Author Topic: Looks like Slocum will be back!  (Read 53574 times)

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Looks like Slocum will be back!
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2016, 11:16:05 AM »
1AA...you said the kid "went 5 hours away...wanted the college experience". YSU doesn't offer the college experience? Your response is confusing.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2016, 03:16:22 PM »
1AA...you said the kid "went 5 hours away...wanted the college experience". YSU doesn't offer the college experience? Your response is confusing.

To someone local it most certainly does not. My daughter grew up in Trumbull county and attended JFK High school. She was not into sports at all, but she was a bright student. Now she could have attended YSU or Kent. Where did she end up? Ohio State. Away from home & a true college experience. Athletes are no different. Good local athletes see YSU as "settling" and is not their fault.

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2016, 03:31:41 PM »
1AA...so local talent won't usually want to "settle" for YSU, opting for the "college experience"....yet we suffer from a local base to recruit from? Confused still.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2016, 09:34:02 AM »
I guess that you are going to have to explain your question to me Popsicle. I simply said we are not exactly in a hot-bed of basketball talent. For the few that are DI talent, YSU is too close to mommy and daddy; so if they have a chance to go elsewhere like Dayton) they will take it. I disliked going to YSU for the same reason, but I was no athlete. Seems pretty straight-forward.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2016, 09:54:04 AM »

Wright State recruited Mark Hughes from Ursuline, and as a Freshman this year was in WSU's top 7 in minutes and scoring.  Why did WSU out-recruit Slocum....here in Youngstown?

You know the answer to that question in football recruiting, so why do you not think it applies to other sports and local talent? Why do most MAC schools out recruit us? It really has much less (that you might think) to do with a different level of ball either. WSU is 5-hours from Youngstown. The kid went away to school. Players want the college experience & that is difficult to overcome outside of a "special project" ...which we have had plenty of in MBB and football.

Now he drives to WSU and hears these words "Wright State is a basketball school, YSU is a football school". Game, set, match.

I picked Hughes as an example because he selected a school in the same conference as YSU, not a higher RPI conference like the MAC. 

If YSU is a football school, then it's not evident during the Strollo era.  I would consider YSU an all-sports school.  In the last 6 years I'd say WBB has been our premier sport.  Also, I would argue a school lacking FB doesn't have a complete "college experience."

Going back to the original point, what tools does Slocum not have?  There is local talent (Hughes is an example), he has (had) the 5th highest recruiting budget, and he has decent facilities.

1AA--

I'm not trying to be obnoxious.  I really want to know what tools that you feel Slocum does not have to succeed.  Just a short answer with something tangible, rather than a wordy abstract concept would be appreciated.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2016, 08:32:58 AM »
Nation ...Up until the last couple of years:

1. Solid money invested in the program (coaches salaries & recruiting)
2. Local HS basketball strength.
3. Support from our conference.
4. A history of success in DI basketball.
5. A powerful money-generating football program which generates greater interest in YSU sports in a more broad aspect.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2016, 10:30:07 AM »

5. A powerful money-generating football program which generates greater interest in YSU sports in a more broad aspect.

Thanks.  Agree with #s 1,4, and 5....all of which are deficiencies due to AD incompetence.

What did you mean by #3?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2016, 11:30:11 AM »

Thanks.  Agree with #s 1,4, and 5....all of which are deficiencies due to AD incompetence.

What did you mean by #3?

None of these have anything to do with your current AD Ron Strollo ...aside from a portion of #5. Why are you not blaming Tressel and Malmisar ...these are your AD's that sacked MBB.  HAd they not completely ignored the pending Title-IX requirements, it would have not been dropped on the shoulders (those that carry the purse-strings) of Strollo.

As far as #3 ...I have stayed away from this topic for many years and will continue to do so. Just remember this, last year was the first year that we have not had these HL demands ...it took the loss of the league's top MBB teams to get it.

You have asked so often why our MBB performance is the way that it is. I have said more than once that we are not in this conference for our prowess in MBB. Do you not think that the conference was well-aware of our DI MBB history when they brought us in? Likewise do you not think that they were aware of our WBB DI history? Again conference fans want all of their conference members to have RPI's above 50. Conference teams do not want this; they have an absolute need for bottom-feeders. Likewise, specific-school fans do not like to have a losing team, but sometimes school administrators do.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 11:32:00 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2016, 03:24:42 PM »
Bottom line no excuse for keeping a coach with such a losing record and loses his players.   no excuse

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2016, 09:03:57 AM »
Bottom line no excuse for keeping a coach with such a losing record and loses his players.   no excuse

This article appears in today's Warren Tribune:

AD Strollo discusses YSU basketball programs
April 17, 2016
By JOHN VARGO - Tribune Chronicle , Tribune Chronicle
Save | Post a comment |           
YOUNGSTOWN - It's been almost a week since Youngstown State women's basketball coach John Barnes decided to turn down Kent State's offer to coach the Golden Flashes.

Barnes is 57-40 in three years and has 21 victories in the last two, including berths in the WNIT and making the semifinals in the Women's Basketball Invitational.

The YSU women have had 20 or more wins three of the last four years. Freshmen and sophomores were the bulk of last year's team. YSU signed four players leading into next season and has two quality preferred walk-ons as well.

"We're happy where the program is," YSU Director of Athletics Ron Strollo said. "I feel like it has a little ways to go, too. There's that little unfinished business. We haven't reached where we want to be. With this young nucleus and the recruits coming in, we'll take another step toward where we want to be."

Meanwhile, the YSU men's team brings coach Jerry Slocum back for his 12th season, despite having his second-straight 20-loss season.

There were many key injuries during the 2015-16 season, and sophomore and second-team all-Horizon League player Cameron Morse, along with 6-7 small forward Matt Donlan were the only two consistent cogs for the Penguins.

There has been plenty of grumbling from YSU fans that Slocum should be released, but Strollo confirmed the coach is coming back next season, though another 20-loss season is not going to do for this Penguins team.

"We need to make a lot of progress," Strollo said. "Where we finished isn't where any of us wants us to be, including coach Slocum. With all the hands that were dealt last year, it was hard to expect much more. We're looking, obviously, to make dramatic improvement from this past year - wins and losses and placement in the league."

YSU finished seventh in the league and made yet another first-round Horizon League Tournament exit. This one to Detroit.

Where does Strollo want to see YSU finish next season?

"I don't think it's ever good to put numbers to things," he said. "You get a sense of how the season is going. You always have to feel good about the future.

"All those evaluations happen at the end of the year."

Regarding the women's program and Barnes, Strollo said he realizes that as long as the current success continues, offers like the one from Kent State and most likely from much better programs, will continue.

When that time comes, Strollo is prepared to look for the right candidate to continue the Penguins' success.

"When you're in this business, that's part of the world you live in," he said. "Who's on what staff? Who might be potential candidates, and all those things. Sometimes those people you're thinking about end up being the candidate that replaces your coach - a good example of that is coach Barnes. Sometimes the one you end up picking isn't the one on your list - a good example of that is coach (Bob) Boldon.

"I've been kind of a part of both. You're always educating yourself on who those top candidates are."

Slocum's record of losing transfers in the offseason continued this year when 6-foot-5 freshman small forward Jordan Andrews left after one season. He averaged around eight points a game and had plenty of upside.

The Penguins signed Braun Hartfield, a 6-4 guard from Garfield Heights, the team which beat Warren G. Harding in a Division I regional semifinal.

There are a couple of scholarships remaining.

The Penguins, according to verbalcommits.com, have made a couple of offers to possible prospects.

One is to Zach Hollywood, a 6-foot-8, 185-pound post from Bradley-Bourbonnais High School (Ill.). He signed a letter of intent to James Madison in mid-November, but recently broke that commitment. YSU, Ball State, Fairfield, Evansville and American have made Hollywood offers. However, what might set the Penguins apart is that Hollywood's father, Scott, played at YSU from 1987-88.

Another big man the Penguins have made an offer to is Shandon "Biggie" Goldman, a 6-9, 210-pound post who also has interest from Florida International, Utah State, Boston College and Sam Houston State.

Goldman went to Tennessee Prep and is from Evansville, Ark.

YSU has another offer to Travis Yenor, a 6-8, 210-pound power forward from Meridian, Idaho. He attended the Ambrose School. He has interest in Air Force, Denver, Columbia and Colgate, but none have given Yenor an offer.

YSU is in desperate need of big man since it loses 6-10 senior Bobby Hain, whose final season was cut short by a foot injury.

After Hain's injury in mid-December, YSU did have wins against postseason teams Oakland (Vegas 16) and Green Bay (NCAA), but couldn't overcome a lineup which included few players who had played the previous season.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2016, 11:56:15 AM »
 "it was hard to expect much more."

Exhibit A of what a loser attitude looks like.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2016, 04:25:05 PM »
So you say there is a loser attitude in our athletic Dept.  Who are the losers?  Really.  Make sure you post their names you post your real name as well.  I will bring you to an event and you can say it to their face.  Strollo has worked his ass off since he played football here and he won a championship ring.  He was brought here by a championship caliber coach and has done a very good job on a shoestring budget and for the most part has spent our money wisely.  Basketball has stunk here at the D1 level way before Strollo. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2016, 04:52:06 PM »
So you say there is a loser attitude in our athletic Dept.  Who are the losers?  Really.  Make sure you post their names you post your real name as well.  I will bring you to an event and you can say it to their face.  Strollo has worked his a$$ off since he played football here and he won a championship ring.  He was brought here by a championship caliber coach and has done a very good job on a shoestring budget and for the most part has spent our money wisely.  Basketball has stunk here at the D1 level way before Strollo.

The Fire Department shows up for a house fire.  After arriving, they cook brats and smores with the flame, and after the house burned down and the fire burnt itself out, the homeowner asked, " Why didn't you fix it?"  A fireman replied, "it was that way when we got here!"

It is a loser's mentality to accept failure, and continue to accept failure because MBB (or anything for that matter) previously "stunk."

I've never criticized moRon as a FB player, but his handling of WBB pre-Bolden, FB, and MBB is horrendous.  He is an incompetent buffoon.

You are an enabler of failure, and want others to also enable failure.  Sorry....just can't join you in that.

The quote I noted is that of a loser, and YSU deserves WAY better.  I'll keep criticizing those that are harming YSU and it's athletic program until this board eventually bans me. 

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2016, 04:59:50 PM »
As an alum and a contributor to the Penguin Club it hurts me to see that people feel that way.  If I was a heavy hitter I would pay to get what we need that's how much I love my school and it has been good to me as well.  I pray things will change. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2016, 05:22:27 PM »
The first step in fixing a problem is acknowledging that there is a problem.