YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Looks like Slocum will be back!

<< < (11/19) > >>

ytownchief22:
Basketball is much easier to have success in. Look at all these schools who make noise and get into the NCAA tourney and have great runs. Look at Akron. Perennial power in the MAC. You think any of those kids wanna live in Akron? No. It's all about coaching and this program has the wrong one.

ytowngirl:
Slocum by far has gotta be the worst DI basketball coach.  I just don't think many other schools would put up with his factory of losing.

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: ytowngirl on April 07, 2016, 08:22:51 AM ---Slocum by far has gotta be the worst DI basketball coach.  I just don't think many other schools would put up with his factory of losing.

--- End quote ---

You are right, but they wold start by providing him with what he needs to be successful. Then provide expectations. It has only been a couple of years since the conference "bully" left. MY biggest fear is that Valpo becomes the same bully in the HL, that they were in the MidCon. This is a new conference and changes are in the works, let's just wait and see. If something happens with Slocum before this ...then so be it.

Nick:

I am not necessarily in favor if a lower-division in DI men's basketball, but all the arguments that you make to Go Guins also apply to I-AA football. SO have this split in all DI sports may not be so far-fetched of a concept.

Also, Chief since when is Akron a "perennial power" in the MAC? Kent is the only perennial power in the MAC. Maybe OU years and years ago. Akron is like UWM, they floated to the top of the HL cup under Pearl ...now they are all but non-existent. Same thing will happen to Akron. Then look at a couple of past MCC/HL powers that defected to the MVC.

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on April 07, 2016, 12:40:18 PM ---You are right, but they wold start by providing him with what he needs to be successful.

--- End quote ---

1AA--

He has the tools.  I posted on another thread that we were #5/10 in recruiting budget in the HL.  Why then, doesn't he recruit better than half of the HL? Because he's not a good recruiter.

Salary shouldn't matter.  One should perform at your best and EARN a raise.  If he performed well, then like Bolden, Tressel, and maybe now Barnes...he'll leave for much better pay.  So we can assume that Slocum is performing at his maximum.

I read that YSU WBB has for the fourth straight year has a higher attendance than either Can't or Akron WBB.  Success creates success.  Because of Bolden's and Barnes performance, everyone wins.  YSU gets more gate revenue, the YSU HCs get MAC HC offers and more $$, and the fans get to savor victory.

So we can say salary isn't a factor, nor is recruiting budget.  The facilities are adequate IMO.  What tools does Slocum not have?

IAA Fan:
I think you severely underestimate the talent that we have recruited the past two years & Slocum did recruit those. I also would like to see our recruiting rank over each the past 10-years, as I suspect it only recently began to rise. I also suspect that we have to suffer significantly in other key financial areas to have the mid-pack recruiting budget.

Clearly much of this is because we lack a local recruiting base that most other HL schools have. We are not in Chicago, Detroit, nor even the tri-state area that WSU can recruit from. It might be time to consider a heavy local focus, as Tressel once did in football (late 80's to mid-90's). However, that really hampered his replacements. Do you think we have the local talent for this?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version