YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Duquesne VS. YSU

<< < (11/13) > >>

YSUFANSINCE1990:
 I think Penguin Nation's post nailed it.   I heard MyYTV and YSU had a falling out, usually these things are about money.  But I agree, liked the replay.

Our schedule is pathetic and a failed attempt by Ron Strollo to secure a playoff berth, how has that worked out the past decade?   Many fans don't want to come see a scrimmage and that is what we are doing my playing the two NEC teams.   I hear Strollo always wants 6 home games, sad.    Look at who North Dakota State and Northern Iowa schedule, quality FCS teams that we should be playing.   

Maybe one sure win, but not two.   If you can't beat the good FCS teams in a home and home scheduling, then you are probably not good enough to make the playoffs anyway.

ysuguins4:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on September 01, 2016, 11:46:43 PM ---First of all, s/o to the students. Prob the biggest student section for years at a YSU game.
--- End quote ---

Agreed.  Hope they continue to show up in those numbers.

IAA Fan:
Guys, I have said this before and will continue to do so. I want home games. No other way to say it. Don't care who, just get them in the Ice Castle. I want to play no one that is top-tier until we have had some string of success; so yes it will be for some time to come even if success begins this year. Just live with it. Enjoy tailgating and all the festivities & pageantry that is Penguin football. We are a DI football team, we schedule out quite a few years.

As to the game:

1. Is it just me or did that game seem to go on forever?

2. QB situation is still open. I found it interesting that Hosick passed (did not run) the entire first series. Then he was in hand-off clock churning mode his second and final series. He does have more velocity on the ball than Davis, but not as much as Wells. He is being evaluated by coach M & may yet be a starter for us.

3. Ruiz is our #1 back, no question. I love Webb, but he is a speed back, not a bread & butter back. Ruiz has more ability to make a hole. Having him come in at reserve, we made Ruiz a target, but once he was in for awhile he took over. McCaster was awesome and Alessi showed off his skills as well. Very happy to see that. That second run by Alessi (the one over the left), showed off some really good footwork; he got down low and leaped over a would-be tackler and stayed in stride.

4. Defense really has some questions, no matter what you read. We give up WAY too many yards on first-down still, then tighten up. That QB for Duquesne is a better passer than most we will see in the MVFC, but not all of them. I am not sure what game Moss was playing in, but we really did not pressure the way he indicated. I am happy the way the D-line played, but they were far from dominant.

5. Improved Dline play made life easier for the LB's, but late in the first half Duquesne mixed-up the passes inside and out ...we looked silly ...made mistakes and gave up a TD. Look for that style of offense against us all game next week ..we were exposed. As Go states, Corners need work.

6. Aside from some nice ground work. Offensively it looks like we are going back to more balance ...which is what we all hoped for after last year. Until we see some solid opposition we will not know. I would like to see more option calls. Ruiz was looking good at receiving and Webb looked like a WR out there at times ...nice job.

7. Special teams, special teams special teams. After adding a coordinator I expected something, but our coverage is terrible. We brought on some REALLY nice pressure on the punting game though. We need more height on the kick-offs. MVFC teams will take it to the house against us. Either that or we need about 10-more yards of distance to carry the ball out of the back of the end-zone. On a positive note, our speed getting down field is exceptional. Connor does not seem to have the leg strength, but I have not seen him kick-off since he began wearing a shoe ...I would have liked to see more rotation yesterday ...maybe will will in 2-weeks.  Schuler took some flack yesterday, but his punt up close was very good, no matter what the announcer said. It hit flat, so it did not roll very far, but it was just what we needed. I still have a couple of questions in that position, but I like what I am seeing.

8. Nice visiting crowd. Very vocal. Remember that for all the bi***ing people do around here, we will be forced to schedule home & home against these guys in just a couple of years. They are full-scholarship before long. YSU student section ...THANK YOU!! They left early, but that is to be expected at a night game.

ytownchief22:
Strollo wants an extra home game for revenue purposes, understandable. But for a playoff perspective, to play a high ranked FCS opponent either home or away. Say we lose that game on the road by 1 or 2 points. Tough, close game. The committee probably thinks more highly of that than beating Duquesne or Bobby Morris by 30 at home. If you're going to lose, lose early and lose out of conference.

Penguin Nation:
Two NEC/1AAA games are idiocy from every angle.  We can generate more revenue playing Kent (>$300k), it hurts recruiting, playoff selection, fan interest, attendance, and MVFC preparation.

I must assume moRon has the AD job for life, therefore MBB will perpetually suck, even post-Slocum.  FB will do well in the Pelini era, but if Carl doesn't stay on as HC, then FB too will come to resemble MBB if moRon selects the next HC after 2018.

Remember that Pelini specifically stated that it was Tressel that lured him to YSU, Tressel flew to Lincoln to meet with him, and Tressel will almost certainly seek political office in the next few years and leave YSU.

Without Tressel inserting himself into the process, moRon was going to hire Dean Hood, who was soon therafter fired by EKU.

It's a shame, because outside of the Pelini years, we'll never see revenue sports at YSU thrive....ever.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version