YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Penguins Conclude Busy Week With Game-Like Scrimmage

<< < (3/11) > >>

The YO Show:
Go, I hear what you are saying. What has been so weird last year for me regarding the offense was for my recent memory (last 5-6 years or so), I have felt that our defense has been consistently lacking and our offense was pretty good. Good enough to be playoff good. I felt like last year's defense was a huge step up, and it seemed like our offense had a big step down.

It was unfortunate, because the standard, "If only we had X to compliment Y, then our result Z would be better." and we increased X but decreased Y so no net gain. I'm hopeful for this offense, and it may just be they have been working things out for the year so far in camp. If our offense is even 40% better from last year, and our defense is supposed to be improved as well, so lets say our defense is 10% better, we are going to be a pretty dangerous team this year.

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: The YO Show on August 22, 2016, 05:12:28 PM ---Go, I hear what you are saying. What has been so weird last year for me regarding the offense was for my recent memory (last 5-6 years or so), I have felt that our defense has been consistently lacking and our offense was pretty good. Good enough to be playoff good. I felt like last year's defense was a huge step up, and it seemed like our offense had a big step down.

It was unfortunate, because the standard, "If only we had X to compliment Y, then our result Z would be better." and we increased X but decreased Y so no net gain. I'm hopeful for this offense, and it may just be they have been working things out for the year so far in camp. If our offense is even 40% better from last year, and our defense is supposed to be improved as well, so lets say our defense is 10% better, we are going to be a pretty dangerous team this year.

--- End quote ---

Your X to Y analogy can best be summarized by the the saying. "Squeezing a balloon"

IAA Fan:
Good point YO. I might add that if we had Ruiz last year, we would have added 2 more games to the "W" column. Perhaps even more. Then there is the Oline. We have much more experience up front & have added a larger back to our stable. There is a heck of a lot to be positive about in 2016. Any word on Ruiz?

go guins:

--- Quote from: The YO Show on August 22, 2016, 05:12:28 PM ---Go, I hear what you are saying. What has been so weird last year for me regarding the offense was for my recent memory (last 5-6 years or so), I have felt that our defense has been consistently lacking and our offense was pretty good. Good enough to be playoff good. I felt like last year's defense was a huge step up, and it seemed like our offense had a big step down.

--- End quote ---
For all the Wolford years, our O was somewhere between pretty good and real good, and we couldn't stop anybody, particularly late and particularly passing.  Last year was a huge turnaround defensively.  Alexander made a HUGE difference, turning the worst position on the D to the 2nd best.  (D Rivers #1)  And you are also correct, the O went backward.  Wells was not as good his second year, nobody would deny that, and the RB situation with Ruiz hurt most of the year was at best poor.  Jody is a great change of pace guy, but not an every down back, and we had no size or strengh back there with the exception of about 10 TE runs on short yardage. (all of which I believe worked)  Now we need some help at RB and Wells to step up. 

FOOTBALLFEVER:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on August 23, 2016, 08:14:56 AM ---Good point YO. I might add that if we had Ruiz last year, we would have added 2 more games to the "W" column. Perhaps even more. Then there is the Oline. We have much more experience up front & have added a larger back to our stable. There is a heck of a lot to be positive about in 2016. Any word on Ruiz?

--- End quote ---
That larger back I assume would be MCNUTT. He was primarily a LB at Mooney, but is more then capable of being our FB. The heck with preserving his redshirt, line him up in a double tight behind our powerfull offensive line on short yardage plays and send a strong message stop us if you can. There should be no need to line our TE up in the backfield this year..NONE!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version