Author Topic: Looks like Slocum will be back!  (Read 54270 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Looks like Slocum will be back!
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2016, 09:12:46 PM »
The Fire Department shows up for a house fire.  After arriving, they cook brats and smores with the flame, and after the house burned down and the fire burnt itself out, the homeowner asked, " Why didn't you fix it?"  A fireman replied, "it was that way when we got here!"

Is that analogy supposed to mean something resembling YSU? How do you "fix" a burning house? Do me a favor and create list of every sport since Strollo took over Then you tell me how many improved vs. deteriorated. Or do you just feel the need to replace Paladin as a pretend fan?

Buddy I could care less if we dropped MBB tomorrow I would be happy to see some better baseball. There is not a single human on planet earth that cares as much about Slocum as you two & you do not even know why you feel that way. It certainly is not because YSU ever had a winning DI MBB program before him. So do us all a favor and change the record.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:17:39 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2016, 09:18:51 PM »
The first step in fixing a problem is acknowledging that there is a problem.

Again, do not even see how that applies.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2016, 08:30:50 AM »

I double down on both of 1AA's latest comments here.  I simply don't get the vast majority of this tread.  Yes, he has a loosing record playing 1A MBB.  Tressel would have had a losing record playing 1A football as well. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2016, 08:47:37 AM »

You don't see it because you don't want to, and because you are also an enabler.

In the metaphor I used, the firemen ( the YSU AD) could have at least tried to "fix it."  Instead of cooking brats ( collecting income while unaccountable) they could have at least poured their beers on the flame ( replaced Slocum with...well anyone..).  The "MBB was always this way" is just an absurd excuse to accept failure.

What really amazes me is not just the defense of squandered opportunity for the University and community, but the acceptance of low expectations. Maybe that's why Ytown now officially has a criminal mayor. NDSU FB IMPROVED after Bohl left. We didn't have to drop in FB after JT left. If there is the will, than there's a way. Success doesn't have to be something you watch others have. YSU can be great at anything it wants to be

As long as a defeatist attitude reigns in the AD and the community, the loses will continue. Demand better!  This is your community, your school, and your team!
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2016, 08:57:43 AM »
"NDSU FB IMPROVED after Bohl left"
That's questionable.  Can't tell until new guy has all his own players.

"We didn't have to drop in FB after JT left."
That is offically a stupid comment! 

"Ytown now officially has a criminal mayor"
While unfortunately true, it has -0- bearing on YSU MBB

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2016, 09:40:12 AM »
The bottom line is that our coach hasn't been able to fix our problems and has had over a decade to do so...we have to be the only program in the country that would not only accept that but compound it by extending his contract :-\

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2016, 01:45:44 PM »
The bottom line is that our coach hasn't been able to fix our problems and has had over a decade to do so...we have to be the only program in the country that would not only accept that but compound it by extending his contract :-\
I do think the phrase "hasn't been able to fix our problems” is relevant particularly for the use of "our problems".  You are trying to sell from a damn empty basket if you ask me.  Youngstown is just a bad place to try and sell to a young recruit, and that IS "our problem", not just "his problem."   Youngstown needs to be cleaned up, and the politics cleaned up, if you ever want consistent progress made.   This isn’t Strollo’s problem or Slocum’s problem, but “our problem.”
Secondly, I love the thought that every coach with a losing record should be fired immediately.  Sports is a sum zero game.  Wins - losses = 0.  So at least half the coaches have losing records.  I wonder what we would say at Lordstown if everyone who was an average or below car assembler was fired every year for being a loser?  UNFAIR!! UNREALISTIC!! etc.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2016, 01:56:01 PM »
For years the debate has raged on this site with one faction accusing Strollo of being the incarnation of evil while a second faction sees him as a man that can do no wrong.  I prefer realism and facts.

Undeniably, Strollo has used his financial background well and has kept his department afloat through bad economic times.  I would strongly prefer that he pump more money into coaches' salaries and less into administration, but handling the budget is his strength.

His record in hiring or keeping coaches does not match his financial acumen.  He deserves all the credit in the world for convincing Brian Gorby to become a "lifer."  He did follow up two disastrous women's basketball hires with two strong ones.  But he retained Heacock too long, and the Wolford hire was disappointing, although most of us supported that decision initially.  He got real lucky that Tressel was the president when Pelini became available.

Men's basketball continues to haunt Strollo.  He did not create that problem, but his reluctance to part ways with Slocum has damaged community support and morale.  His tendency is to court the big money people and that is fine.  After all, that is where the money is.  But I sometimes wonder if he really understands just how disappointed and angry common folks are over the state of our second most important (at least from a revenue perspective) sport.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2016, 02:21:15 PM »
For years the debate has raged on this site with one faction accusing Strollo of being the incarnation of evil while a second faction sees him as a man that can do no wrong.  I prefer realism and facts.

Undeniably, Strollo has used his financial background well and has kept his department afloat through bad economic times.  I would strongly prefer that he pump more money into coaches' salaries and less into administration, but handling the budget is his strength.

His record in hiring or keeping coaches does not match his financial acumen.  He deserves all the credit in the world for convincing Brian Gorby to become a "lifer."  He did follow up two disastrous women's basketball hires with two strong ones.  But he retained Heacock too long, and the Wolford hire was disappointing, although most of us supported that decision initially.  He got real lucky that Tressel was the president when Pelini became available.

Men's basketball continues to haunt Strollo.  He did not create that problem, but his reluctance to part ways with Slocum has damaged community support and morale.  His tendency is to court the big money people and that is fine.  After all, that is where the money is.  But I sometimes wonder if he really understands just how disappointed and angry common folks are over the state of our second most important (at least from a revenue perspective) sport.

The lost revenue from the top two revenue generating sports (FB, MBB) doesn't allow me to even claim he's a financial asset.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2016, 02:38:46 PM »
I'll bet you a couple bucks that isn't accurate. 
You are saying there isn’t another coach with a losing MBB record with a contract extension?  Not one in the whole country?  Bet there are more than you think.  This thought about ANYBODY could do much better and I read that again on the tread within the last couple days, simply isn’t true.  You hate mongers simply aren’t realistic.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2016, 02:47:36 PM »
You are saying there isn’t another coach with a losing MBB record with a contract extension?  Not one in the whole country?  Bet there are more than you think.  This thought about ANYBODY could do much better and I read that again on the tread within the last couple days, simply isn’t true.  You hate mongers simply aren’t realistic.

I'll repost Wick's comments here:

If you are interested in facts rather than opinion, continue to read this post.  I received some interesting information from a former poster who is the best researcher that this board had ever seen.  He crunched the data about those coaches who had never been to the NCAA tournament and also data about DI coaches with longer tenures at their schools than Slocum.  As of last week, there were just three other coaches who had been around longer than Slocum, still employed, and who had never made the big tournament.  Today that number has diminished to one, as Yale finally got in the big show and Drexel fired their coach.  The guy at William and Mary has won just 40% of his games, but he has just posted three straight winning seasons in his conference.  More importantly, he had led his team to the finals of his conference tournament FOUR times.  So Slocum stands alone, indicted by the evidence for a terrible record and the absence of any team accomplishments.  The worst long-tenured coach in Division I basketball.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2016, 03:07:47 PM »
2 winning seasons (barely) in 11 years surely isn't dumping a coach after a losing season ...find me a school that has had 9 losing seasons in 11 years with the same head coach...add to that fact that players leave the program each and every season ...I think some of you people are just numb to all the losing  seasons...yup its hard to recruit here but but that is getting old...old as all the losing seasons ...get a young go getter in here and see if at least 1 entire recruiting class will stay for 4 years

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2016, 03:51:43 PM »

You don't see it because you don't want to, and because you are also an enabler.

In the metaphor I used, the firemen ( the YSU AD) could have at least tried to "fix it."  Instead of cooking brats ( collecting income while unaccountable) they could have at least poured their beers on the flame ( replaced Slocum with...well anyone..).  The "MBB was always this way" is just an absurd excuse to accept failure.

What really amazes me is not just the defense of squandered opportunity for the University and community, but the acceptance of low expectations. Maybe that's why Ytown now officially has a criminal mayor. NDSU FB IMPROVED after Bohl left. We didn't have to drop in FB after JT left. If there is the will, than there's a way. Success doesn't have to be something you watch others have. YSU can be great at anything it wants to be

As long as a defeatist attitude reigns in the AD and the community, the loses will continue. Demand better!  This is your community, your school, and your team!

No I don't see how it applies. Just what am I not seeing? What ...you are the only person that knows our historical MBB record? Well you had better tell Ron Strollo, he may want to know what it is. BTW, NDSU is really not as good now, but then again, they really never lost their coach. They just hired someone that is okay with not placing his mark on the program.

You should also admit to the fact that you only care about FB and MBB and it is under those sports that you judge how great our sports are. Pretty biassed don't you think?

This thread has become just idiotic. I may have to shut it down, but it has somewhat kept you from polluting legitimate threads with your incessant anti-Stroll and anti-Slocum crap.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 03:54:36 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2016, 12:02:01 AM »
I believe P Nation and J Bags should be banned.  Very tired of hearing the same same. I have an idea how about the two of you not attend any more games at YSU.  As matter of fact I never see either of you two at any other non-revenue sporting events.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2016, 09:04:02 AM »

I'll repost Wick's comments here:

If you are interested in facts rather than opinion, continue to read this post.  I received some interesting information from a former poster who is the best researcher that this board had ever seen.  He crunched the data about those coaches who had never been to the NCAA tournament and also data about DI coaches with longer tenures at their schools than Slocum.  As of last week, there were just three other coaches who had been around longer than Slocum, still employed, and who had never made the big tournament.  Today that number has diminished to one, as Yale finally got in the big show and Drexel fired their coach.  The guy at William and Mary has won just 40% of his games, but he has just posted three straight winning seasons in his conference.  More importantly, he had led his team to the finals of his conference tournament FOUR times.  So Slocum stands alone, indicted by the evidence for a terrible record and the absence of any team accomplishments.  The worst long-tenured coach in Division I basketball.

I'm OK with Wick's post, but that isn't what you said, and it isn't what I challenged.  Wick’s post included long tenure and you didn’t.  What I said, I stand behind.  Bet you there are more than one losing coach with an extended contract.