Author Topic: Duquesne VS. YSU  (Read 34763 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Duquesne VS. YSU
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 04:09:56 PM »
I absolutely love college football, it's like the return of an old friend.  Looking forward to seeing old tailgate friends tonight, most of whom I have not seen since November.  If YSU has any shot at WVU, we really need to blow Duquesne out but I think the game is going to be close, YSU 31-24.

Anything less will be deemed a loss.  Need to impress the skeptical local folk to fill the Castle in 2016.

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/083016aaa.html

FBS INFLUENCE: There are 12 players who were previously on FBS rosters on the Duquesne roster in 2016, nine of whom are on the Dukes' opening day two-deep. Those players include senior WR Wayne Capers, Jr. (Arizona), sophomore QB Kareem Coles (Idaho), junior WR Jaquan Davidson (Pitt), sophomore LB Bryan Glover (Eastern Michigan), junior LB Carter Henderson (Penn State), junior WR Thomas Lucas (UConn), redshirt P/PK Mitch MacZura (Ohio State), junior WR Chavas Rawlins (West Virginia), graduate transfer WR Blair Roberts (Old Dominion), sophomore DB Brandon Stanback (Buffalo), senior LB Gary Wooten (Penn State) and sophomore DB Daquan Worley (Penn State).
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2016, 04:40:51 PM »
Could someone post a starting lineup for Duquesne? Thanks

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2016, 06:42:29 PM »
Painful pregame interview with moRon.  We'll be playing two NEC teams/season for the foreseable future.  No challenge from the interviewer at all.  Just slobbery accolades.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2016, 11:03:44 PM »
Not to say I told you so........but I said they wouldn't score more than ten points on the defense.  Clearly I was correct in my analysis. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2016, 11:46:43 PM »
First of all, s/o to the students. Prob the biggest student section for years at a YSU game. Duquesne was obviously worse than we all thought. Good to see Ricky get all the snaps. We can really succeed with this kid. Interesting to see Hosick play. Either Wells is really still banged up or Hosick has passed him up. I see Brock is out on the OL for a couple weeks with injury. Fraser did an admirable job. WR's actually impressed. Seems they rotate about 5-6 deep in and out. Defense lights out as always. Solid performance all around. Onto WVU!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 11:54:08 PM by ytownchief22 »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2016, 11:49:58 PM »
Bo and Shane just playing mind games with us all.

Charles Grove ‏@CgroveVindy  42m42 minutes ago

Ricky Davis said he knew he was the starter for a few weeks and asked it to be kept a secret. #YSU @vindicator

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2016, 12:03:54 AM »
Guys,

As I see it, if you run the QB in the mvfc, you will need at least 3.  They will kill a running QB. If that is the strategy, then we will need all of them.  Stupid strategy.  Run out of a power O as we did earlier in the game.  This isn't rocket science.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:06:59 AM by penguinpower »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2016, 12:06:26 AM »
Very acceptable for the opener.  O-line did their jobs, albeit against a very weak defense.  Davis looked like a good match for this type of offense.  Wide receivers passed their initial test, but we have to see them operate against the better teams in the league before we let them off the hook.

Nice pressure on the Duquesne quarterback who certainly is legit.  And penguinpower, nice job by the new punter, your relative, I believe?  Two punts: one to the 13 yard line and the other one to the 9.  Can't ask for more.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2016, 12:07:09 AM »
Ricky is built solidly and is tough but he does need to be careful. I'll take a QB who can run over a sitting duck back there any day though...

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2016, 12:07:42 AM »
#11 and #9 are going to be problems all year for opposing offenses. Glad they're on our side!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2016, 12:08:58 AM »
Very acceptable for the opener.  O-line did their jobs, albeit against a very weak defense.  Davis looked like a good match for this type of offense.  Wide receivers passed their initial test, but we have to see them operate against the better teams in the league before we let them off the hook.

Nice pressure on the Duquesne quarterback who certainly is legit.  And penguinpower, nice job by the new punter, your relative, I believe?  Two punts: one to the 13 yard line and the other one to the 9.  Can't ask for more.

Yes my relative. 1st cousin, although I am much older as the family had 13 kids on my father's side.  Mark was the ring bearer in my wedding
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:25:58 AM by penguinpower »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2016, 04:32:14 AM »
Good game by the penguins. Watched on my phone on espn 3 at work. Penguin power,  which engineering program did you graduate from at YSU?

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2016, 08:11:03 AM »
Great night for football.  Good to see students out supporting their school.  How about that whistle! Defense showed it can get it done.  Special teams it's all about the Kennedy. He can kick it.  Team played with some emotion which I hadn't seen in awhile. Davis was ok.  He is the typical run first QB but against the Dukes anybody would of looked good.  He has improved but don't see him looking off receivers no different than Wells, but he can run.  He has improved.  But again the competition skews it.  He won't last long if we run him to death.  I agree with Penguinpower on that.  Rivers is a beast.  Liked the 3rd string RB.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2016, 08:37:57 AM »

You always hope to learn a lot about your team in the first game.  But I didn't learn much last night.  I saw a lot I already knew:
Rivers is a draft pick in waiting
D-line overall is good.
Linebackers solid.
Kicking game more than solid.
Ruiz is far better than Webb and should be starter (I'd use Webb in the slot like we did Stubbs, to get them both on the field, especially since we have a 3rd TB in Tevin)
OL is huge and far too big for teams like Duquesne
What I wanted to find out and didn't:
Can secondary hold up to big time passing attack. (Early evidence is questionable)
Can Davis actually town 1AA quality passes.  (Had 3-4 really nice throws, but also stared down every receiver and was late getting rid of the ball a couple times.  Works against inferior competition, but not MVFC)
Can receivers catch under pressure?  (Had decent game, but also a couple drops on less than perfect but catchable balls.  No results against pressure situations because we didn't have any pressure)
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2016, 09:05:37 AM »
Nice overall team win and Davis was solid in his first career start. Let's face it guys the N.E.C. can be just God awful at times. Our week 3 opponent R.M.U. was beat by Alderson Broaddus a division 2 team. I can't even get excited to listen to that game on the radio. I just think these games do very little to get you ready for conference play. I look for Duquesne to be know better then a .500 team this year. South Dakota our conference opener, played New Mexico good for a quarter before getting blowing out..Bring on the Mountaineers!!