YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Penguins Conclude Busy Week With Game-Like Scrimmage

<< < (5/11) > >>

Penguin Nation:
As an example, look at the NDSU/YSU boxscore, and then imagine the outcome of the game if #12 didn't play a single down.  #12 scored a rushing TD and was the second leading rusher behind Webb, who had the game of his  life.  #12 had 61 rushing yards (despite limited playing time), and #6...2 yards rushing.  And that was with the defense knowing it was a run when #12 was put in.

The 2 QB system (ie, Davis) gave us a fighting chance.  No Davis = we get clobbered by NDSU.

Now, imagine if #12 started....imagine if #12 (who had a higher passing efficiency) was allowed to pass more than 3 attempts that game.  Imagine the rushing yards with NDSU not being telegraphed when a run was coming.

It would've been a whole different game.

http://ysusports.com/sports/fball/2015-16/boxscores/20151114_xo1q.xml

go guins:

--- Quote from: mayor on August 23, 2016, 12:37:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: go guins on August 23, 2016, 11:19:39 AM ---
--- Quote ---
My 0.02.

What Wells lacks can't be coached.  If the team succeeds with him, it's because others have compensated for his deficiencies.  It's magical thinking to think that his fear of contact and subsequent lack of mobility, will change.  He  doesn't follow progressions because the football in his hands could lead to a hit, so it is best to dump the hot potato ASAP before things get nasty.

Lots of key players are seniors this year.  With #11 or #12 we may make a run at a national championship this year.  With #6, we'll do decent, and maybe even make a round or two in the playoffs....but not reach our potential.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
So if Hunter wins, it's the guys around him, and if Davis wins it all Davis??  Really??

What chances has he had? Remember, he don't call the plays. He runs what Monty calls for him. Another thing, why are you so ready to give a new player an opportunity and not give a player that committed to YSU out of HS and has been nothing but a hard worker since he's been there a chance? Just wondering.

--- End quote ---

I see Davis in 8 games, going 8-18 for 44.4% completions and rushing 42 times for 215 with 8th best average per carry on the team.  What I said was "he as done nothing with the few chances he has had" and I stand by that.  Yes he scored a TD against NDSU; one play in 2years.  Not much to write home about.  If you think a guy that can run for less than 5 yds a carry and complete less than 45% of his passes can lead you to a national title, you should stop taking or drinking whatever you are taking or drinking.  That's what I am saying.

"why are you so ready to give a new player an opportunity and not give a player that committed to YSU out of HS and has been nothing but a hard worker since he's been there a chance?" 
You field the best team you can.  If Hosick could do the job, sure.  You want to bench Alexander because he thought he could play 1A and found he was better suited to 1AA?  That's what you are saying about Hosick.  And yes Davis works hard, but Hunter committed right out of HS and he works hard too.  So do I work hard, but I can't play QB either!  Best guy gets the job and Bo and Monty know more about football than I do, I'll trust them.  You apparently know more by watching 60 plays than either of them, so why didn't you apply for the job.  I'm sure Tressel would have hired you.  He always plays the best guys!

mayor:

--- Quote from: go guins on August 23, 2016, 03:23:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: mayor on August 23, 2016, 12:37:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: go guins on August 23, 2016, 11:19:39 AM ---
--- Quote ---
My 0.02.

What Wells lacks can't be coached.  If the team succeeds with him, it's because others have compensated for his deficiencies.  It's magical thinking to think that his fear of contact and subsequent lack of mobility, will change.  He  doesn't follow progressions because the football in his hands could lead to a hit, so it is best to dump the hot potato ASAP before things get nasty.

Lots of key players are seniors this year.  With #11 or #12 we may make a run at a national championship this year.  With #6, we'll do decent, and maybe even make a round or two in the playoffs....but not reach our potential.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
So if Hunter wins, it's the guys around him, and if Davis wins it all Davis??  Really??

What chances has he had? Remember, he don't call the plays. He runs what Monty calls for him. Another thing, why are you so ready to give a new player an opportunity and not give a player that committed to YSU out of HS and has been nothing but a hard worker since he's been there a chance? Just wondering.

--- End quote ---

I see Davis in 8 games, going 8-18 for 44.4% completions and rushing 42 times for 215 with 8th best average per carry on the team.  What I said was "he as done nothing with the few chances he has had" and I stand by that.  Yes he scored a TD against NDSU; one play in 2years.  Not much to write home about.  If you think a guy that can run for less than 5 yds a carry and complete less than 45% of his passes can lead you to a national title, you should stop taking or drinking whatever you are taking or drinking.  That's what I am saying.

"why are you so ready to give a new player an opportunity and not give a player that committed to YSU out of HS and has been nothing but a hard worker since he's been there a chance?" 
You field the best team you can.  If Hosick could do the job, sure.  You want to bench Alexander because he thought he could play 1A and found he was better suited to 1AA?  That's what you are saying about Hosick.  And yes Davis works hard, but Hunter committed right out of HS and he works hard too.  So do I work hard, but I can't play QB either!  Best guy gets the job and Bo and Monty know more about football than I do, I'll trust them.  You apparently know more by watching 60 plays than either of them, so why didn't you apply for the job.  I'm sure Tressel would have hired you.  He always plays the best guys!

--- End quote ---
Not sure about the rest of your ramblings but lets take this one statement and see how true it ends up being. Go Guins!

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: FOOTBALLFEVER on August 23, 2016, 09:36:43 AM ---
--- Quote from: IAA Fan on August 23, 2016, 08:14:56 AM ---Good point YO. I might add that if we had Ruiz last year, we would have added 2 more games to the "W" column. Perhaps even more. Then there is the Oline. We have much more experience up front & have added a larger back to our stable. There is a heck of a lot to be positive about in 2016. Any word on Ruiz?

--- End quote ---
That larger back I assume would be MCNUTT. He was primarily a LB at Mooney, but is more then capable of being our FB. The heck with preserving his redshirt, line him up in a double tight behind our powerfull offensive line on short yardage plays and send a strong message stop us if you can. There should be no need to line our TE up in the backfield this year..NONE!!

--- End quote ---

This is correct^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

YSUGO:
Good to see that our QB coach on the board has it figured out.  It's just one kids fault that we didn't succeed last year.  Same kid was voted Captain by his peers but the board QB coach knows more than the team and his coaches.  Hell even the last HC wasn't that smart either he started the same guy.  I trust the coaches on this one and the players versus A anonymous poster hiding behind a screen name questioning a kids heart.  Why don't you sit next to his family in the stands and tell them that their kid lacks toughness.  Doubt that will happen.  This is the last I will debate this unless it's about performance.  Go Penguins and whoever wins QB1!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version