YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Looks like Slocum will be back!

<< < (13/19) > >>

popsicle:
1AA...you said the kid "went 5 hours away...wanted the college experience". YSU doesn't offer the college experience? Your response is confusing.

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: popsicle on April 08, 2016, 11:16:05 AM ---1AA...you said the kid "went 5 hours away...wanted the college experience". YSU doesn't offer the college experience? Your response is confusing.

--- End quote ---

To someone local it most certainly does not. My daughter grew up in Trumbull county and attended JFK High school. She was not into sports at all, but she was a bright student. Now she could have attended YSU or Kent. Where did she end up? Ohio State. Away from home & a true college experience. Athletes are no different. Good local athletes see YSU as "settling" and is not their fault.

popsicle:
1AA...so local talent won't usually want to "settle" for YSU, opting for the "college experience"....yet we suffer from a local base to recruit from? Confused still.

IAA Fan:
I guess that you are going to have to explain your question to me Popsicle. I simply said we are not exactly in a hot-bed of basketball talent. For the few that are DI talent, YSU is too close to mommy and daddy; so if they have a chance to go elsewhere like Dayton) they will take it. I disliked going to YSU for the same reason, but I was no athlete. Seems pretty straight-forward.

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on April 07, 2016, 08:02:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: IAA Fan on April 07, 2016, 04:13:14 PM ---
--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on April 07, 2016, 02:17:03 PM ---
Wright State recruited Mark Hughes from Ursuline, and as a Freshman this year was in WSU's top 7 in minutes and scoring.  Why did WSU out-recruit Slocum....here in Youngstown?

--- End quote ---

You know the answer to that question in football recruiting, so why do you not think it applies to other sports and local talent? Why do most MAC schools out recruit us? It really has much less (that you might think) to do with a different level of ball either. WSU is 5-hours from Youngstown. The kid went away to school. Players want the college experience & that is difficult to overcome outside of a "special project" ...which we have had plenty of in MBB and football.

Now he drives to WSU and hears these words "Wright State is a basketball school, YSU is a football school". Game, set, match.

--- End quote ---

I picked Hughes as an example because he selected a school in the same conference as YSU, not a higher RPI conference like the MAC. 

If YSU is a football school, then it's not evident during the Strollo era.  I would consider YSU an all-sports school.  In the last 6 years I'd say WBB has been our premier sport.  Also, I would argue a school lacking FB doesn't have a complete "college experience."

Going back to the original point, what tools does Slocum not have?  There is local talent (Hughes is an example), he has (had) the 5th highest recruiting budget, and he has decent facilities.

--- End quote ---

1AA--

I'm not trying to be obnoxious.  I really want to know what tools that you feel Slocum does not have to succeed.  Just a short answer with something tangible, rather than a wordy abstract concept would be appreciated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version