YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Northern Iowa

<< < (11/15) > >>

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on October 16, 2016, 11:43:19 AM ---

Mays not under center ...we spread the ball all night. Look the reason the power works is because they fear our spread. Believe me ...Montgomery knows what he is doing. Who ran a better pro-set game than Heacock ...did we win? Did Tressel ever win the conference once he went to the pro-set? Both of those HC's were 2-deep with starters all the way across the o-front. That is what it takes to win in the pro-set. We are not there. Again, for this to occur we have to retool the entire offense. Mays was under center, but we were not in a pro-set. Pretty close a couple of times though. I liked the way coach Carl used twin on the corners just as everyone has been doing against us.

--- End quote ---

Ot seemed to me we were flexing in and out of it.  We did good with the regular option, but not the read.  I would like to see more pistol and more use of the FB.

IAA Fan:
To follow-up on Guinpen's D praise:

I have been very critical of coach Carl's D scheme, but I have been guilty of not realizing that he too has to use what he has in terms of players. Did you guys notice how balanced he was in the first half? Moss and Rivers were still able to get some pressure. UNI brought in their big arm and I was scared, but we neutralized him with LBs and secondary in coverage. This makes me really excited, as this is the only way that we are going to beat SDSU next week. Moss and Rivers are probably hurting today.

ytownchief22:
Top 5 defense in all of FCS. Now if only the offense can complete a pass...

guinpen:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on October 16, 2016, 12:32:03 PM ---Moss and Rivers are probably hurting today.

--- End quote ---

But it is a good hurt

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: penguinpower on October 16, 2016, 12:29:43 PM ---Ot seemed to me we were flexing in and out of it.  We did good with the regular option, but not the read.  I would like to see more pistol and more use of the FB.

--- End quote ---

I know what you mean Power, but we have to realize this was Mays first game. It takes time to get the right rhythm and eye for the read. Even when Monty did not run the QB as much in his years past, we had some mobility in the QB and I have seen Mays in many practices and scrimmages ...he can move when he needs to. He did some last night. All we have really done this year is move the run up further in the QB's progression. A couple of scary desperation pitches though.

Even though Mays threw that INT ...it was deep and well-positioned, just not enough arm for a very opportunistic defense in UNI. I also think it took guts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version