YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU CROWDS

(1/5) > >>

YSUFANSINCE1990:
  There were some very good and accurate points made about our crowds and attendance in the post about the game vs South Dakota.  Not only was it a small crowd, no energy and as I looked around near my seats, many of the fans were not even paying attention.  Many on their cell phones or chatting with friends.

I agree, the crowds of 20 K(and that didn't happen often under Tressel) are over.  Less people living in our community, and small student attendance at our games.  Also, all the replays make for long games, and there are so many good games on television.  Honestly, I was bored at our game on Saturday.

I know this is nothing new, but the conference we play in doesn't help, no geographic rivalry and fans could care less about who we play. 

I also think FCS football is at an all time low.  Most, if not all the great programs of the 1990's are now in FBS.  There is no way one team should win 5 years in a row, and likely 6 straight titles.

Strollo is a dud, and doesn't have it in him to do something..   Also, even if we win Saturday, the crowd for UNI will be relatively small for a 'big' game.   We probably will be going head to head with Ohio State at Wisconsin, and although many hate to admit it, that is a factor.  Instead of being stubborn, we should move our game to 3 PM if the Ohio State game is an 8 pm start.

ysubigred:

--- Quote from: YSUFANSINCE1990 on October 03, 2016, 08:24:36 AM ---  There were some very good and accurate points made about our crowds and attendance in the post about the game vs South Dakota.  Not only was it a small crowd, no energy and as I looked around near my seats, many of the fans were not even paying attention.  Many on their cell phones or chatting with friends.

I agree, the crowds of 20 K(and that didn't happen often under Tressel) are over.  Less people living in our community, and small student attendance at our games.  Also, all the replays make for long games, and there are so many good games on television.  Honestly, I was bored at our game on Saturday.

I know this is nothing new, but the conference we play in doesn't help, no geographic rivalry and fans could care less about who we play. 

I also think FCS football is at an all time low.  Most, if not all the great programs of the 1990's are now in FBS.  There is no way one team should win 5 years in a row, and likely 6 straight titles.

Strollo is a dud, and doesn't have it in him to do something..   Also, even if we win Saturday, the crowd for UNI will be relatively small for a 'big' game.   We probably will be going head to head with Ohio State at Wisconsin, and although many hate to admit it, that is a factor.  Instead of being stubborn, we should move our game to 3 PM if the Ohio State game is an 8 pm start.

--- End quote ---

Sadly, there are very few of the 90's gang left. Age, and different times has killed the enthusiasm of YSU football. A playoff run would bring back some interest but not to the level it once was.

Penguin Nation:
A novel could be written about this, but the unfortunate bottom line is filling the stands is not a priority, or even an objective, of the Athletic Department.  On the other hand, filling the loges is.  This is a short-sighted strategy befitting of a moRon.  By filling the stands, you create enthusiasm for the University as a whole, and see revenue generation in many non-athletic aspects of the University.  Some students (my daughter is one) chose student life and athletics as a significant variable when selecting a school.

At YSU, accountability is limited to the students and student athletes, so people like moRon and Slocum are there as long as they wish to be...so these type of discussions are only for amusement only.  They simply don't care.

Because of a number of issues (again volumes could be written about this), this is the population of Ytown now versus the 1990s (a 30% decline):

https://www.google.com/search?q=youngstown+ohio+population&oq=youngstown+ohio+population&aqs=chrome..69i57.6963j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Winning.  You simply can't expect one playoff season in 15 years to fill the stands.  If we stomp every Valley team this season, the stands will barely fill, and will only fill slightly more at the playoffs.  It will take time to bring fans back, just like it took years of neglect to chase them away. 

Schedule.  If you are content with things as they are, stick with the current NEC/MVFC hybrid schedule.  If you want to create excitement, then there are multiple options.  One is to play Akron and Kent.  Kent is a pathetic excuse of a program, and we'd get paid >$300k to embarrass them in their own house.  Imagine the recruiting gravitas that would create.  Another option (not without its downsides) is two money games.  It would create more interest, and the additonal revenue generation could go toward FCOA scholarships, which we need to get soon to be competitive not just against MAC schools, but also many MVFC schools.

Promotions.  The least effective tactic in this list.  I thought having rapper Jerreau at the Duquesne game was a good move.  Make a game an event.  Make it the best place to be in town.  When I go to FAU games with my daughter, it's like going to a carnival that happens to have a football game nearby.

Gimmicks and stunts.  Create interest with viral social media.  If 5,000 students use their ID for entry, Bo will bring his cat to the game.  If the game is a sell out, a local car dealer will give a way a car away at half time.

ytownchief22:
Schedule is a joke. Marketing department is a joke. Be happy with your magnetic sticker as you walk in ;)

Sometimes I feel like the university is still stuck in the 90's. Shame.

The crowds will not change. It's just the way things are. 

The YO Show:
Well guys, I have been able to make less games myself this year (due to the change in my work schedule requiring me to work a fair number of weekends since last year). I won't be able to come to the UNI game as much as I want too  :-[. Honestly, the next home game I can go to is homecoming  :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version