why not?

Like it or lump it. Monty is you OC ...and damn good one. Gee how funny to actually hear the HC of ILS courting him (twice now). How ironic that the HC of ISU says he patterns his offense after ours. They obviously do if you watch the game. Rotating between #'s 23 & 24 to RUN against us ..and quite well I might add. Stop subtracting the sack numbers ...look at their stats. That QB was the best we have faced all year, at least in terms of accuracy, the first QB in our conference that I have seen and feel a distinctively better passer than Wells. He leads his receivers much better, but Wells as the ability to throw better into crowds (even though he was doing it a bit more often last year).

Wells is the this team's QB, for the rest of this year and next. The kid is a stand-up guy, asks for his papers and they are granted ... continues to practice and help this team (so what if is helps him as wells), then ...knowing he does not as yet have 100% support from his HC, he rescinds and comes back. In 2-weeks it will have been a year since he last lead this team against a varsity opponent. Yes we are lucky it was ISU. To say a DII team does not want him is so low. Hell he already had his SRU uniform. You don't think that after Nania, every team in the PSAC is not crying for Wells?

This is the third game our shallow defense was exposed and no on says a word? Why did Moss have such a big day? Gee look who didn't and the answer is pretty easy. They let Rivers come through and then ran off-guard against him. Twice he was so busy going after the QB he completely missed the ball carrier; don't think we won't see that again next week. Good teams are sweeping against us because we have no ends at home. We need them to force the early throw to keep our CB's from getting burned and our safeties from passing out from exhaustion. Just like last year, our middle was opened up as our safeties were not playing up (which they should not be), we got no hands on the receivers and that allowed then to get into our open middle. I think lack of Savon played a factor their. When he was in he only had 1-hurry and no sacks, he was trying to play off the receivers and you cannot do two things at once.

On O you cried for slants and you got it, you cried for Wells to run and you got it, you cried for more use of the TE's and you got it, You cried for #20 in the flat and you got it. coach M very skillfully used the TE's in the flat, then dropped Webb in there ..very nice. Then when they (TE's) came out, Monty pulled them to the middle and they went deep. This is the offense we cannot do with Davis. On the other hand Oline weak again (yes with 8 in the box it is hard). I hope they keep working on that.

At the end of the day, ISU had 226-yards of offense, which should have yielded 3 TDs (ideally, with 17 more likely). YSU had 291-yards of offesne, which should have yielded 3.8 TD's or 24 points (ideally 28). Let's remember that offense had two INT's, 3 fumbles (1 of which forced a punt and the other a missed FG) and we had two-missed FG's. So ISU had 2 TO's that caused them to only produce 10-points. Now we could have added back on those 6-points (missed on FGs) and the INT's and we should have hand at least an additional 12-points...with as many as 20.  We do not need a running QB to run the ball, we have 3 backs for that. On the other hand, we have only 1-QB back there. Simply put, the pass ability of more crucial. I personally do not care if it all comes in the first 10-minutes of the game, as long as it comes. If we can pull this team together under Wells, we can have a very efficient offense.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 04:19:43 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2016, 04:41:20 PM »
since this has become the post game thread why not?

Like it or lump it. Monty is you OC ...and damn good one. Gee how funny to actually hear the HC of ILS courting him (twice now). How ironic that the HC of ISU says he patterns his offense after ours. They obviously do if you watch the game. Rotating between #'s 23 & 24 to RUN against us ..and quite well I might add. Stop subtracting the sack numbers ...look at their stats. That QB was the best we have faced all year, at least in terms of accuracy, the first QB in our conference that I have seen and feel a distinctively better passer than Wells. He leads his receivers much better, but Wells as the ability to throw better into crowds (even though he was doing it a bit more often last year).

Wells is the this team's QB, for the rest of this year and next. The kid is a stand-up guy, asks for his papers and they are granted ... continues to practice and help this team (so what if is helps him as wells), then ...knowing he does not as yet have 100% support from his HC, he rescinds and comes back. In 2-weeks it will have been a year since he last lead this team against a varsity opponent. Yes we are lucky it was ISU. To say a DII team does not want him is so low. Hell he already had his SRU uniform. You don't think that after Nania, every team in the PSAC is not crying for Wells?

This is the third game our shallow defense was exposed and no on says a word? Why did Moss have such a big day? Gee look who didn't and the answer is pretty easy. They let Rivers come through and then ran off-guard against him. Twice he was so busy going after the QB he completely missed the ball carrier; don't think we won't see that again next week. Good teams are sweeping against us because we have no ends at home. We need them to force the early throw to keep our CB's from getting burned and our safeties from passing out from exhaustion. Just like last year, our middle was opened up as our safeties were not playing up (which they should not be), we got no hands on the receivers and that allowed then to get into our open middle. I think lack of Savon played a factor their. When he was in he only had 1-hurry and no sacks, he was trying to play off the receivers and you cannot do two things at once.

On O you cried for slants and you got it, you cried for Wells to run and you got it, you cried for more use of the TE's and you got it, You cried for #20 in the flat and you got it. coach M very skillfully used the TE's in the flat, then dropped Webb in there ..very nice. Then when they (TE's) came out, Monty pulled them to the middle and they went deep. This is the offense we cannot do with Davis. On the other hand Oline weak again (yes with 8 in the box it is hard). I hope they keep working on that.

At the end of the day, ISU had 226-yards of offense, which should have yielded 3 TDs (ideally, with 17 more likely). YSU had 291-yards of offesne, which should have yielded 3.8 TD's or 24 points (ideally 28). Let's remember that offense had two INT's, 3 fumbles (1 of which forced a punt and the other a missed FG) and we had two-missed FG's. So ISU had 2 TO's that caused them to only produce 10-points. Now we could have added back on those 6-points (missed on FGs) and the INT's and we should have hand at least an additional 12-points...with as many as 20.  We do not need a running QB to run the ball, we have 3 backs for that. On the other hand, we have only 1-QB back there. Simply put, the pass ability of more crucial. I personally do not care if it all comes in the first 10-minutes of the game, as long as it comes. If we can pull this team together under Wells, we can have a very efficient offense.

Stop smoking crack and take your medication.  The defense was shallow?  Lol!hahahhahahaha. The defense saved our sorry offense once again.  1 touchdown in the last 12 quarters of football.  And the TD was in garbage time.  You have completely lost it.  Your wires are crossed.  The defense and special teams have won the last two games.

This one is for you

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHOQAT0-Mk
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 04:49:10 PM by penguinpower »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2016, 06:04:37 PM »
We gave up 1 TD, on a 25 yard drive, and the defense struggled?

Let's not forget how they got to the 25 in the first place.

What do they have to do to open your eyes? Outscore the other teams offense? Hold them to under 100 yards total?

226 total yards against! 7 sacks! 2 INT! That's '85 Bears quality defense bud.

1 offensive TD in 12 quarters speaks volumes. This team may have problems but defense isn't it. ANYONE can see that. Almost anyone.

Our defense was exposed....good lord
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 06:05:46 PM by HappyPenguin »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2016, 06:34:12 PM »
2 reasons why we are 6-2.  Defense and special teams.   We are winning both battles there. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2016, 06:39:36 PM »
I've never seen so many people b****ing about a 6-2 team in my life. Are they perfect NO, but they find a way to win. And that's all that really matters.
They have a chance to go to Fargo next week and walk away in first place in the toughest division in FCS and yet some of you still b**** and moan. Why don't you try and support this team and the decisions that the coaching staff are making.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2016, 08:33:27 PM »

Stop smoking crack and take your medication.  The defense was shallow?  Lol!hahahhahahaha. The defense saved our sorry offense once again.  1 touchdown in the last 12 quarters of football.  And the TD was in garbage time.  You have completely lost it.  Your wires are crossed.  The defense and special teams have won the last two games.

This one is for you

Since you obviously did not go to the game, this one is for you. Notice the tackling with the should in the middle of the field. The better teams are finding success. They had no issues between the 30's. On side note ...Adam Sandler? Seriously?? I don't know if I have ever even watched one of his films in it's entirety. Last time I check I was older than 19. :)

https://youtu.be/70bewXAu2b0
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:15:32 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2016, 09:03:12 PM »
All, there are two things we should all agree upon. Our defense made mistakes this past game, after all, everyone makes mistakes in games. There are never perfect games, people miss blocks, routes are run improperly ect. So no the defense didn't play a perfect game. You are correct IAA mistakes were made.

However, for the most part, the defense played well enough to win. Hell, after the mistakes in the first quarter that led to 10 points, they didn't allow any points the rest of the game! We should be able to all agree that the defense had a really good performance. Even our offense, despite playing rather poorly, can be credited at the end for at least taking time off the clock when it counted and relying on our team strength, defense to win.

While the punt return on special teams was huge, I have to say this area can't get a better grade than a A- from me due to the blocked field goal.

Also, just thought I would point out, this time wells dove head first so he could get the first down when he ran it, for what its worth. I think Wells will look better this week, but I could be wrong. I think some of the struggles he had were due to rust. Although, again, our receivers did us no favors at times.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2016, 10:13:22 PM »

This one is for you

Since you obviously did not go to the game, this one is for you. Notice the tackling with the should in the middle of the field. The better teams are finding success. They had no issues inside the 30's. On side note ...Adam Sandler? Seriously?? I don't know if I have ever even watched one of his films in it's entirety. Last time I check I was older than 19. :)

https://youtu.be/70bewXAu2b0

My point is that your statement about the defense is as incoherent as Sandler is in the clip.😆

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2016, 08:40:52 AM »
Good points Yo Show. Power, I know ...but you are attacking the messenger and not the message. Our defense is so much improved this year ...I have never said otherwise, it is just the constant attacking of our offense, which is completely different that in most recent years & not working. The play calling is always quite outstanding from coach M, but has been much less than effective on the field.

The defense seems to have to play up front against everyone. Yes, I understand that the most effective way to stop a passing QB is to plant him on his backside before he can release, but even in our best game we are going to pressure maybe 10-15 times out of maybe 30-40 passing attempts. That gives good passing teams, like ISU, a chance to make plays. However, we had some terrible execution and their OC found the match-ups he needed. We had CB's trying to tackle good sized receivers & these receivers were carrying our guys for 5-10 yards. Missed tackles (and worse the inability to tackle) Then we shut them down inside the 50. The problem is that we are facing teams with good punters and even when our d coaches guess the coverage correctly ...we are starting deep in our own territory and with a run-first offense, we cannot turn the field. We cannot pass, for fear of a TO deep in our own territory & our line is not giving the backs much in the way of holes. This is how we have won a couple of our games ...we just lined up and drove it down their throats and then once we crossed the 50, we were able to open up the offense and product points (i.e.: the UNI game). That is not going to win most games for ur us ...certainly not against playoff caliber teams.

Saturday I saw the basis of what we have had on offense in years past under Montgomery and it was exciting to see. A QB that has not touched the ball in a year, receivers not used to passes come in fast, Wells trying to be more mobile ...these any many other things plagued us Saturday. So stop attacking one coach on one side of the ball. Is see issues on both & our defense is very shallow, but I do think coach Carl is making the best of what he has. I just cannot stand seeing all this pressure and other teams going over top of it. Then when we back off, we are not stopping the run and in my opinion because we have no DE's & many times we are bring in two down linemen as well.

I trust this coaching staff & BOTH coordinators. This includes the decision to bring in Wells.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:48:54 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2016, 09:11:03 AM »
I think part of our offensive struggles are from giving equal amount of reps to all of our quarterbacks through the spring and fall camps.. with the different skill sets they each have it's harder for the players around them to adapt

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2016, 09:59:10 AM »
I am proud of the way the team responded and the defense carried the team. The offense even got ate critical time off the clock in the 4th. Way for the team to keep fighting and get the win. Now, lets hope we can get our offense going a little more and beat NDSU next week. If we do that, and SDSU loses any of their remaining games, we could have a shot at the MVFC championship.
I agree with being proud of how the team responded.  Same with the tremendous second half effort against UNI.  However, it is unlikely you can sustain winning football when your best offense is the punt return.  He is doing a great job, but eventually the O has to score TD's  We got to the 30 4 times and never got inside, hit 2 FG, missed one, blocked once, and won on a PR and D!  Thank God for the D!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!