YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Can We Finally Forget About the MAC?

(1/9) > >>

Wick250:
While searching for info about the final roster moves for the Indians, I found this on today's Plain Dealer website.  It is a slideshow that lists the most recent (2014-2015 academic year) athletic spending for Ohio's public universities.  As you can see, the gap between YSU and Ohio MAC schools is now enormous.  Here are the expense dollars listed in millions.

14.9  YSU
21.8  Bowling Green
26.3  Kent
27.1  Ohio University
29.9  Toledo
32.8  Miami
34.1  Akron

To round out the list, Cincinnati is at 51.7 while Ohio States stands at 154.

This data tells me that there are only two state schools that are responsible in spending on sports.  Ohio State whose professional sports machine generates much more revenue than its expenses.  And Youngstown State who understands that it is not big time and funds its sports accordingly.  The Ohio MAC schools are guilty of ripping off their students and Ohio taxpayers with their extravagant athletic spending, all in the hopeless quest of being considered "big time."  Don't you just love Akron, who spends 19 more million than we do as that school fires employees and drops academic programs.  All for a "big time" football program that played last year, according to the Beacon Journal, in front of an average of about 5,000 actual fans.

Penguin Nation:
Each MAC school gets $670K/year from ESPN, and our travel expenses would reduce, our corporate sponsors would pay more, loges would increase in value, and I would expect our gate revenue to improve.....but there's still a large gap.

Several MAC schools, most notably Akron, are on an unsustainable path, and will have to make some serious decisions regarding athletics in the next few years.  I even read an article suggesting the entire MAC drop to FCS in FB, and the idea was receiving a favorable response.

Bo mentioned joining the MAC recently, and I am puzzled as to why. 

The MVFC will change too, and I don't know how long it'll make sense to stay there.  I think the next few years may be interesting.

The YO Show:
While it would be fun for the fans, you are correct Wick. It does not appear to be feasible, from a financial standpoint, for the university at this time.

YSUGO:
We surely are not making money or building a fan base with us being the step child of the MVFC.  Nobody cares.  If you asked a 100 football players or even Ohio football fans  what conference YSU is in I bet less than 20 would know.  Let's even say if you asked them who  won the FCS  even less than that.  But a kid in Ohio would know a MAC school and know that they are a true D1 school.  They would know they are on ESPN.  We need to quit hating the MAC.  That is old news.  My hope is we can get in as a football only school.  As for them dropping down if it does only the bottom programs might do that.  Toledo, Bowling Green, Northern Il.  And the one Directional Michigan as well as Ohio u would probably move on and BG as well.  Who knows what will happen.  But I as a fan am tired of our conference and when they added the Dakota's just wasn't a plus for us. More travel we don't recruit their area makes no sense for us. None.  I am sick of hearing how great our conference is.  Means nothing to me and most of the fan base.  Sagarin Ratings don't draw fans. 

guinpen:
Nice post Nation.

Maybe we will never be in the Mac, but that does not mean that someday we may be in the league with some of the current schools or at least be able to play them 1 and 1. As money gets tighter for many schools, changes will be coming.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version