Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 5566 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
What would you do?
« on: October 19, 2016, 03:25:21 PM »
Okay here is a new feature that will help us take our minds off the game, Bo and QB worries. It is called "What would you do?"

Okay last night I was thinking that the Guins would drive for a late TD be up 21-20 with just about 2-minutes left. SDSU (actually any opponent) is starting from their own 25, when the QB throws what seems to be a pick-6. Suddenly the Penguin defender does not score; instead he takes a knee at the 1-yard line. YSU has all three time outs remaining and SDSU has none. The YSU offense takes the field. Would you call this a mistake, or a brilliant instinctive move by a veteran on defense? Part-2: if YSU was up by 4-points would you feel any different?

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 04:18:13 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 03:27:02 PM »
I say it is brilliant move .. YSU calls 3 timeouts and tries for the end-zone on 4th down.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 04:15:49 PM »
I've seen enough long kick off returns at the end of games the past few years to agree. Actually we've had no problem finding a variety of ways to lose at the end, so killing the clock as much as possible doesn't bother me in the least.

Unless we are up by more than 8 don't give them any time at all

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 04:31:05 PM »
Okay here is a new feature that will help us take our minds off the game, Bo and QB worries. It is called "What would you do?"

Okay last night I was thinking that the Guins would drive for a late TD be up 21-20 with just about 2-minutes left. SDSU (actually any opponent) is starting from their own 25, when the QB throws what seems to be a pick-6. Suddenly the Penguin defender does not score; instead he takes a knee at the 1-yard line. YSU has all three time outs remaining and SDSU has none. The YSU offense takes the field. Would you call this a mistake, or a brilliant instinctive move by a veteran on defense? Part-2: if YSU was up by 4-points would you feel any different?
Not enough info.  Is Davis or Mays the QB?
KIDDING!

You NEVER take points off the board, and taking a knee is the same as taking points off the board, so I go up 7, kick the point for 8 and force them to go the length of the field and still require the 2 points if they score the TD and look to win in OT if they do all that. 
Your scenario of taking the knee has too many things that can go wrong, before scoring.

In your response to your own question, why the hell would you/YSU call 3 timeouts??

Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 04:33:33 PM »
Starting this year, once inside the 2-minute mark, the game clock will not start until after the snap. We now need our timeouts or take a knee; where last year we could run down the clock and take the delay penalty. Why risk the fumbled snap or player injury?

That is a big change because least year we could have run all but 20 seconds off the clock then taken the delay on 4th-down. Thus the clock runs out and the ball is never snapped.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 04:39:40 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 04:34:16 PM »
Take it to the house and then you have a 7 point lead.  I'd consider going to a 2 point conversion to make it a two score game, basically ending the game right there.  However, with our lack of red zone offense, the best odds would be a PAT, making them get both a TD and 2 point conversion.

A snap could be fumbled on the one yard line.  Just go for the kill.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 04:43:38 PM »
Come to think of it ...we have a running 40-second clock now (no more 25-second clock) ...so we would only need 3 plays to run out the game.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 04:48:52 PM »
Starting this year, once inside the 2-minute mark, the game clock will not start until after the snap. We now need our timeouts or take a knee; where last year we could run down the clock and take the delay penalty. Why risk the fumbled snap or player injury?

That is a big change because least year we could have run all but 20 seconds off the clock then taken the delay on 4th-down. Thus the clock runs out and the ball is never snapped.
So you are going to snap the ball, take a knee in what, 3 seconds.  Run off 24 seconds, so you burn 108 seconds and leave SDSU with the ball (albeit deep in our territory) and 12 seconds on the cloce in a 1 point game?  Sorry, I'm taking the 7 and giving them the ball. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 05:06:25 PM »
I would refer that question to Bill Belichick

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 05:13:54 PM »

So you are going to snap the ball, take a knee in what, 3 seconds.  Run off 24 seconds, so you burn 108 seconds and leave SDSU with the ball (albeit deep in our territory) and 12 seconds on the cloce in a 1 point game?  Sorry, I'm taking the 7 and giving them the ball.

See my last post, as I forgot about all of the new clock rules ...we would not have to snap. You are having the discussion I was originally hoping for though :)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 08:15:50 PM »
I am grounded in reality and wouldn't think of this nonsense.