YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Duquesne VS. YSU

<< < (10/13) > >>

ValleyTalk:
Throwing a couple questions out there to discuss:

1--- Any clue what happened with the MyYTV deal? No more Chad doing the games. It was Jim Campbell and a sidekick, perhaps his 570 WKBN HS GOTW sidekick, calling the game on ESPN3 last night. On the 5th quarter show, someone asked about it, and they seemed tight lipped. In addition, @ytownsocial on Twitter reported a week ago that no home or away games would be on local TV this year.

2--- The Ticket Enforcers. Heard from a few people they were not too happy that they are enforcing the seating in the old GA sections and near the top of the stadium. Now I have no problem with this when we have big crowds, but the place was 50% full last night. Any thoughts?

ytownchief22:

--- Quote from: ValleyTalk on September 02, 2016, 09:16:13 AM ---Throwing a couple questions out there to discuss:

1--- Any clue what happened with the MyYTV deal? No more Chad doing the games. It was Jim Campbell and a sidekick, perhaps his 570 WKBN HS GOTW sidekick, calling the game on ESPN3 last night. On the 5th quarter show, someone asked about it, and they seemed tight lipped. In addition, @ytownsocial on Twitter reported a week ago that no home or away games would be on local TV this year.

2--- The Ticket Enforcers. Heard from a few people they were not too happy that they are enforcing the seating in the old GA sections and near the top of the stadium. Now I have no problem with this when we have big crowds, but the place was 50% full last night. Any thoughts?

--- End quote ---

1. Yeah pretty disappointed to hear that. Always liked going back to watch the replays.

2. Didn't there used to be GA seating ? Now every ticket is reserved, even sitting high up right below the box.

Penguin Nation:
The TV announcers, including Jim Campbell, were putting me to sleep.  It may work for WBB, but not FB. I'd move Drae Smith to TV play-by-play.  Bob and Chris are a great radio combo.

These 1AAA games hurt us in so many ways, and yet our AD had promised them for the foreseeable future.  One 1AAA club is fine, and I think Duquesne should be that solitary cupcake.  As a lifelong Penguin fan, it kills me to see the program reduced to basically being an associated NEC member, when we could collect big checks at Kent and whoop 'em for all of NEO to see. 

This was a larger margin of victory than what we had two years ago (11 points) and supposedly this is a much improved Dukes team.  The officiating was among the worst I've seen and the MOV should've been larger. 

Everything looked solid including run D and O line.  Davis was outstanding, and so was Trent.  If Trent were the starter, then we'd also be solid at QB.  Obviously playing a Big 12 or MVFC is a whole different matter, but this year, IMO, anything is possible, including a national championship and wins at Fargo and Morgantown.  I've not been this optimistic since the Tressel years.

Penguin Nation:
Charles in today's Vindy:

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/sep/01/ysu-rolls-610-yards-rout-duquesne/?nw

YOUNGSTOWN — The Youngstown State football team crushed Duquesne 45-10 in the season opener for both teams Thursday night at Stambaugh Stadium.

The Penguins rolled up 610 yards, including 384 on the ground, in dismantling the Dukes. Duquesne made the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs last season, but couldn't stop YSU.

Three Penguins running backs ran for at least 89 yards. Senior Jody Webb ran for 96 yards on seven carries and became the 19th player in school history to run for at least 2,000 yards in a career. Sophomore Tevin McCaster led the Penguins with 107 yards rushing on just seven attempts while Martin Ruiz had 89 yards on 11 carries.

Junior quarterback Ricky Davis was 12 pf 16 for 187 yards and three touchdowns in his first college start. Davis also ran for 74 yards

Junior Darien Townsend was a favorite target of Davis catching three passes for 91 yards, including the first two touchdown catches of his career.

Penguin Nation:
Another Vindy article from Charles:

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/sep/02/ysu-hazard-for-dukes/

Penguins seize control behind Davis at QB

By Charles Grove

cgrove@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

For those who had concerns whether the Youngstown State offense was going to be able to move the ball, breathe a sigh of relief.

The Penguins racked up 610 yards of offense in Thursday’s 45-10 blowout of Duquesne at Stambaugh Stadium, opening their season in dominating fashion.

The Penguins capitalized with a quick start as Ricky Davis hit Darien Townsend for a 49-yard touchdown pass before two minutes had left the clock.

“It was huge,” Davis said. “It really set the tone for the night. I threw it and got the wind knocked out of me and thought it was incomplete, and then I heard the fans roar. It was exciting.”

Davis, who had known for a few weeks that he was going to be the starting quarterback, was impressive to say the least. He completed 12 of 16 passes for 187 yards and three touchdowns and ran 10 times for 74 yards.

Townsend was the main receiving threat. He had three catches — including two touchdowns — for 91 yards.

“I believe I made a good statement tonight but after the game walking down the tunnel I was already thinking about West Virginia,” Davis said.

The Penguins were balanced offensively rushing for 394 yards and throwing for 216. The offensive line dominated Duquesne’s front seven, opening up big holes all night and keeping the backfield protected.

Jody Webb finished with 96 yards and Martin Ruiz rushed for 89 yards and a touchdown. Third-string running back Tevin McCaster picked up 107 yards in the final quarter when the game was no longer in question.

“I thought we had a good mix tonight,” YSU head coach Bo Pelini said. “We weren’t one dimensional and it kept them on their toes. The O-line blocked well tonight.”

Defensively, the defense lived up to the hype. Duquesne quarterback Dillon Buechel was limited to 188 yards passing and the Dukes managed just 34 yards on the ground.

Once the Dukes fell behind, it was apparent the running game had to be at least in part abandoned.

“It’s going to be a good year,” Pelini said speaking about the defense. “I thought we competed really well on the outside.”

Defensive end Avery Moss said once the team knew the pass was coming, that made the night enjoyable.

“It just makes the game more fun,” Moss said. “You’ve got Derek Rivers on the other side and Jaylin [Kelly] bitzing like crazy. It’s just makes everything fun.

Duquesne made the game interesting when trailing 24-7 a couple of minutes before halftime. The Dukes drove down the field and scored a late touchdown as Buechel hit Nehari Crawford from six yards out to make it a two-score game.

But that was all the Dukes could muster.

A quick possession after halftime and another Penguins score erased nearly all the doubt of the outcome.

“It was important to step on their throats after we kind of gave them life,” Pelini said. “We had a good start to the third quarter and got the momentum back which I thought was good.”

The overall grade Davis and the coaching staff gave out? Good but still things to work on before the Penguins head to Morgantown to face West Virginia.

“I just need to clean up some little mistakes and get ready for West Virginia,” Davis said. “There were a couple of mistakes I wish I could have back.”

But the extra time off after a Thursday opener should help.

“The days off are huge,” Davis said. “We’ll need a lot of preparation.”

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version