YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Donlon fired at WSU.

<< < (5/9) > >>

gbs20:
Not that it matters much but Middle Tennessee State is not HBCU. Tennesse State is but not Middle.

go guins:

--- Quote from: Double ET on March 18, 2016, 02:53:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: go guins on March 18, 2016, 11:00:13 AM ---This tread about $ / win is about the silliest thing I recall reading for quite a while. (At least since the banning of Paladin!)  Who is their right mind measures that?  Do you think JT sits down and says "well Slocum only cost #11K/win and that is good value, let's keep him"?  Come on, do you guys think like that?  And don't even think about telling me that JT isn't the AD and so he doesn't make that decision! 
Question is, do you have enough to offer to get a real quality young stud coach to come to Youngstown OH?  Sometimes there are factors other than just wins.  Every coach and school in the country demands over 50% wins, and presents an interesting math problem, doesn't it?  I saw a blog the other day questioning Thad Matta's coaching ability for failing to make the big dance!  How ridiculous is that?

--- End quote ---

I think the university expects more from a coach making $2 M per year vs a coach making $ 125 K per year. Since MBB plays about the same number of games per year, the university will base their judgment (in part) on number of wins per year. In essence, it is the return on investment (ROI). What so silly about that?

--- End quote ---
So you disagree with me.  You DO think JT sits down after the season and says "well Slocum only cost #11K/win and that is good value, let's keep him"?  Seriously?  IMO that is silly! 

Double ET:

--- Quote from: go guins on March 21, 2016, 09:01:18 AM ---
--- Quote from: Double ET on March 18, 2016, 02:53:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: go guins on March 18, 2016, 11:00:13 AM ---This tread about $ / win is about the silliest thing I recall reading for quite a while. (At least since the banning of Paladin!)  Who is their right mind measures that?  Do you think JT sits down and says "well Slocum only cost #11K/win and that is good value, let's keep him"?  Come on, do you guys think like that?  And don't even think about telling me that JT isn't the AD and so he doesn't make that decision! 
Question is, do you have enough to offer to get a real quality young stud coach to come to Youngstown OH?  Sometimes there are factors other than just wins.  Every coach and school in the country demands over 50% wins, and presents an interesting math problem, doesn't it?  I saw a blog the other day questioning Thad Matta's coaching ability for failing to make the big dance!  How ridiculous is that?

--- End quote ---

I think the university expects more from a coach making $2 M per year vs a coach making $ 125 K per year. Since MBB plays about the same number of games per year, the university will base their judgment (in part) on number of wins per year. In essence, it is the return on investment (ROI). What so silly about that?

--- End quote ---
So you disagree with me.  You DO think JT sits down after the season and says "well Slocum only cost #11K/win and that is good value, let's keep him"?  Seriously?  IMO that is silly!

--- End quote ---

All I am saying is the return on investment. JT must be satisfied with his return on investment. The investment is the $ spent in the program. The return is the wins and revenue from the sport. If Slocum is paid $400 k without increasing in wins, he would be gone. It is the same as saying, using your words " well, Slocum is good value, let's keep him". How the numbers (investment, cost, wins, revenue and other factors) are calculated or interpreted, it is up to the administration to come up with their business decisions. Peace.

jbags:
I don't have an axe to grind on Slocum...All I know is one winning season in eleven years does not cut it...i guarantee you can pay a younger go-getter Slocum money and have fans a little excited for a new season...it is not the case now

IAA Fan:
not true jbags. A young go-getter would not have Slocum's ability to recruit and coach fundamental-to-collegiate ball that is required for the type of players that we can recruit to YSU. The young guy would have to live off of what Slocum handed him and then would crash in about 3-4 years ...if not sooner. Clearly we all want a winning team, but at what expense? Football? Women's sports? "Never gonna happen".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version