YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Spring Game

<< < (4/14) > >>

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on April 15, 2016, 11:09:18 PM ---Before anybody draws conclusions from a spring game, go to the university site and listen to Pelini's postgame comments.  That was not ones v. twos.  Talent was split up, and the offensive lines were a mess because of injuries and inexperience.  Remember that we have seen in the past brilliant individual performances from players who faded into oblivion by the fall.  We have also seen lackluster spring games from teams that subsequently won national titles. 

The one thing that stood out for me was the tackling.  Few broken tackles and many nice one-on-one hits, including some on Webb and Ruiz.  I am much happier with a good defense and an offense that needs some work than I would be if that were reversed.

--- End quote ---

Wick you eloquently state exactly the same things that I think.   It is unusual.

IAA Fan:
I went specifically to see a few things:

1. QB's were a positive.
2. Pizanias was not kicking. I am still concerned for our punting.
3. Thomas got up after he took the hit, but then they walked him to the training room ...any word?
4. The guys from St. Ed's can play ...all 3 of them were good.
5. TE's saw limited action.
6. The addition of Chapman to Moss and Rivers will give us the best DE's in the conference ...if not the division. Chapman is really sound.
7. Sandidge & McCaster carry the ball well & hit speed quickly. Sandidge drives a little better may replace Moore, but hard too say. He has looked solid in 3 practices and the spring game.

Penguin Nation:
I listened to the WKBN feed which simultaneously played the Sean Hannity show, until the feed went out completely in Q4. 

I thought Hannon and Sammarone were honest in their QB assessments.  They discussed Wells' issues with pick 6's, lack of mobilty, and specifically discussed his lack of toughness, particularly after a play where he took an early dive to avoid contact.  Sammarone spoke of the negative impact that lack of toughness has on the team as a whole.

Davis, who had the best passing efficiency and rushing yards of any YSU QB last year, again outperformed Wells as Davis had two scoring drives (Wells zero, Mays one).

Wells had a better Freshman year, regressed in his Sophomore year, and there is no indication that he will produce better results in 2016. Honestly, the best thing for Wells would be a program suitable for a pro style QB with a solid o line and strong receiver unit.

At least Hosick has the excuse of learning a new system, and in my opinion, the QB competition should be for the back-up between Mays and Hosick.  Wells, if he doesn't transfer, would be the nuclear option if all others are injured.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/apr/16/defense-rules/

FOOTBALLFEVER:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on April 15, 2016, 10:13:12 PM ---Thanks everyone. really great crowd!!!

In short:

Hosick who? If the season started tomorrow, Davis would start and Mays would be his back-up. No O-line of any kind, so no running either. Wells made deliberate running attempts, and was obviously trying to look-off his receivers; but still has the best "cannon". Would not surprise me to seem him keep his job.

Good coverage plays today, but white corners never saw the ball. Speed seems up this year. I would say that coach M is spot-on with his analysis.

--- End quote ---
Ricky Davis is playing well enough that I would actually consider moving Trent Hosick to Running back. The question is can Ricky do this on a consistent basis? Wells is still the best passer we have, but from what I heard last night on the radio that wouldn't do much good. Coach M is spot on and has his work cut for him

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: FOOTBALLFEVER on April 16, 2016, 08:57:15 AM ---
--- Quote from: IAA Fan on April 15, 2016, 10:13:12 PM ---Thanks everyone. really great crowd!!!

In short:

Hosick who? If the season started tomorrow, Davis would start and Mays would be his back-up. No O-line of any kind, so no running either. Wells made deliberate running attempts, and was obviously trying to look-off his receivers; but still has the best "cannon". Would not surprise me to seem him keep his job.

Good coverage plays today, but white corners never saw the ball. Speed seems up this year. I would say that coach M is spot-on with his analysis.

--- End quote ---
Ricky Davis is playing well enough that I would actually consider moving Trent Hosick to Running back. The question is can Ricky do this on a consistent basis? Wells is still the best passer we have, but from what I heard last night on the radio that wouldn't do much good. Coach M is spot on and has his work cut for him

--- End quote ---

The reason he has his work cut out is his own fault.  They are the ones solely responsible for getting the kids to come and making it interesting enough for them to stay.  Right?  Why do we always have these issues when others do not?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version