YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Post- game Thoughts Jacks 24-10 over the Penguins.

<< < (7/9) > >>

Double ET:
I supported putting Davis in there as long as he was allowed to throw the ball. Now that has been done, I am convinced he is not the solution.

Davis and Mays both looked to make a play in the clutch. The difference is that Mays looked to make the play with his teammates and Davis looked to make the play by himself with the run.

This looking to run first mentality is not helping us. The other teams have figured it out. He either was not able to make the needed yardage or was getting drilled.

Since he was so focused on the run, he couldn't find or hit the open receivers due to lack of focus on the pass.

Put either Mays or Wells (if he is still available) back in.

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: Double ET on October 23, 2016, 01:38:07 PM ---I supported putting Davis in there as long as he was allowed to throw the ball. Now that has been done, I am convinced he is not the solution.

Davis and Mays both looked to make a play in the clutch. The difference is that Mays looked to make the play with his teammates and Davis looked to make the play by himself with the run.

This looking to run first mentality is not helping us. The other teams have figured it out. He either was not able to make the needed yardage or was getting drilled.

Since he was so focused on the run, he couldn't find or hit the open receivers due to lack of focus on the pass.

Put either Mays or Wells (if he is still available) back in.

--- End quote ---

One thing different in this game was we went to the pass, but the QB couldn't read the defense or pick his 2nd and 3rd in his progression.  That killed us.  As soon as he saw his first read covered, he ran.

I get that they are am elite team, but we could be too.  We have an elite defense, elite players on offense, but not am elite QB or coach.  The coaches should have had him prepared way better.  Davis shouldn't be regressing he should be improving.

FOOTBALLFEVER:
Kind of off the subject, but U.N.I. made the switch at quarterback this week and threw for 418 on 25 of 33 attempts in a 61-7 win over Missouri St.

YSUFANSINCE1990:
  YSU will finish at least 2-2, and likely 3-1, and be a playoff team.  But the quarterback situation needs to be addressed in the off season.  If Pelini is determined to have a running quarterback, we need to find one quickly.  All the quarterbacks on our roster were recruited by Wolford and Montgomery, who were looking for  a completely different style that Pelini is wanting to play.

It is very evident that Hunter Wells is a much better passer than anyone we have, that is so clear.  But that ship has sailed, for many, many reasons Pelini decided long ago to part ways with Wells.

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: FOOTBALLFEVER on October 23, 2016, 09:01:54 PM ---Kind of off the subject, but U.N.I. made the switch at quarterback this week and threw for 418 on 25 of 33 attempts in a 61-7 win over Missouri St.

--- End quote ---

Very important post Fever. If you include that will make almost 1/2 of the QB's in the conference are drop-back passers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version