YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

UNI playing Montana, when will we play a non conference game that matters?

<< < (4/6) > >>

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: penguinpower on May 08, 2016, 12:16:19 PM ---"If you want to be the best you have to beat the best"- Coach Jim Tressel

--- End quote ---

Easy to say when you coach OSU. This quote is from a coach that lost to just about every good I-AA team he ever played in the regular season. The NCAA imposed rules for sub-IAA games and nicknamed it "The Tressel Rule"... did not even try to cover that nickname up. One year prior, we had 2 PSAC clubs (I want to say the Rock and Lockhaven) and Carson-Newman on the same schedule. Carson Newman was superior to us. That could have been the year we played California(PA) and were outplayed in that game as well.

UNI always challenges for the MVFC & beats ISU ...that is why they can lose these real games and make the post-season. Then they beat a crappy Iowa State team and the selection committee unjustly awards them a bid. There should be no non-FCS/I-AA games allowed then I would be okay with playing a quality I-AA foe in the regular season. Instead the NCAA basically forces FCS schools to play a money-game and says nothing to the Big-10 when they refuse to play down.

You are quoting a man that dropped out fo the OVC because it was easier to get into the post-season as an independent, than beat MTSU and EKU. Look how much our other sports suffered in the process.

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on May 08, 2016, 12:30:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: IAA Fan on May 08, 2016, 12:10:36 PM --- Fans want to tailgate and watch a game.

--- End quote ---

Fans...the ones that are left...want to win....and have meaningful wins over relevant opponents.

We know the outcome of having an OOC schedule full of partial scholly schools...and it's been a disaster.

Why, in all seriousness, would we continue this?

--- End quote ---

Just completely untrue. I want every team YSU plays to be undefeated when we play them and 10-1 at the end of the season; but then I got off my mother's breast. YSU fans want to go to the post-season ...win championships. Playing good teams in the OOC portion of your schedule is insane, until we see that we can advance into and within the post-season.

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on May 08, 2016, 01:00:14 PM ---
--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on May 08, 2016, 12:30:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: IAA Fan on May 08, 2016, 12:10:36 PM --- Fans want to tailgate and watch a game.

--- End quote ---

Fans...the ones that are left...want to win....and have meaningful wins over relevant opponents.

We know the outcome of having an OOC schedule full of partial scholly schools...and it's been a disaster.

Why, in all seriousness, would we continue this?

--- End quote ---

Just completely untrue. I want every team YSU plays to be undefeated when we play them and 10-1 at the end of the season; but then I got off my mother's breast. YSU fans want to go to the post-season ...win championships. Playing good teams in the OOC portion of your schedule is insane, until we see that we can advance into and within the post-season.

--- End quote ---

Generally, a team (or person, depending on the sport) plays up or down to the level of competition.  You get better playing stronger competition and weaker playing lightweights.

We would be better prepared going into conference play 1-2 after playing true 1AA or FBS programs, than what we have been doing, which is going into conference play 2-1, and largely under-prepared for MVFC competition.

Again, we have well over a decade of data of playing faux FCS programs.  We know beyond any doubt what the results are of this is.  It is madness to continue it.

ytownchief22:
The 2 years that we were on the bubble for playoffs with Wolf. You think maybe, just maybe instead of playing Duquesne or Youngstown East, if we played another respectable FCS opponent and won the game or even lost by a close score, we would have made it?

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on May 08, 2016, 02:10:49 PM ---The 2 years that we were on the bubble for playoffs with Wolf. You think maybe, just maybe instead of playing Duquesne or Youngstown East, if we played another respectable FCS opponent and won the game or even lost by a close score, we would have made it?

--- End quote ---

I think perhaps if we were not #4 in the conference and had lost to #1, #2, #3 and #9 we might have made the play-off. OOC strength had zero to with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version