YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

SDSU Week

<< < (8/13) > >>

go guins:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on October 19, 2016, 07:57:06 PM ---Mays will be the backup. Wells ran scout team today.

--- End quote ---
SDSU has over 2000 yards passing this season.  Having Mays run the scout team would be pretty silly. (BTW at last week's rate, YSU will get to 1000 yards passing in only 2 MORE GAMES!) 

penguinpower:
I think we need to run the ball and control the clock and keep their offense off the field.

go guins:

--- Quote from: penguinpower on October 20, 2016, 12:08:42 PM ---I think we need to run the ball and control the clock and keep their offense off the field.

--- End quote ---
That would be nice, agreed, that's what everybody, every coach, always says.  But with -0- credible passing attack, how would you propose to do that?  We were 3.7 yards per carry against UNI.  That's 11 yards per 3 downs.  That is going to lead to a whole lot of "3 and out" punts against a team that is stacking the box on D.  If we don't come out and throw on early downs, and they don't have to be deep balls, but they do have to be early downs, and complete a good percentage, then IMO you are going to get blown out by 3 TD's or more.
SDSU has 2000+ passing yards so far this season and we will have to do 3 times better than last week just to get to 1000 after 7 games.  I do agree with those that say we have the best or second best D in MVFC, but at some point you have to move the ball and score some points.  You also, as you note, need to get the D off the field. 
We'll see, but this QB situation is cause for concern. 

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: penguinpower on October 20, 2016, 12:08:42 PM ---I think we need to run the ball and control the clock and keep their offense off the field.

--- End quote ---

For sure.  We have the #1 rushing offense in the conference, and SDSU has the second worst rushing D.  Their passing D isn't much better so hopefully Davis can use that to unload the box.  They have the best passing offense, but we have the best passing D, total D, and rushing D.  We are the sack leader also, so hopefully Rivers and Moss are very disruptive.  Our special teams has been on point.  We lead the Valley also in TOP, so if we don't get fancy and mostly ground and pound, I really like our chances.

go guins:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on October 20, 2016, 12:30:49 PM ---

--- End quote ---

For sure.  We have the #1 rushing offense in the conference, and SDSU has the second worst rushing D.  Their passing D isn't much better so hopefully Davis can use that to unload the box.  They have the best passing offense, but we have the best passing D, total D, and rushing D.  We are the sack leader also, so hopefully Rivers and Moss are very disruptive.  Our special teams has been on point.  We lead the Valley also in TOP, so if we don't get fancy and mostly ground and pound, I really like our chances.

--- End quote ---
Your MVFC stats look OK to me, as far as it goes.  But we should note, we have 3 MVC games under our belts, and yes, we have 3 wins.  NONE against teams with a winning record in MVFC and NONE against teams with a winning overall record.  We have some tough teams in front of us and that WVU pass defense is still fresh in my mind!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version