YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Countdown to 2016 FB Season!

<< < (47/73) > >>

FOOTBALLFEVER:
Bo reporting to Charles Grove No Decision will be made untill possibly the 1st game. Bo probably wants to see if the receivers can improve. It's really hard to say how Montgomery will open any game from week to week. Trent looks to be a non-factor when just about everyone thought he was brought in to replace Wells

ytownchief22:
WR's look to be a big issue. Can't throw the ball if nobody can get open. Hence why Ricky is the best option because of his running ability.

FOOTBALLFEVER:
I do think the coaches got what they wanted out of this competition so far. When Ricky's in this year teams will play him completely different and he will be forced to throw the ball, Unlike last year when they stacked the box and dared him to throw

go guins:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on August 17, 2016, 12:20:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: go guins on August 17, 2016, 12:16:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on August 17, 2016, 12:11:20 PM ---I agree.  I don't want to see a 2 QB system.  No need for it if your starter has a complete skill set including mobility and escapability.

Why do people (coaches for example) do the same thing expecting different results?

--- End quote ---
I had hoped Hosick was the happy middle, but seems like we have one QB who is an OK runner, but can't throw and one OK thrower that can't run.  Given the choice, you HAVE to throw the ball in today's spread offense world. Sorry Ricky

--- End quote ---

I completely disagree. Look at some of these teams with spread systems who are successful. You have to be able to use your legs now a days as a QB. It's such a weapon. Especially in the college game. Ricky can throw just as well as Hunter can when given the opportunity.

--- End quote ---
"You have to use your legs" Yeah, like the 3 best QB's in the last decade, Brady, Manning and Rodgers? 

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because the key to the spread it throwing far more than QB running. Even Mariota at Oregon threw far more than he ran.  But that wasn't my point.  My point is AGAINST the spread, you need to score a ton and you can't score a ton with 2 180-190 tailbacks and no fullback and a mediocre running QB that can’t throw.  We MUST throw to win and while anybody can type "Ricky can throw as well as Hunter", it doesn't mean a damn thing because he can't.  Why do you think the coaches gave the job to Wells?  To sabotage the team and keep the superior player Davis on the bench?  Obviously they gave the job to Hunter because he was superior to the ok running poor passing of Davis.  Good grief man, he completes 44% of he passes.  Wells, at 54% is 10% lower than needed.  Where to you think Davis gets the 20% improvement?  And remember, watch the games, Davis is NOT a great runner either!  He is better than Wells, but NOT great.
I hope you are right, but there is certainly NO evidence to support your position. 

ytownchief22:
Lol, now you are talking about NFL QB's. I said especially in the college game. Look at Boykin at TCU, Greg Ward at Houston, Deshaun Watson at Clemson, heck even JT Barrett down in Columbus. All able to use their legs and those are some of the top teams in the nation. Mariota ran for 770 yards and 15 TD's his last year at Oregon so what as your point ?.. The numbers are skewed on Davis and Wells because the joke of an OC that we have ONLY brought in Davis to run the ball last year. Literally defenses would scream "RUN" because they knew Davis was only brought in to run the ball. In a perfect world, with the Dallas Cowboys O-Line and Dez Bryant out there catching footballs, yes Wells would be the ideal QB. That is not  the case with us. Mediocre O-Line and WR's who can't get open easily. Davis gives this team the best chance to win.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version