YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Penguins Conclude Busy Week With Game-Like Scrimmage

<< < (4/11) > >>

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: go guins on August 23, 2016, 09:27:04 AM ---
--- Quote from: The YO Show on August 22, 2016, 05:12:28 PM ---Go, I hear what you are saying. What has been so weird last year for me regarding the offense was for my recent memory (last 5-6 years or so), I have felt that our defense has been consistently lacking and our offense was pretty good. Good enough to be playoff good. I felt like last year's defense was a huge step up, and it seemed like our offense had a big step down.

It was unfortunate, because the standard, "If only we had X to compliment Y, then our result Z would be better." and we increased X but decreased Y so no net gain. I'm hopeful for this offense, and it may just be they have been working things out for the year so far in camp. If our offense is even 40% better from last year, and our defense is supposed to be improved as well, so lets say our defense is 10% better, we are going to be a pretty dangerous team this year.

--- End quote ---
For all the Wolford years, our O was somewhere between pretty good and real good, and we couldn't stop anybody, particularly late and particularly passing.  Last year was a huge turnaround defensively.  Alexander made a HUGE difference, turning the worst position on the D to the 2nd best.  (D Rivers #1)  And you are also correct, the O went backward.  Wells was not as good his second year, nobody would deny that, and the RB situation with Ruiz hurt most of the year was at best poor.  Jody is a great change of pace guy, but not an every down back, and we had no size or strengh back there with the exception of about 10 TE runs on short yardage. (all of which I believe worked)  Now we need some help at RB and Wells to step up.

--- End quote ---

My favorite play in the entire 2015 season was LeRoy's pick 6 against Pitt that brought YSU within a score of Pitt.  At that moment, I sensed that the Pelini era had begun, and the defense is finally legit.  Now, anytime you let the ball take flight with Penguins around, it's no longer safe.  Before that play, it felt like a slow and certain death, and after it, you felt like we could make it two straight versus the Panthers.

go guins:

--- Quote ---
My favorite play in the entire 2015 season was LeRoy's pick 6 against Pitt that brought YSU within a score of Pitt.  At that moment, I sensed that the Pelini era had begun, and the defense is finally legit.  Now, anytime you let the ball take flight with Penguins around, it's no longer safe.  Before that play, it felt like a slow and certain death, and after it, you felt like we could make it two straight versus the Panthers.

--- End quote ---
I agree, that was a real seminal moment.
I don't understand why Wells' best 2 games of his career are against our best opponent.  (Yes, I think Pitt would beat NDSU last year)  A LOT on this blog question Hunter's wiliness to stand up to a tough defense and "those type players" usually fold against the best competition.   Thoughts?

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: go guins on August 23, 2016, 10:06:59 AM ---I agree, that was a real seminal moment.
I don't understand why Wells' best 2 games of his career are against our best opponent.  (Yes, I think Pitt would beat NDSU last year)  A LOT on this blog question Hunter's wiliness to stand up to a tough defense and "those type players" usually fold against the best competition.   Thoughts?

--- End quote ---

My 0.02.

What Wells lacks can't be coached.  If the team succeeds with him, it's because others have compensated for his deficiencies.  It's magical thinking to think that his fear of contact and subsequent lack of mobility, will change.  He  doesn't follow progressions because the football in his hands could lead to a hit, so it is best to dump the hot potato ASAP before things get nasty.

Lots of key players are seniors this year.  With #11 or #12 we may make a run at a national championship this year.  With #6, we'll do decent, and maybe even make a round or two in the playoffs....but not reach our potential.

go guins:

--- Quote ---
My 0.02.

What Wells lacks can't be coached.  If the team succeeds with him, it's because others have compensated for his deficiencies.  It's magical thinking to think that his fear of contact and subsequent lack of mobility, will change.  He  doesn't follow progressions because the football in his hands could lead to a hit, so it is best to dump the hot potato ASAP before things get nasty.

Lots of key players are seniors this year.  With #11 or #12 we may make a run at a national championship this year.  With #6, we'll do decent, and maybe even make a round or two in the playoffs....but not reach our potential.

--- End quote ---

I don't see it that way.  Certainly you are right, you aren't going to make a runner out of Hunter, but that doesn't mean you can't win with him.  This business of reading through progressions is REALLY hard.  Many in the NFL still struggle with it after 3-4 years of college and 10 YEARS in the NFL!  When you are standing in the pocket, and you feel pressure, dumping the ball is usually preferential to taking a sack.  No he can't take a 3 option and sprint out, but the flip side is Davis can't stand in the pocket and deliver a consistent pass, so what do you do?  Frankly if Davis was a better runner, he may be a better option, but he is NOT a great runner, just better than Wells.  I had hoped Hosick would be the guy, but that seems to not be the case.  So many, including you, tread Davis as the second coming at QB, but he has done nothing with the few chances he’s had, and so it seems that is just wishful thinking on the fans part. 

mayor:

--- Quote from: go guins on August 23, 2016, 11:19:39 AM ---
--- Quote ---
My 0.02.

--- End quote ---

I don't see it that way.  Certainly you are right, you aren't going to make a runner out of Hunter, but that doesn't mean you can't win with him.  This business of reading through progressions is REALLY hard.  Many in the NFL still struggle with it after 3-4 years of college and 10 YEARS in the NFL!  When you are standing in the pocket, and you feel pressure, dumping the ball is usually preferential to taking a sack.  No he can't take a 3 option and sprint out, but the flip side is Davis can't stand in the pocket and deliver a consistent pass, so what do you do?  Frankly if Davis was a better runner, he may be a better option, but he is NOT a great runner, just better than Wells.  I had hoped Hosick would be the guy, but that seems to not be the case.  So many, including you, tread Davis as the second coming at QB, but he has done nothing with the few chances he’s had, and so it seems that is just wishful thinking on the fans part.

--- End quote ---
What chances has he had? Remember, he don't call the plays. He runs what Monty calls for him. Another thing, why are you so ready to give a new player an opportunity and not give a player that committed to YSU out of HS and has been nothing but a hard worker since he's been there a chance? Just wondering.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version