YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

EMU faculty, students: Drop out of Division I football

<< < (2/4) > >>

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on April 25, 2016, 11:48:55 PM ---EMU might be shocked to discover that the Horizon League would not take them.  I doubt that Oakland and Detroit want another competitor in their backyard. 

The obscene amount of student debt with which college graduates are burdened might just be the catalyst that will force many of the "make believe" FBS schools to turn to FCS or no football at all.  As Nation and others have noted many times, the status quo is not sustainable.

--- End quote ---

The competitor (EMU) would be downgrading to a lower RPI conference, and be less appealing to potential recruits.  It would bring EMU down to OU and UDM's level, and erase their recruiting advantage.  I would think OU, who was the Vegas 16 runner-up, would have then have the strongest mid-major recruiting advantage in that region.

Geographically, I think EMU fits the HL like a glove.  I think the HL would love a higher attendance and greater local interest in the HL tournament now held annually in Detroit.  Also, he HL has made clear its desire to dominate the Detroit media market. IMO, EMU, UDM and OU would be analogous to Kent, Akron, and YSU in the OVC days...the greatest rivalry games YSU FB has ever seen.

From reading HL forums, it is my understanding that the HL is very interested in further expansion.

Regarding FB, the only conference that makes sense is the MVFC, except EMU (1-11/0-8) would be upgrading conferences (based on Sagarin and Massey ratings) and likely be further demoralized with ~3-5 conference records....or worse as they would lose 23 schollies and lose the allure to recruits of playing for a faux-FBS program.

If I were the AD or president of EMU, I would lobby similarly situated MAC programs also in dire financial straights, and try to either move the entire MAC to FCS or gather enough MAC schools to form a conference, and invite YSU to it.  Why should these struggling MAC programs resist the inevitable? The NEC and Big South only each have 7 teams, so could this new conference.

It could look somethings like this:

EMU
Akron
Kent
YSU
Miami (OH)
Ball State
Ohio U

If you get Ball State, I wouldn't be surprised if ISUb wouldn't be lured in.

Just thinking about such a conference gets me fired up.  With less conference games, you could play more $$ games.  Such a conference would be a win for the fans, the students...everyone except the MAC and MVFC commissioners.  #ByeFelicia

ysuguins4:
Check out that USA Today report that's mentioned in this article.  With student debt rising and state support decreasing, there's no way these universities will be able to continue to ask the students to fund the majority of the athletic department.

go guins:
"It could look somethings like this:

EMU
Akron
Kent
YSU
Miami (OH)
Ball State
Ohio U

If you get Ball State, I wouldn't be surprised if ISUb wouldn't be lured in.

Just thinking about such a conference gets me fired up.  With less conference games, you could play more $$ games.  Such a conference would be a win for the fans, the students...everyone except the MAC and MVFC commissioners.  #ByeFelicia"

Don't get too fired up just yet.  You need several more schools and if you played this schedule today, YSU wouldn't be favored in a single game.  Any your $$$ game scenario is completely bogus.  Who would you play without the BIG and without the MAC, who’s left and why don’t you play them now instead of Dayton, etc.? 

IMO this whole blog should be focused on winning football and sports a lot more and how to make money at small college athletics a lot less (particularly since it is impossible to make money at small college athletics!)

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: go guins on April 26, 2016, 02:02:29 PM ---YSU wouldn't be favored in a single game.  Any your $$$ game scenario is completely bogus.  Who would you play without the BIG and without the MAC, who’s left and why don’t you play them now instead of Dayton, etc.? 

--- End quote ---

YSU's Massey rating is 119, which is higher than Buffalo (120), U Mass (129), Ball State (130), Kent(138), Miami (OH) (140), and wayyy higher than EMU at 177.....and that's after a losing season breaking in a new HC.

Of the list I provided, the only schools that would be favored over YSU would be Ohio U and Akron (barely...and they had an unusually good year in 2015)

As I said, a move from the MAC to the MVFC is an upgrade, the likes of which I'm not sure EMU can handle.  They may very well be another Misery State.

IAA Fan:
Missouri Sate is exactly what we want to be, outside of football. Lady Bears Basketball:

NCAA Tourney: 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2006 ...with 3 final-4 appearances.

WNIT: 2002, 2005, 2011, 2012, 2015 (2005 Champions)

During that same time the Bears MBB have had zero NCAA appearances, 6 NIT and 2 CIT. nothing but CIT since 2010.

This will get us into almost any conference we want. It will be hard for us to get football back up, but the truth is that if we want to perform well in women's sports (which can be done for a lot less $$$ than comparable men's sports) we have to prioritize out monies ...which is exactly what has been going on

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version