Author Topic: Northern Iowa  (Read 37114 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Iowa
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2016, 10:49:32 AM »
I am going to say it again ...some of you are full of crap. You know, "questionable play calls" is the only thing you can say negatively about tonight's contest. We are supposed to be the most intelligent fans, yet you cannot look at everything in a game. This was a classic battle, driven by your 3rd-string QB and your OC and you cannot talk about how great it was to see the offense finally give itself (and this team) some identity. If we do happen to make the post-season...this will be the reason why. Yet sour entire in-game thread is titled as anti-Montgomery crap? My fault. I left the house without creating the thread.

As I stated before.  We should be playing the qb under center.  Everyone saw the excellent power game we have as it was on full display last night.  However we ran the stupid spread and injured 2 QB's (as I predicted) and one is now out for the year and the other probably blew his Red shirt.  Not only did we run the QB into the teeth of that tough defense and get the QB's hurt, but we put him back in when he was clearly injured limping around and then he throws a pick 6 the other way.  Then we bring in Qb#2 and break him for the season.  Now if we do in fact lose a RS on Mays, we may be costing us a deep run in the future as he would have another year to develop.  Care to explain that? It is incomprehensible to me.  There is no intelligence in the decision making that occurred for about 2 quarters last night.  Those kids willed their way to that win.  I told you before, when we play the QB under center it opens up play action, and that is where the passing TD came from last week at ISU.  We need to be in a pro set.  We have the horses.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 10:55:56 AM by penguinpower »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2016, 11:07:49 AM »
I've been critical of coach M. in the past, like a lot of us.

He really has a chance to win me over in these next few games.

I'm looking forward to seeing how we play it.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2016, 11:13:38 AM »
Power. I have some news for you.

-We have only faced 1 team this year that does not sport a running QB and we will not face another.
-Mays used his red-shirt 2-years ago.
-We spread the ball this entire game, even the last 2-drives ...when did we not? Because we went under center a few times? We do not even come close to having a good power game, that went out with Heacock. If you want to retool the offense than that is what we need to do ...I will support it. If you let Pelini do that then we will have PJ Fecko, yet somehow everyone in this town will justify that as well. They just cannot stand DI college football unless it is run by Ohio State.
-We do not have the horses for a pro-set. This is the first time in 3 years we have had some depth up front and they cannot pass block. We are tall and lean.
-Yes Davis calls his number too much ...everyone sees it ...including Montgomery and Davis. Davis is a first-year starter

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2016, 11:19:05 AM »
Power. I have some news for you.

-We have only faced 1 team this year that does not sport a running QB and we will not face another.
-Mays used his red-shirt 2-years ago.
-We spread the ball this entire game, even the last 2-drives ...when did we not? Because we went under center a few times? We do not even come close to having a good power game, that went out with Heacock. If you want to retool the offense than that is what we need to do ...I will support it. If you let Pelini do that then we will have PJ Fecko, yet somehow everyone in this town will justify that as well. They just cannot stand DI college football unless it is run by Ohio State.
-We do not have the horses for a pro-set. This is the first time in 3 years we have had some depth up front and they cannot pass block. We are tall and lean.
-Yes Davis calls his number too much ...everyone sees it ...including Montgomery and Davis. Davis is a first-year starter

I don't know what game you were watching, but I saw us blowing them off the line.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2016, 11:43:19 AM »

Mays not under center ...we spread the ball all night. Look the reason the power works is because they fear our spread. Believe me ...Montgomery knows what he is doing. Who ran a better pro-set game than Heacock ...did we win? Did Tressel ever win the conference once he went to the pro-set? Both of those HC's were 2-deep with starters all the way across the o-front. That is what it takes to win in the pro-set. We are not there. Again, for this to occur we have to retool the entire offense. Mays was under center, but we were not in a pro-set. Pretty close a couple of times though. I liked the way coach Carl used twin on the corners just as everyone has been doing against us.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 11:55:32 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2016, 12:29:43 PM »

Mays not under center ...we spread the ball all night. Look the reason the power works is because they fear our spread. Believe me ...Montgomery knows what he is doing. Who ran a better pro-set game than Heacock ...did we win? Did Tressel ever win the conference once he went to the pro-set? Both of those HC's were 2-deep with starters all the way across the o-front. That is what it takes to win in the pro-set. We are not there. Again, for this to occur we have to retool the entire offense. Mays was under center, but we were not in a pro-set. Pretty close a couple of times though. I liked the way coach Carl used twin on the corners just as everyone has been doing against us.

Ot seemed to me we were flexing in and out of it.  We did good with the regular option, but not the read.  I would like to see more pistol and more use of the FB.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2016, 12:32:03 PM »
To follow-up on Guinpen's D praise:

I have been very critical of coach Carl's D scheme, but I have been guilty of not realizing that he too has to use what he has in terms of players. Did you guys notice how balanced he was in the first half? Moss and Rivers were still able to get some pressure. UNI brought in their big arm and I was scared, but we neutralized him with LBs and secondary in coverage. This makes me really excited, as this is the only way that we are going to beat SDSU next week. Moss and Rivers are probably hurting today.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 12:33:33 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2016, 02:40:15 PM »
Top 5 defense in all of FCS. Now if only the offense can complete a pass...

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2016, 04:09:01 PM »
Moss and Rivers are probably hurting today.

But it is a good hurt
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2016, 06:52:49 PM »
Ot seemed to me we were flexing in and out of it.  We did good with the regular option, but not the read.  I would like to see more pistol and more use of the FB.

I know what you mean Power, but we have to realize this was Mays first game. It takes time to get the right rhythm and eye for the read. Even when Monty did not run the QB as much in his years past, we had some mobility in the QB and I have seen Mays in many practices and scrimmages ...he can move when he needs to. He did some last night. All we have really done this year is move the run up further in the QB's progression. A couple of scary desperation pitches though.

Even though Mays threw that INT ...it was deep and well-positioned, just not enough arm for a very opportunistic defense in UNI. I also think it took guts.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2016, 07:12:19 PM »

I know what you mean Power, but we have to realize this was Mays first game. It takes time to get the right rhythm and eye for the read. Even when Monty did not run the QB as much in his years past, we had some mobility in the QB and I have seen Mays in many practices and scrimmages ...he can move when he needs to. He did some last night. All we have really done this year is move the run up further in the QB's progression. A couple of scary desperation pitches though.

Even though Mays threw that INT ...it was deep and well-positioned, just not enough arm for a very opportunistic defense in UNI. I also think it took guts.

Shouldn't have been throwing the ball anyway. Poor decision to throw because we were blowing them off the LOS at that time. Poor throw by the QB. Better clean it up for the next 2 games.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2016, 07:23:31 PM »

Shouldn't have been throwing the ball anyway. Poor decision to throw because we were blowing them off the LOS at that time. Poor throw by the QB. Better clean it up for the next 2 games.

That is the questionably call I referred to, I agree with you.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2016, 07:54:32 PM »
Same here, a little too opportunistic, but were were controlling and I think everyone thought we could make it back up should it fall incomplete and it would move the LBs back in coverage. Of course that assumes an incomplete pass, not and INT (:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 07:55:17 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2016, 08:17:24 PM »
Any word on Townsend? He was really grabbing that ankle.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2016, 09:43:44 AM »

Go look at the replay. He was hammered as he released the ball had no follow through. The YSU receiver had a few steps on the defender going into the end zone. The problem is would the butter fingered receivers caught it  ;)