Author Topic: Spring Football Practice Updates  (Read 36185 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Football Practice Updates
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2016, 10:33:37 PM »
Tight End- Coach Ganz seems like a hands on coach and is learning a great deal from coach Bricillo. He's coming into a great situation working with a talented group of tight ends. This is one group that I'm really not concerned about and demonstrate great blocking and catching abilities with plenty of depth. I'm very surprised they didn't move Mark Shuler to the DE position. I feel we are very thin in that area with depth and he can definitely play at that position

That is Mark Schuler.  It is spelled Schuler.

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 11:06:17 PM »
Quarterbacks- My thoughts after taking in two practices. What really surprised me the most was the increased weight that Hunter put on. His footwork and overall quickness is better then a season ago and I honestly did not expect that. He has definitely brought his "A" game into spring ball and seems to be embracing this challenge. His throwing ability from the pocket is very impressive. Hosick has improved from day one untill now and that's a really good sign. He seemed to struggle the most throwing from the pocket. He had a difficult time finding throwing lanes and reading coverages from the pocket. He can definitely throw outside of the pocket on the run and they are expanding their playbook to fit that strength of run/pass option. To this point Ricky has been struggling and could be coming to grips of being the third string. I just hope that Bo and Shane are  on the same page, but I think they share different beliefs..For  now I have Wells (1) Hosick(2) Davis (3)..We will find out much more when the bullets start flying
Davis was the only QB to drive the team down and score Saturday during the down-distance portion of practice, both throwing and running to help his team.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 08:35:45 AM »
Mayor I wasn't there on Saturday, but that's really good news. Like Bo said position's are not won and lost in a day or two. The more competition the better. Ricky is a good athlete and excellent kid..and I wish him the best

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 09:27:08 AM »
Mayor I wasn't there on Saturday, but that's really good news. Like Bo said position's are not won and lost in a day or two. The more competition the better. Ricky is a good athlete and excellent kid..and I wish him the best
Thank you. I hope they all do well because that will mean YSU did well. I would like for Ricky to get his chance on the field though. If he does the job, fine. If he doesn't, fine. I think he should be given a chance so we don't have to hear he can do this or he can't do this from people's opinion. Let us see what he can or can't do. We have seen Hunter, good and bad (mostly good), but let's see some Ricky throwing and running. :) Love YSU either way. Go Penguins!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 10:09:47 AM »
We pretend 2015 never happened.  I actually see parallels between Slocum's contract renewal and Wells.

Regarding Wells, he has impressed in Spring practice before.  Have his proven issues: lack of mobility, lack of progressions leading to a single read, and a lack of grit leading to dropping knees and sliding to avoid contact...been resolved?  How could they be?....because it would require a different skill set and different attitude and toughness that he does not have.  Gaining weight doesn't fix that.

Want another 5-6 record?....then do exactly what we did in 2015.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2016, 10:33:07 AM »
I think at one point during Ricky's redshirt freshman season they were contemplating a possible move with Ricky and then he jumped ahead of Dante and into the back up role. It was obvious  they would've liked to have him on the field in some capacity, but the depth at the quarterback position was limited and Hunter was playing good. I always thought there could be some good packages for him as a combination H-Back/TE lined up in the slot, but that never transpired. That would've been a plus this past season considering the injury to Moore, but then again not enough depth at the Qb position

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2016, 11:24:05 AM »
We pretend 2015 never happened.  I actually see parallels between Slocum's contract renewal and Wells.

Regarding Wells, he has impressed in Spring practice before.  Have his proven issues: lack of mobility, lack of progressions leading to a single read, and a lack of grit leading to dropping knees and sliding to avoid contact...been resolved?  How could they be?....because it would require a different skill set and different attitude and toughness that he does not have.  Gaining weight doesn't fix that.

Want another 5-6 record?....then do exactly what we did in 2015.
Bo will play the Qb who gives the team the best chance to win. It could be just 1 or a rotation all over again. Coming off a 5-6 season this isn't about keeping anyone happy or keeping promises that might have been made.These coaches are coaching for their reputations and jobs every single day. I do however think they will keep this battle going as long as possible(Deep into the fall camp) to make each player better and improve upon that position and prevent any Qb from transferring out. As a coaching staff behind closed doors I look for them to have their answer by the end of spring
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 12:41:57 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 12:01:20 PM »
1AAFan do you have any thoughts on the Saturday practice? Im going out today to check out the "D" Hopefully they have it outside

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 07:31:51 PM »
I trust the coaching staff on the QB competiton. I laugh on how Wells is everybody whipping boy for last year.  Why not whip his starting left tackle for not being a leader and getting dismissed off the team.  Why not whip the constant dropped passes that his receiving Corp dropped time after time.  Why not rip the fumbles that our RB did last year his name escapes me .  Why not rip Patty V. Our commish for allowing instant replay if u had it but if you don't that's okay 2017 is okay for all to have no replay we win on the stupid slide Wells did.  I bet if he had to do it over he wouldn't have done that.  To question a kids toughness on here shows how classless you are. I think the kid was A captain on the team as a sophomore.  That's rare.  Did he screw up sure did .  He is a sophomore going to happen. Why not b**** about the bad special teams.  It's a team game and you win as a team lose as a team.  This team might only go 6-5 next year and if Hosick or Davis is the starter are you going to scream for their heads too.  Let's see how this goes and Go Penguins.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 07:48:30 PM »
Facts speak for themselves.  Minus 44 yards rushing for the season.  Throws pick 6's because he can't run and can't buy time with his legs.  One read for same reason.

Those are HIS issues.  No one else's.  Sure the O-line could've bought him more time, but Davis had a higher passing efficiency was our third leading rusher with the same O-line and same receivers.

A QB who sacrifices yards or a score for avoiding contact is not a D1 QB, and is not tough. 

Classless?  Lick my a$$ and GO PENGUINS!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 07:49:14 PM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2016, 07:56:47 PM »
I could care less which quarterback wins the competition, but I am convinced that we will have much better play from that critical position next season.  This coaching staff was embarrassed last season.  It will not happen again.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 08:19:11 PM »
Can we keep it classy guys? We are all penguin fans here.  :-\ :'(. Regardless of how you feel that Wells did last year, the coaches will properly vet out who will be the starter in spring and fall camp. And you know what, if Wells really improved and / or is still the best option in the coaches mind, you will have to see in game results in this year to complain about it. For all we know, if we go through the camp and Wells wins the position, why complain based solely on last year's record? Anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt if they truly may have improved or are the best option.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 08:49:34 PM »
I think he proved my point.   fb
A Penguin for life!!!

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2016, 09:02:41 PM »
1AAFan do you have any thoughts on the Saturday practice? Im going out today to check out the "D" Hopefully they have it outside

Sorry. I typed out quite a bit and it did not save. I will try to recreate, but I know I will miss a lot:

QB: I do not know what the Vindy's Wilaj is smoking, but right now Hosick is #4 out of 5 and Davis is the CLEAR starter. I cannot believe how much Davis' arm has improved. Monty had him at #1 in rotation the entire practice. Hosick is very consistent so far, but only two practices does not tell much. Again trust your coaches. The upside for Mays is terrific, I hope he sticks around.

TB: Sidney Sandidge is also looking extremely good and #1 in the rotation with Jody. He seems so much bigger than last year. Moore is still hurt. Limping and playing with a brace. Too bad. he put on weight, cannot tell if it is inactivity or working out. Pearson is gone; I suspect he will be on Marshall's roster. Sndige is bigger and faster. this year. I like his style. He hits harder and the steps back ahead outside. His TD was awesome. They hit him, he stepped back and hit the right side and went all the way. Was it just me or was Ruiz not playing either?

p/k: They had a punting contest to see who could hit the peak of WATTS with a punt. It was nice to see Sheely, Kennedy and Pizanias hit it. Pizanias was perfect in his place kicking but lacks in punting. Lots of power but no accuracy. He punt soccer style ...very odd looking. Of course, being indoors, they all look good.

I have a lot of concern in the non-skill depth. We do have Shane Kuhne at long snapper. He is the clear #1 in catches as a TE. Also at TE, Wood looking good as expected.

WR: Shackleford and Torbert look nice, but both are with the the #2's. Swanson was in at #1. Tall kid from Mooney is real nice looking and listed as a redshirt, odd he was not here last year. Scoot seems to have his routes down ...could be good. I have some video I will try to post.

#17 looks real nice at LB ...kind of short but plays real tall. #34 Nash is also going to be good. Did not see why Moss was in street clothes. Larkin will pick up where he left off.

Still too many questions at line, but I like the local flavor.

Lots of recruits at Saturday's practice and needless to say thee kids and parents all talked about WATTS and coach P. Nice atmosphere.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2016, 09:05:08 PM »
Can we keep it classy guys? We are all penguin fans here. 

I agree, I just cannot understand the need to cross the line
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne