YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Penguins Conclude Busy Week With Game-Like Scrimmage

<< < (9/11) > >>

go guins:
Power, You've got me with this one, the depth and breath of your errors exceed all expectations!

"Spread or running QB's have not been successful in the professional level." 
Yes, your right here.  Throw the bums like Marioti, Newton, Griffin, Bortles, Carr, Wilson and Winston out of the league.  You can't play in the NFL if you run or play in the spread.

"We have the horses to run a power O and we should do it."
You have a questionable OL, about 8 RB's that weigh 185-195#  What horses?

"Secondly, we can recruit better players in a pro-style offense"
Yes, because players who think they have an NFL future look to YSU?  Get real.

IAA Fan:
I agree that being different is always good. Look back when we first came into the Gateway & SMS and ISU ran the option Tressel had problems with that. However. Both teams dropped it. Then, as we discussed before, look how badly we were beaten by GSU back in 1999, when we had MUCH more talent. Why, because we could no longer defend the option after coach T converted us to a pro-set. We only beat McNeese back in the 1997 title game because we still had so many players remaining that were recruited and played on our previous option-teams. Look at Ray Isaac ...he could have gone to any Big-12 program, but the big-12 was going away from the option

We must accept the fact that a team's defense is going to mirror it's offense; rare exceptions being a few of the big time collegiate programs, NFL teams and lucky smaller teams like YSU (that have big time coaching). So when coach Carl is able to defense varying styles of offense, that is a real feat and shows his gift. I am very comfortable with coach Shane. Very few (if any) teams in the MVFC have figured out his offense. I hope we can get to the point where he puts back in some of the complexity, but that may never come. It is really an offense designed for the NFL, where you do not have a new crop of starters coming in each year. Again, we are very lucky to have him.

ytownchief22:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on August 25, 2016, 09:33:48 AM ---I agree that being different is always good. Look back when we first came into the Gateway & SMS and ISU ran the option Tressel had problems with that. However. Both teams dropped it. Then, as we discussed before, look how badly we were beaten by GSU back in 1999, when we had MUCH more talent. Why, because we could no longer defend the option after coach T converted us to a pro-set. We only beat McNeese back in the 1997 title game because we still had so many players remaining that were recruited and played on our previous option-teams. Look at Ray Isaac ...he could have gone to any Big-12 program, but the big-12 was going away from the option

We must accept the fact that a team's defense is going to mirror it's offense; rare exceptions being a few of the big time collegiate programs, NFL teams and lucky smaller teams like YSU (that have big time coaching). So when coach Carl is able to defense varying styles of offense, that is a real feat and shows his gift. I am very comfortable with coach Shane. Very few (if any) teams in the MVFC have figured out his offense. I hope we can get to the point where he puts back in some of the complexity, but that may never come. It is really an offense designed for the NFL, where you do not have a new crop of starters coming in each year. Again, we are very lucky to have him.

--- End quote ---

I completely disagree. Some of the biggest losses the last couple years have been on the offense in ability to score points late in games. Especially late in the season against better competition. Is it watered down because of certain players ? Possible, but that is also on him.

Penguin Nation:
http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/aug/25/installation/

"Davis got nearly all the snaps with the first string Wednesday, but Pelini and offensive coordinator Shane Montgomery downplayed the idea that there was anything to read into that.

“Hunter has a sore shoulder and Trent got in there some, too,” Pelini said."

I wish Charles would've commented more on Trent's snaps with the first team.

Interesting comment from Davis:

“[The coaches put in] a lot more quarterback runs and a lot more motion. The tempo is also a lot quicker now. We’re trying to look more like an Oregon offense. We’re going to go quick.”

Love it.  We've got the tools to run a fast and aggressive offense.  It's going to be an exciting season.

IAA Fan:
Chief, Obviously very watered-down compared to what we have seen in the past. Lack of line depth and TB's. I really do not think we are going to be quite as "vanilla" this year and I am very excited about it. We have 3 more quality big men up front, a new receiving TE that is getting rave reviews (along with a quality returning TE), two more TB's and an additional quality WR. The reason that you see the drop in the last part of our games is two-fold:

1. we lack player depth.
2. opposing coaches do their job, which takes us right back to #1 and the ability to play 2-halves of football.

You see Davis' comments about this week's additions and the speed increase. I too am very excited Nation. It is football time in Ytown!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version