YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Spring Game

<< < (9/14) > >>

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: go guins on April 19, 2016, 03:16:44 PM ---penguinpower
"Keep in mind Wentz and the back-up rarely made incredible throws."
Because you say it's so, doesn't make it so.  You think the NFL is so interested in Wentz at #1 overall becuase he rarely made an incredable throw and just tucked and ran?  Don't write stupid stuff, it detracts from some of your better comments.

"However, we faded down the stretch with poor play calling and missed opportunities.  The QB shouldn't need to be the focus of everyone is performing well around him."
I disagree.  Somebody needs to lead!

IMO, you and everyone on this blog misses the point.  Sometimes somebody has to step up and make a play.  This team, and for all the Wolford years, now into Pelini's tenure there has had a dearth of playmakers.  Although our defense looks stout, we need some playmakers on O to beat the good teams.  At NDSU, Brock Jensen made plays, Wentz made plays, Stick makes plays, and in similar situations we seem to shrink into the background.  I think Wells has plenty of talent, but I think Hosick is here to make plays under pressure.  Wells has never done it, Davis has never done it.  Let's hope somebody steps up on offense to be a difference maker.
It's always easy to blame the coach, but perfectly executed almost every play can score a TD.   Sometimes you just don't have championship talent.

--- End quote ---

My point was that Wentz and the back-up did not force throws.  Wentz is being looked at because of his size, the fact that he has multiple NC's, and the fact that he performed well in the combine and he is a straight A student.  If he had not done well in the combine he would not be looked at.  I have seen him make poor throws, but I have also seen him make some impressive ones when it mattered.  My point is that in his game against YSU last year the back-up QB ran the ball vs making the throws.  I have seen Wentz do that against good defenses...............run vs throw. 

My understanding about Davis is that he could not read a defense.  That was his main issue not his athletic ability. 

I get that you want players to make plays, but our issues are on the OL.  They have been unable to stay on the field when it mattered because against good defenses we have not been able to run the ball.  Your problems go away when you can run the ball and stop the run.

YSUGO:
Penguinpower is right. The o line needs to improve.   Rule of thumb in all team sports is to be strong up the middle and you have a good chance of being successful.  How many running QB's has Alabama had and how many championships have they won.  They have horses on the line.  We need some of those horses. 

Wick250:
If everybody on the offensive line was healthy and playing in the proper position, then the performance at the spring game would be a cause for great concern.  But we should really suspend judgment until fall camp.  Some did not play in that game, some played just a little, some played out of position, and the redshirt freshmen displayed their inexperience while going up against a very sound defense.  We might have a big problem.  We might have no problem at all.  We will know in August.

YSUGO:
Heard Powell was suspended.

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: go guins on April 19, 2016, 03:16:44 PM ---penguinpower
"Keep in mind Wentz and the back-up rarely made incredible throws."
Because you say it's so, doesn't make it so.  You think the NFL is so interested in Wentz at #1 overall becuase he rarely made an incredable throw and just tucked and ran?  Don't write stupid stuff, it detracts from some of your better comments.

"However, we faded down the stretch with poor play calling and missed opportunities.  The QB shouldn't need to be the focus of everyone is performing well around him."
I disagree.  Somebody needs to lead!

IMO, you and everyone on this blog misses the point.  Sometimes somebody has to step up and make a play.  This team, and for all the Wolford years, now into Pelini's tenure there has had a dearth of playmakers.  Although our defense looks stout, we need some playmakers on O to beat the good teams.  At NDSU, Brock Jensen made plays, Wentz made plays, Stick makes plays, and in similar situations we seem to shrink into the background.  I think Wells has plenty of talent, but I think Hosick is here to make plays under pressure.  Wells has never done it, Davis has never done it.  Let's hope somebody steps up on offense to be a difference maker.
It's always easy to blame the coach, but perfectly executed almost every play can score a TD.   Sometimes you just don't have championship talent.

--- End quote ---

The game is won and lost on the line of scrimmage.  You make no sense to me.  You have a superficial view of the sport with some of your statements.  The QB's you mention would be nothing if they didn't have protection and a solid run game to lean on.  Your fixation is as bad as ESPN's sensationalism with one player on each team.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version