YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Countdown to 2016 FB Season!

<< < (31/73) > >>

Double ET:

--- Quote from: The YO Show on August 10, 2016, 07:43:26 AM ---FYI, realized my last post may have sounded sarcastic. It was genuine as I do not get print Vindy copies. 22 days

--- End quote ---

From today's Vindy:

Montgomery’s

crew improving

By Charles Grove

cgrove@vindy.com

youngstown

As the Youngstown State offense gets more and more of the playbook implemented, you could be reminded of the saying, “Slow and steady wins the race.”

The offense is beginning to hold its own a bit more each time they go up against the talented YSU defense as roster positions continue to be evaluated.

“This is my fourth college now and I’ve never been a part of a team where the defense didn’t win early on in camp,” YSU quarterback Trent Hosick said. “That’s just kind of how it goes.”

While the YSU passing attack is still leaving something to be desired, the rushing attack was able to do some damage against what, on paper at least, should be one of the top defenses in the Missouri Valley Football Conference. Draw plays and dives with pulling linemen were noticeably more effective than they were the first few practices.

“Our running game has been nice,” Hosick said. “We’ve improved from the spring. A lot of that has to do with the offensive line. We got some big first downs in our third-down drill today and we won that the other day. Any day we come out and beat this defense, we’re doing something right.”

The rushing attack does have the experience when compared to the wide receivers. Martin Ruiz and Jody Webb will be one and two as far as running backs go, but things are still very much up in the air as far as the receivers are concerned.

“We’ve got guys within the [first string], especially at receiver, that haven’t played a lot of football,” YSU offensive coordinator Shane Montgomery said. “They’re still learning the offense. I think their effort is really good, but it’s all about consistency.”

The young receivers are also still catching passes from all four quarterbacks at about the same rate. It doesn’t appear any quarterback is getting significantly more reps than any of the others vying for the starting job.

“This is my 26th year coaching and this is probably the most quarterbacks I’ve been trying to get an equal number of reps,” Montgomery said. “Traditionally you have one or two that get the majority of the reps and the third and fourth guys don’t get as many. But we have a lot of guys that we feel are capable of playing so we’re trying to get them as equal reps as possible.”

The idea that the offense is beginning to move the ball more consistently despite only having a portion of the playbook installed could be a sign of good things to come. Montgomery believes the real growth of the team will occur more as players more fully understand the playbook.

“I think we’re physically talented enough that if we put ourselves in position to make a play we’ll be able to do it,” Montgomery said. “Just the mental part of the game has to keep coming through each day.”

As far as depth is concerned, things appear in good shape with the running backs and offensive linemen.

“We’re trying to figure out who’s going to be three, four and five on the depth chart at running back,” Montgomery said. “Most teams don’t have a lot of people that deep but we’ve got some guys we think can help us there.

“Coach [Carmen] Bricillo and I have been here seven years and we think this offensive line is probably as good and deep as we’ve ever had. We can probably go to seven, eight and nine where we haven’t in the past. We’re going to lean on those guys. We’ve been able to run the ball a lot in years past and we’ve got to continue to do that. It’ll take a lot of the pressure off of the passing game.”

Other stories of interest
U.S. swimmers Phelps, Ledecky add to gold collection
- See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/aug/10/college-football-ysus-offense-makes-soli/?newswatch#sthash.m5Veixtv.dpuf

Penguin Nation:
Seriously?

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/fcs-coaches-poll

ytownchief22:
Funny to listen to Montgomery about how deep and talented the O-Line is... When just last year, they couldn't hold a block to save their lives and were so depleted, even in the spring. I have a feeling the passing game is going to be a big issue, regardless of who the QB is.

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on August 10, 2016, 09:57:45 AM ---Seriously?

--- End quote ---

About as expected in terms of balance. Remember coach chose from their own conference. A few that stick out for me:

SHS a bit overrated.
Portland State and Montana both overrated.
Colgate underrated
Eastern Washington and Northern AZ both overrated, but NAU is going to be interesting this year.
Fordham underrated
N Dakota overrated.
Nova is really overrated, but will not be by season's end. Could be the best team in the CAA this year.
WIU and YSU are interchangeable, but WIU has proven they can make the dance so they deserve it more.
I think Penn and Harvard should be switched.
Duquesne and Monmouth should be switched, while UD should be higher than both of them. RMU is better than both of them and not even rated.

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on August 10, 2016, 11:03:47 AM ---
--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on August 10, 2016, 09:57:45 AM ---Seriously?

--- End quote ---

About as expected in terms of balance. Remember coach chose from their own conference. A few that stick out for me:

SHS a bit overrated.
Portland State and Montana both overrated.
Colgate underrated
Eastern Washington and Northern AZ both overrated, but NAU is going to be interesting this year.
Fordham underrated
N Dakota overrated.
Nova is really overrated, but will not be by season's end. Could be the best team in the CAA this year.
WIU and YSU are interchangeable, but WIU has proven they can make the dance so they deserve it more.
I think Penn and Harvard should be switched.
Duquesne and Monmouth should be switched, while US should be higher than both of them. RMU is better than both of them and not even rated.

--- End quote ---

I'd have more than 5 MVFC teams in there, including YSU.  The Patriot is weak and should not have two teams in.  Colgate I could sorta see barely making it as they beat two CAA teams before getting blasted by SHSU (who themselves were blasted in the next round). Fordham got destroyed in the first round last year, and the year before slammed by UNH after getting a cupcake first round against Sacred Heart.  Once these girls play OOC they get pummeled, and yet they are always ranked high.  Harvard, who knows because they never expose themselves to legit OOC games.  They're playing Georgetown this year, for example.

There are 5-6 teams in the Coaches top 25 I would expect YSU to win convincingly.  These polls are for amusement only but I'd expect a little more from Coaches than sports writers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version