Author Topic: Donlon fired at WSU.  (Read 25188 times)

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Donlon fired at WSU.
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 03:47:50 PM »
My comment regarding 11K vs. 13K per win was meant as an attempt at sarcasm. If we paid Slocum 390K...and he went 30-0...he would only cost 13K per win! Some now mention ROI....I see nether a return or an investment.
I will not though, buy into the belief that there is not an option for improvement at the current pay scale.....or viable options to improve the pay scale.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 04:18:40 PM »
This tread about $ / win is about the silliest thing I recall reading for quite a while. (At least since the banning of Paladin!)  Who is their right mind measures that?  Do you think JT sits down and says "well Slocum only cost #11K/win and that is good value, let's keep him"?  Come on, do you guys think like that?  And don't even think about telling me that JT isn't the AD and so he doesn't make that decision! 
Question is, do you have enough to offer to get a real quality young stud coach to come to Youngstown OH?  Sometimes there are factors other than just wins.  Every coach and school in the country demands over 50% wins, and presents an interesting math problem, doesn't it?  I saw a blog the other day questioning Thad Matta's coaching ability for failing to make the big dance!  How ridiculous is that?

Not to change the subject, but the reason that you are seeing things about Matta is because Archie Miller at UD wants the job & he is the hottest coach in the US right now.

As to our playing, there are a couple of things that people need to consider ...but the bottom line is that our administration knows our record and our program's capabilities. You should also think that the conference does as well. Both of these things factor into why we have the records that we do. Everyone prioritizes & we simply have priorities elsewhere. I will say this ...I am confident that YSU men's basketball is never going to pay for itself, let alone other sports programs

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 04:47:21 PM »
I agree....as long as you have administrators with the mindset and beliefs you do....you are correct!
There's nothing like playing on a "team" with "teammates" who always say "can't".

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 05:07:11 PM »
Middle Tennessee winning today proves it could happen...not nearly as unattainable as you might think...Wisconsin Milwaukee fired Jeter...other programs go for it...football rules here but Middle has football too

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2016, 08:52:08 AM »
Middle Tennessee winning today proves it could happen...not nearly as unattainable as you might think...Wisconsin Milwaukee fired Jeter...other programs go for it...football rules here but Middle has football too

Yes they do have football, HBCU status and membership in Conference USA. So with all the complaining people do about affording the MAC, just what do you think the odds of us being able to afford CUSA? The more applicable thing to note is that UWM and WSU DO NOT have football.

Speaking of which, off to practice. GOGUINS!

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2016, 02:18:31 PM »
Not that it matters much but Middle Tennessee State is not HBCU. Tennesse State is but not Middle.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2016, 09:01:18 AM »
This tread about $ / win is about the silliest thing I recall reading for quite a while. (At least since the banning of Paladin!)  Who is their right mind measures that?  Do you think JT sits down and says "well Slocum only cost #11K/win and that is good value, let's keep him"?  Come on, do you guys think like that?  And don't even think about telling me that JT isn't the AD and so he doesn't make that decision! 
Question is, do you have enough to offer to get a real quality young stud coach to come to Youngstown OH?  Sometimes there are factors other than just wins.  Every coach and school in the country demands over 50% wins, and presents an interesting math problem, doesn't it?  I saw a blog the other day questioning Thad Matta's coaching ability for failing to make the big dance!  How ridiculous is that?

I think the university expects more from a coach making $2 M per year vs a coach making $ 125 K per year. Since MBB plays about the same number of games per year, the university will base their judgment (in part) on number of wins per year. In essence, it is the return on investment (ROI). What so silly about that?
So you disagree with me.  You DO think JT sits down after the season and says "well Slocum only cost #11K/win and that is good value, let's keep him"?  Seriously?  IMO that is silly! 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 09:28:28 AM »

I think the university expects more from a coach making $2 M per year vs a coach making $ 125 K per year. Since MBB plays about the same number of games per year, the university will base their judgment (in part) on number of wins per year. In essence, it is the return on investment (ROI). What so silly about that?
So you disagree with me.  You DO think JT sits down after the season and says "well Slocum only cost #11K/win and that is good value, let's keep him"?  Seriously?  IMO that is silly!

All I am saying is the return on investment. JT must be satisfied with his return on investment. The investment is the $ spent in the program. The return is the wins and revenue from the sport. If Slocum is paid $400 k without increasing in wins, he would be gone. It is the same as saying, using your words " well, Slocum is good value, let's keep him". How the numbers (investment, cost, wins, revenue and other factors) are calculated or interpreted, it is up to the administration to come up with their business decisions. Peace.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 10:33:02 AM »
I don't have an axe to grind on Slocum...All I know is one winning season in eleven years does not cut it...i guarantee you can pay a younger go-getter Slocum money and have fans a little excited for a new season...it is not the case now

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 11:17:28 AM »
not true jbags. A young go-getter would not have Slocum's ability to recruit and coach fundamental-to-collegiate ball that is required for the type of players that we can recruit to YSU. The young guy would have to live off of what Slocum handed him and then would crash in about 3-4 years ...if not sooner. Clearly we all want a winning team, but at what expense? Football? Women's sports? "Never gonna happen".

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2016, 11:32:16 AM »
I respectfully disagree because that younger coach played div 1 basketball and knows the fundamentals needed ...As far as recruiting goes why do you think Slocum would be better than anyone we could hire...11 years worth of recruiting produced 1 winning season

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 12:52:23 PM »
not true jbags. A young go-getter would not have Slocum's ability to recruit and coach fundamental-to-collegiate ball that is required for the type of players that we can recruit to YSU. The young guy would have to live off of what Slocum handed him and then would crash in about 3-4 years ...if not sooner. Clearly we all want a winning team, but at what expense? Football? Women's sports? "Never gonna happen".

Having a winning team should not come at an expense to any other team. It's called getting a competent coach who actually acts like he enjoys coaching and being at Youngstown State University instead of looking miserable 24/7. To your 1st point... Let's look at the women's side. Bolden, Barnes. Both very young guys, getting an opportunity and look where it took them and this program. Slocum's ability to coach fundamental-to-collegiate basketball is laughable. If that means continuing to pass the ball around the perimeter and shoot 3's and play ZERO defense, then yes you are correct. I'm sorry I-AA, but you need to take off the Slocum tinted glasses and realize that this man has had 2 winning seasons in 11 seasons. That SHOULD be unacceptable for any university but apparently is acceptable by this administration.... Sad.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 06:49:35 PM »
I'm going to tell myself that they are buffing his resume for work ELSEWHERE in the post-Slocum era....whenever that is.

http://www.ysusports.com/sports/mbkb/2015-16/releases/wernicki-named-associate-head-coach

key words:  ELSEWHERE: meaning somewhere other than YSU, not here, cuz you suck
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2016, 08:58:03 PM »
Fan, I admire your loyalty, I truly do, but be careful not to give up your credibility. JS is what he is a very mediocre D1 head coach. If he is that great of a recruiter and a teacher of fundamentals, then he must be very weak elsewhere.

I have to believe that there are several young bucks out there that would jump at the chance to be the hc at any D1 program even at our money. Energy, excitement and if they could turn things around they have a great looking resume. Bolden
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2016, 09:28:41 PM »
It is not loyalty, I give that in any case. It is the atmosphere and program that is in place at a certain cost. I certainly want and expect more; but we are not going to get it without a $600k to $750k investment in coaches. There is no way that we are going to pay the MBB coach more than the FB coach. It is a never-ending spiral. We recruited like a real team for FIRST time this year ...even though it came at the expense of staff and other players... which is why I support Slocum's extra year ...that is all. This is a good team and there is no reason to turn it over to some MM assistant because he is from Youngstown.

By the way, if we had a chance to hire Butler's Holtmann a couple of years ago I would have been jumping for joy. So that is the only fair comparison to Barnes with the women's program. We took the assistant from the top team in the conference.

I just want a successful FB team again & I know how much our b***s are strapped with title IX. I just do not want to see the money wasted.