YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Countdown to 2016 FB Season!

<< < (14/73) > >>

ytownchief22:
More competition the better is how I see it.... What has this group of players earned ? Just because you're an upperclassmen does not mean you deserve to play. May the best player see the field.

go guins:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on July 27, 2016, 11:15:21 AM ---More competition the better is how I see it.... What has this group of players earned ? Just because you're an upperclassmen does not mean you deserve to play. May the best player see the field.

--- End quote ---
Exactly. 5-6 doesn't earn you any entitlements!

FOOTBALLFEVER:
The same could be said for the coaches who blew 3 games

go guins:

--- Quote from: FOOTBALLFEVER on July 27, 2016, 12:18:18 PM ---The same could be said for the coaches who blew 3 games

--- End quote ---
While I agree the coaches also don't have any entitlements due, I didn't see a coach miss a block or miss a tackle in any of the games last season.  It's always easy to clobber somebody with a keyboard, and hammering on the coaches for a lose is easy, but what was the thing my mother used to say, "people who live in glass houses......."  Nobody is perfect and our players and coaches (and fans) are included.   

IAA Fan:
Who plays and whom does not is a huge topic that could go on all year. I have a way of looking at it.

1. We only have 63 scholarships equivalents, so we should not have Fr., So., Jr. & Sr. at every position. That means you have non-scholarship guys (usually minor abilities) or your coach really cheats. So I would expect to see 2 to 3 years between position/player classes. That being said, the odds of an underclassmen being a better player that an upperclassmen should be very rare.

2. "Better" vs. "Ability": Just because a young player has more ability than a more experienced player, does not make him a better player. This where your coaching comes into play and was coach Wolf's BIGGEST problem. Not to open any wounds, but when I saw Moore take a few snaps at TB, I knew right away that he was something special. Yet, I said, let's RS that guy, as we had 3 solid backs. One graduating in 2-years & the others graduating in 3-years. This year is the final year for Ruiz and Webb, with Hymes graduating last year.

3. Earning your spot. If I earn my spot I expect to keep it. There better be some substantial differences in performance for a younger player to step over an experienced player.

-As a Frosh: I should expect to practice with the team & maybe see some reps.
-As a Soph: I should have a Senior in front of me (if my coach recruits well) and I should expect to to see more reps, but the senior is going to start.
-As a Junior: I am the starter if my coach recruited well. If there is a Senior, it is probably either (a medical situation) where the senior should start if he is healthy, or he is a true student athlete (more brains than player) ...so either way I am going to see substantial playing time, if not the majority.
-As a senior: If I played my cards right & I am healthy; I should be playing the best ball of my life and the coach DOES owe me that starting spot. Coaches better realize this, as they will be losing players (at all classes) and recruits if they get a reputation of not rewarding the contributors.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version