YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Spring Game

<< < (8/14) > >>

go guins:

--- Quote from: penguinpower on April 19, 2016, 06:51:54 AM ---NDSU was able to win regardless of who was at QB because they have the offensive line play, special teams, and defense to do it.  Tressel won with Tidwell, who was a game manager because all the other facets were there.  You can make safe throws to the TE's and throw screens when you can run the ball.  Lets not forget the formula to success.  We don't need a great QB, we just don't need stupid mistakes.  We also need a group that can prove to the fans they wont give up when the breaks are beating them.

--- End quote ---
Your analogy regarding YSU make great sense, and I agree with your point, but not so sure about including NDSU.  They just have had more than one GREAT 1AA QB after another.  Good grief, Wentz is probably #1 pick in the NFL and to me, Stick is the best QB in the MVFC again this year. 
The problem is as you correctly point out, NDSU had great OL, special teams and D, same as many JT teams at YSU.  Well we have great D, but special teams are highly questionable and OL is frankly terrible.
Maybe we find some punting and kick coverage in the fall, and you can get the OL from terrible to OK with health and a good summer and fall, but "good" is a long way away.

FOOTBALLFEVER:
For a two year starter at quarterback to be unseeded the coaching staff has to be absolutely 100% sure. Regardless of who the starter is all 3 will play. I wasn't at the spring game and I'm not familiar with the injuries surrounding the offensive line. Spencer, Colucci, Eisenhuth have either played or started since their freshman year. Throw Vitas in there as well and Fraser, if we can't get it done up front and stay healthy we have serious  problems. The last thing you want is quarterbacks running around and getting injured and they will. Spencer, Colucci and Eisenhuth's mobility are better suited for a pocket passer then a mobile QB and that's how Wolford recruited. The biggest challenge for receivers coming into this program is the quality of defenders they face compared to H.S. and the adjustment period. Having sure, soft hands and the ability to catch the ball in crowded situations and know that your going to take a hit is the skill that defines a wide receiver. I think the majority of our receivers possess a combination of good physical traits, body control, and agility. Moving their body in space seems to be a huge issue along with the drops. Some of the latest F.C.S. polls have the Bison, Illinois St, Northern Iowa 1,2,3 and S.D.S.U. 5th. All 3 will have very high powered offenses to go along with their strong defenses. Hopefully we will be ready for fall camp

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: go guins on April 19, 2016, 08:59:22 AM ---
--- Quote from: penguinpower on April 19, 2016, 06:51:54 AM ---NDSU was able to win regardless of who was at QB because they have the offensive line play, special teams, and defense to do it.  Tressel won with Tidwell, who was a game manager because all the other facets were there.  You can make safe throws to the TE's and throw screens when you can run the ball.  Lets not forget the formula to success.  We don't need a great QB, we just don't need stupid mistakes.  We also need a group that can prove to the fans they wont give up when the breaks are beating them.

--- End quote ---
Your analogy regarding YSU make great sense, and I agree with your point, but not so sure about including NDSU.  They just have had more than one GREAT 1AA QB after another.  Good grief, Wentz is probably #1 pick in the NFL and to me, Stick is the best QB in the MVFC again this year. 
The problem is as you correctly point out, NDSU had great OL, special teams and D, same as many JT teams at YSU.  Well we have great D, but special teams are highly questionable and OL is frankly terrible.
Maybe we find some punting and kick coverage in the fall, and you can get the OL from terrible to OK with health and a good summer and fall, but "good" is a long way away.

--- End quote ---

Keep in mind Wentz and the back-up rarely made incredible throws.  They would tuck it and run vs force the throw.  We took away the throws last year and forced them to run the QB.  However, we faded down the stretch with poor play calling and missed opportunities.  The QB shouldn't need to be the focus of everyone is performing well around him.

ysuguins4:
Hey YSUGO,

What's the status of Jalyn Powell?

go guins:
penguinpower
"Keep in mind Wentz and the back-up rarely made incredible throws."
Because you say it's so, doesn't make it so.  You think the NFL is so interested in Wentz at #1 overall becuase he rarely made an incredable throw and just tucked and ran?  Don't write stupid stuff, it detracts from some of your better comments.

"However, we faded down the stretch with poor play calling and missed opportunities.  The QB shouldn't need to be the focus of everyone is performing well around him."
I disagree.  Somebody needs to lead!

IMO, you and everyone on this blog misses the point.  Sometimes somebody has to step up and make a play.  This team, and for all the Wolford years, now into Pelini's tenure there has had a dearth of playmakers.  Although our defense looks stout, we need some playmakers on O to beat the good teams.  At NDSU, Brock Jensen made plays, Wentz made plays, Stick makes plays, and in similar situations we seem to shrink into the background.  I think Wells has plenty of talent, but I think Hosick is here to make plays under pressure.  Wells has never done it, Davis has never done it.  Let's hope somebody steps up on offense to be a difference maker.
It's always easy to blame the coach, but perfectly executed almost every play can score a TD.   Sometimes you just don't have championship talent. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version