YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Looks like Slocum will be back!

<< < (17/19) > >>

jbags:
The bottom line is that our coach hasn't been able to fix our problems and has had over a decade to do so...we have to be the only program in the country that would not only accept that but compound it by extending his contract :-\

go guins:

--- Quote from: jbags on April 18, 2016, 09:40:12 AM ---The bottom line is that our coach hasn't been able to fix our problems and has had over a decade to do so...we have to be the only program in the country that would not only accept that but compound it by extending his contract :-\

--- End quote ---
I do think the phrase "hasn't been able to fix our problems” is relevant particularly for the use of "our problems".  You are trying to sell from a damn empty basket if you ask me.  Youngstown is just a bad place to try and sell to a young recruit, and that IS "our problem", not just "his problem."   Youngstown needs to be cleaned up, and the politics cleaned up, if you ever want consistent progress made.   This isn’t Strollo’s problem or Slocum’s problem, but “our problem.”
Secondly, I love the thought that every coach with a losing record should be fired immediately.  Sports is a sum zero game.  Wins - losses = 0.  So at least half the coaches have losing records.  I wonder what we would say at Lordstown if everyone who was an average or below car assembler was fired every year for being a loser?  UNFAIR!! UNREALISTIC!! etc.

Wick250:
For years the debate has raged on this site with one faction accusing Strollo of being the incarnation of evil while a second faction sees him as a man that can do no wrong.  I prefer realism and facts.

Undeniably, Strollo has used his financial background well and has kept his department afloat through bad economic times.  I would strongly prefer that he pump more money into coaches' salaries and less into administration, but handling the budget is his strength.

His record in hiring or keeping coaches does not match his financial acumen.  He deserves all the credit in the world for convincing Brian Gorby to become a "lifer."  He did follow up two disastrous women's basketball hires with two strong ones.  But he retained Heacock too long, and the Wolford hire was disappointing, although most of us supported that decision initially.  He got real lucky that Tressel was the president when Pelini became available.

Men's basketball continues to haunt Strollo.  He did not create that problem, but his reluctance to part ways with Slocum has damaged community support and morale.  His tendency is to court the big money people and that is fine.  After all, that is where the money is.  But I sometimes wonder if he really understands just how disappointed and angry common folks are over the state of our second most important (at least from a revenue perspective) sport.

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on April 18, 2016, 01:56:01 PM ---For years the debate has raged on this site with one faction accusing Strollo of being the incarnation of evil while a second faction sees him as a man that can do no wrong.  I prefer realism and facts.

Undeniably, Strollo has used his financial background well and has kept his department afloat through bad economic times.  I would strongly prefer that he pump more money into coaches' salaries and less into administration, but handling the budget is his strength.

His record in hiring or keeping coaches does not match his financial acumen.  He deserves all the credit in the world for convincing Brian Gorby to become a "lifer."  He did follow up two disastrous women's basketball hires with two strong ones.  But he retained Heacock too long, and the Wolford hire was disappointing, although most of us supported that decision initially.  He got real lucky that Tressel was the president when Pelini became available.

Men's basketball continues to haunt Strollo.  He did not create that problem, but his reluctance to part ways with Slocum has damaged community support and morale.  His tendency is to court the big money people and that is fine.  After all, that is where the money is.  But I sometimes wonder if he really understands just how disappointed and angry common folks are over the state of our second most important (at least from a revenue perspective) sport.

--- End quote ---

The lost revenue from the top two revenue generating sports (FB, MBB) doesn't allow me to even claim he's a financial asset.

go guins:

--- Quote from: jbags on April 18, 2016, 09:40:12 AM ---The bottom line is that our coach hasn't been able to fix our problems and has had over a decade to do so...we have to be the only program in the country that would not only accept that but compound it by extending his contract :-\

--- End quote ---
I'll bet you a couple bucks that isn't accurate. 
You are saying there isn’t another coach with a losing MBB record with a contract extension?  Not one in the whole country?  Bet there are more than you think.  This thought about ANYBODY could do much better and I read that again on the tread within the last couple days, simply isn’t true.  You hate mongers simply aren’t realistic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version