YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Penguins Conclude Busy Week With Game-Like Scrimmage

<< < (6/11) > >>

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: YSUGO on August 23, 2016, 09:04:01 PM ---Good to see that our QB coach on the board has it figured out.  It's just one kids fault that we didn't succeed last year.  Same kid was voted Captain by his peers but the board QB coach knows more than the team and his coaches.  Hell even the last HC wasn't that smart either he started the same guy.  I trust the coaches on this one and the players versus A anonymous poster hiding behind a screen name questioning a kids heart.  Why don't you sit next to his family in the stands and tell them that their kid lacks toughness.  Doubt that will happen.  This is the last I will debate this unless it's about performance.  Go Penguins and whoever wins QB1!

--- End quote ---

A few things:  No one is making personal comments/attacks.  This is all related to on the field performance.  This is D1 FB.  People are going to provide negative feedback regarding the performance of these adults. 

Some coaches have bad judgement and make big mistakes.  To say, as many here have, that whatever the OC or HC decides must be correct is total BS. Michael Jordan was cut from his HS basketball team.  Great call coach.

Jerry Slocum?  How are his decisions working out?

Anonymous poster? Your name IRL is YSU GO?

Here's a prior post where I refer to the "toughness" comments made on the radio after the Spring Game:

"Re: Spring Game
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2016, 08:48:31 AM »
QuoteModifyRemove
I listened to the WKBN feed which simultaneously played the Sean Hannity show, until the feed went out completely in Q4. 

I thought Hannon and Sammarone were honest in their QB assessments.  They discussed Wells' issues with pick 6's, lack of mobilty, and specifically discussed his lack of toughness, particularly after a play where he took an early dive to avoid contact.  Sammarone spoke of the negative impact that lack of toughness has on the team as a whole.

Davis, who had the best passing efficiency and rushing yards of any YSU QB last year, again outperformed Wells as Davis had two scoring drives (Wells zero, Mays one).

Wells had a better Freshman year, regressed in his Sophomore year, and there is no indication that he will produce better results in 2016. Honestly, the best thing for Wells would be a program suitable for a pro style QB with a solid o line and strong receiver unit.

At least Hosick has the excuse of learning a new system, and in my opinion, the QB competition should be for the back-up between Mays and Hosick.  Wells, if he doesn't transfer, would be the nuclear option if all others are injured.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/apr/16/defense-rules/ "

http://ysupenguins.com/forum/index.php/topic,13079.msg85697.html#msg85697

These toughness concerns are common knowledge to anyone following YSU FB, and even have been openly discussed on the airwaves.  Deal with it.

Wick250:
I am going to be really, really happy when this preseason ends and the quarterback issue is resolved, one way or the other.  We have had to endure the fathers or close family friends of two candidates pushing their boys (a perfectly natural response.)  Other posters have divided into factions and insisted their guy was the only true choice.  Enough already.  I suspect that most of us just want good quarterback play and don't give a rat's butt which individual provides it.

The YO Show:
Agreed wick. I want the offense to come out productive this year, or at least a lot better to start with even more improvement each game, and have us just put this behind us.

penguinpower:
Back in the days when we had Dantonio and Heacock defenses we always worried about the offense (at least I did).  I remember being so confident in the defense that I wanted them on the field to end the game.  I wanted to see them on the field to protect a lead.  I even remember the days when they would give the offense the ball back in better field position at the end of a series of downs. 

I n those years the offense could do anything against the defense in fall ball.  But when the season started two things happened.  First, the offense got untracked against other teams with lesser defenses.  Second, the offense continually improved throughout the year to a point where they would actually give the defense fits in practice.  Tressel would install new plays every week and by the time the end of the season arrived the offense had a large playbook to lean on if needed.

I am looking at practice through that view.  The offense has limited plays in fall practice because we have a QB competition and we should have an excellent defense this year.  I think we have a shot at the title, if we can dump this sissy spread, go to a pro set or west coast and use a FB and throw to the TE"s.  This will give the WR's time to develop without putting the weight of the entire passing offense on their shoulders.

go guins:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on August 23, 2016, 10:47:48 PM ---I am going to be really, really happy when this preseason ends and the quarterback issue is resolved, one way or the other.  We have had to endure the fathers or close family friends of two candidates pushing their boys (a perfectly natural response.)  Other posters have divided into factions and insisted their guy was the only true choice.  Enough already.  I suspect that most of us just want good quarterback play and don't give a rat's butt which individual provides it.

--- End quote ---
Wish you were right, but I doubt this question gets answered all year.  We are going to play multiple QBs during the season, that much seems obvious and given any particular game, a particular one QB is going to shine, or not, and the arguments will resume.  Getting close now at least.  Week from tomorrow, and can't get here soon enough!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version