Author Topic: YSU vs WVU  (Read 89064 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs WVU
« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2016, 09:48:42 AM »
Take a few drops away and it'd be a different game.

Next week we play a hapless 0-2 NEC team, and other than resting injured players, it'll set us back.  Kent, who would pay us >$300k to play 45 minutes away, just lost to a MEAC team (ranked below YSU)  at home.  Scheduling malpractice.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2016, 10:22:57 AM »
Was at the game. Really hot which I think hurt us on the defensive front.  Pass defense is what did us in for the most part.  For the level of opponent I think our offence was ok and our run defense ok. Special teams was a pleasant surprise.

I know our defensive coaches are really top notch so I guess they thought we needed to play man most of the time and single coverage on some really tall fast receivers.  Maybe that is what made our run defense as good as it was.

As for their fans I think they were great.  Treated really well. My worst experience was the 99 championship game again Georgia Southern; really bad.  The OSU fans were not great for sure the 2 times in Columbus. Also the South Dakota fans were really nice out there.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2016, 10:35:56 AM »
WVU has tremendous skill and speed at WR. They are all over NFL rosters. Don't be too discouraged.

The WVU QB dropped some perfect balls on those deep routes, tip of the hat to him not much you can do there.

Otherwise we held our own all other phases.

If Ricky is out then that's a bigger loss than just getting an L in the W-L column. It will also to be amusing to watch us get less votes in the polls which happens after every one of these games.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 11, 2016, 10:36:40 AM »
We have a long way to go to being a championship team. A few drops really. Hell we almost got picked 6 twice .  We were lucky.  Our QB play was mediocre and they even dummied down the offense for Davis.  Run Run Ricky can't be the whole offense. We missed Webb big play abiiity.  I listened to the press conference and Pelini hit it on the nose they need to coach better.  Missouri played a deep cover 2 to limit Wv going long on them.  Made them throw underneath.  What did we do. Not that.  Even Alexander said they bit time after time on the run fake and left the CB's on an island by themselves.  We never adjusted to that. Too many third and longs. This is a 6 or7 win team at best unless we get better play from The Secondary which trust me the conference took notes on this game at QB.  Vanilla offense QB locks on WR 1. Needs work on Reading Defenses and at the first sight of trouble runs , which the opponents will want.  Oh Rb's or average no Homerun threat there and what happened to Ruiz he always got better as the game went on.  WRs mediocre on getting separation other than the big play and a few to Scott.  Punter did good.  Why no bubble screens that would help on early downs get positive yardage etc.  Our QB play and WR play hasn't improved other than they are mobile.  We have the bullsh** game next week then it gets serious.  Sorry I want us to win but what I saw was not what gonna get us to the playoffs. 

« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 10:38:48 AM by YSUGO »
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2016, 10:39:23 AM »
Other than the deep balls we played great.  Too much depth to run around in that heat hurt us.  Overall was very pleased with the tenacity and not backing down to the pushing and shoving attitude of the WR and DB from WVU.  Nice to see a little chip on the shoulder.  Going to be an interesting run through the conference this year.  Hosick looked good, not having Webb hurt also.  Very pleased with the defense against the run..very few sustained drives. 

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2016, 10:45:13 AM »
Some takeaways I saw. 

Davis throws too high for the most part.  Misses open receivers.  Never looks for #2 guy and takes off running too quick.  He will be hurt bad before end of season.

Not sure why Wells has not played at all.  WV pass defense was not good.  Could have passed all over them.

Our secondary needs work.  Corners never look back for the ball.  I noticed this last week.  Man coverage is fine if CBs are good. 

We still do not seem to make adjustments at halftime.  Played a good first half and made no changes for second.  We lost the second half and the game.  Sound familiar?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 10:55:00 AM by Buddy »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2016, 10:51:11 AM »
The Bison are the measuring stick for me.  Should be for us. But no playoffs have caused us to not expect much.  Yea we played WV tough but we are a ways away. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2016, 11:01:10 AM »
We gave up 600+ yards.  WV is good but they aren't the Buckeyes.  Do u think That that the Bison and even Northern Iowa would find that acceptable. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2016, 11:20:16 AM »
Watched the game on tv. Agree with the all comments by other. We know Wells can pass but cannot run; Davis can pass and can run; Hosick can run, can pass and can pass during run but threw an int.

I like to see more of Hosick next game and I hope he could look of the DB and would also be able to find other receivers. Davis still locked the primary receiver. Lack of depth hurted the defense in the second half when our offense could not mount any drives in the 3Q.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2016, 11:20:33 AM »
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 11, 2016, 11:48:28 AM »
I am still surprised Wells has not seen the field.  I would like to see him play next week.  I do not think the running QBs will survive the season. 

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 11, 2016, 12:00:41 PM »
The more I see of Trent the more I think he should start.  Both QBs are very good.  Davis has not thrown a pic last year or this year, and was the leading rusher yesterday, but I didn't think he was a single read QB until yesterday, and his passes were high.  His TD passes Vs Duquesne were from the pocket, and I think the criticism that he is a tuck and run QB is not accurate.  But Trent has shown he can move the ball.  One pic can be forgiven.  After those two, I'd groom Nathan for the future.  If Wells was in, WVU would've left lanes open and blitzed him, if they studied old film on him, and it wouldn't have been pretty. 
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2016, 12:08:37 PM »
Well let's just hope the QB's keep improving.  I agree with you Penguin Nation for the most part. It's just hard to get an accurate assessment with how we schedule before league.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Grapestreet

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2016, 12:15:30 PM »
 The WVU fans was outstanding and yes it was hot but its been hot all summer. The boys need to hydrate. We had them beat as did we have Pitt Beat.  I think McCaster is the future and Ricky was fine. some misreads yes but ok. We have to get the secondary right. Other teams will watch the film and air it out going forward. We had no pass rush on the defensive side of the ball and  I could have stood back there and threw 5 TD's.  GO GUINS!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2016, 12:27:48 PM »
Well let's just hope the QB's keep improving.  I agree with you Penguin Nation for the most part. It's just hard to get an accurate assessment with how we schedule before league.

Agree.  RMU will not expose any weaknesses that will need to be addressed before MVFC play.

Maybe its a down year for the conference.  UNI lost.  NDSU w/ 2 OT wins.  A lot of things are lining up well for us this year to do well in the MVFC.