YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Bobby Morris

<< < (3/21) > >>

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: YSUFANSINCE1990 on September 14, 2016, 03:07:57 PM --- Our scheduling sucks, until athletic department shows me I am wrong, we are afraid to play quality FCS opponents outside of conference.

Look at UNI, back to back weeks Montana and Eastern Washington; ND State played Eastern Washington and Charleston.  We play two scrimmages.   And they wonder why fans don't show up.

--- End quote ---

What makes you think more people would show up if we scheduled any one of those opponents? I bet not a single ticket sale increase (possibly students). IMO ... Until we show that we can get to and perform well in the post-season, what you say is simply not true. Then at that point it does not matter, there will be people waiting at will-call for the tickets the hard-core fans will give up.

Look at all the lightweight crap that Tressel scheduled. Multiple D-II's on more than one occasion. MAC teams that were much less powerful than the conference teams of today. Yet we had sellouts based on weather. Same thing will happen now. We just simply need the weakest possible schedule to make the play-off. Nothing else matters.

Back then people called OSU cowards for being afraid to play us. Then teams better than Tressel's were manhandled down in Columbus. We were better-off having never played Ohio State ...less $1.5mil of course. Now you want to play the toughest schedules to make people think that you are a good team. When we start beating the top-20 teams in the post-season, again no one will care. Win and they will come.

guinpen:

--- Quote from: YSUFANSINCE1990 on September 14, 2016, 03:07:57 PM --- Our scheduling sucks, until athletic department shows me I am wrong, we are afraid to play quality FCS opponents outside of conference.

Look at UNI, back to back weeks Montana and Eastern Washington; ND State played Eastern Washington and Charleston.  We play two scrimmages.   And they wonder why fans don't show up.

--- End quote ---

A YSU fan would show up if for no other reason but to see YSU play and support the team.

Penguin Nation:
YSU football is a product YSU is selling to its market.  The consumers need to be convinced that the value of YSU FB is > than the cost, time, and effort of going to the game. If all hopes rest on brand loyalty, well, you wont have any trouble finding a good parking spot or an even better seat.

Playing 2 NEC games insults our D1 athletes.  It tells them this is the best their leadership thinks they can handle.  The OOC schedule is an absurdity that will continue for as long as  moRon remains AD (another absurdity).

FOOTBALLFEVER:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on September 14, 2016, 05:30:43 PM ---

--- End quote ---

We just simply need the weakest possible schedule to make the play-off. Nothing else matters.

--- End quote ---
1AA , I get what your saying. Then again I ask myself what does playing Duquesne and RMU do for the Guins in terms of getting them ready for conference play. SD could beat North Dakota this week and come into Stambaugh with 2 victories over Big Sky opponents-Advantage Coyotes. Say if we beat them and they finish with the same conference record and they up end SDSU and we don't we stay home and they go. Even the Illinois teams in our conference are scheduling OVC teams and beating them and the same OVC teams are beating the MAC teams..Just saying the committee looks very hard at these match-ups when selection time comes around. That's why I'm in favor of a stronger non-conference schedule. Then again I realize we need the extra revenue that home games can generate, but I would rather be prepared for conference play and make the playoffs based on strength of schedule. If I had the extra money I would gladly give it to the University

FOOTBALLFEVER:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on September 14, 2016, 08:30:08 PM ---YSU football is a product YSU is selling to its market.  The consumers need to be convinced that the value of YSU FB is > than the cost, time, and effort of going to the game. If all hopes rest on brand loyalty, well, you wont have any trouble finding a good parking spot or an even better seat.

Playing 2 NEC games insults our D1 athletes.  It tells them this is the best their leadership thinks they can handle.  The OOC schedule is an absurdity that will continue for as long as  moRon remains AD (another absurdity).

--- End quote ---
Good point!! It does make you wonder what our players are thinking behind closed doors. In any successful business you need to spend money to make money and take chances along the way. I wish the University would have that same approach with football

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version