YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL OFFICIALLY DEAD

(1/12) > >>

YSUFANSINCE1990:
 WOW!   We have lost our last three men's basketball games, all at home, and not one post here!  What is worse that someone talking bad about you?   When no one is talking about you at all.

This is a site of loyal YSU fans, probably the most loyal in our valley, and yet no BB talk.   

I am one of those who still can't believe Slocum is employed as our coach.  His record is awful, he has not engaged the community, and he looks miserable.   How can Strollo and Tressel continue to let this go on and on?

Although Tressel is one of the greatest coaches of all time, and looks to be on his way to being a great President.  He had very mixed results in hiring coaches as athletic director.  He hired John Robic, probably because Larry Brown and John Calipari gave the basketball program money to do so.

YSU basketball fans deserve more.  We haven't had a conference competitive team since Dan Peters was coaching us in the Mid Con.

Very sad.

Penguin Nation:
We lost our last four games.......may be five as UIC is an improved team late in the season.

This is JS's last few games. My hope is President Tressel takes an active role in hiring his replacement, much like he did with FB and Bo Pelini....otherwise we'll get a Strollo hire....like Slocum, Hill, Martin......I hope Tressel appreciates that the second highest revenue generating sport with an annual operating budget of $1.3M is worthy of his concern and attention.

Double ET:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on February 15, 2016, 08:42:36 AM ---We lost our last four games.......may be five as UIC is an improved team late in the season.

This is JS's last few games. My hope is President Tressel takes an active role in hiring his replacement, much like he did with FB and Bo Pelini....otherwise we'll get a Strollo hire....like Slocum, Hill, Martin......I hope Tressel appreciates that the second highest revenue generating sport with an annual operating budget of $1.3M is worthy of his concern and attention.

--- End quote ---
Listening to his radio and TV interviews. JS appeared to be absolutely miserable. I would not be surprised that he had already been told about his future at YSU.

Wick250:
When Slocum retires, I really don't look for Tressel to be actively involved in selecting his replacement, as he surely was in the hiring of Pelini.  He has no expertise in basketball, and he got burned by his Robic hire while AD. (Although remember that Robic was brought in to coach a low major Mid-Continent squad that was suddenly thrust into the mid-major Horizon League.)

What I am worried about is the lack of interest among worthwhile candidates when Slocum is out of the picture.  As Since1990 noted, the program is dead in the community, there are no funds to infuse into the operation, and any prospective coach will realize that hoops is secondary in the athletic department.  Who would come here? 

Someone suggested McFadden, the assistant at Akron and a valley native.  Not knowing any details about this guy, he would seem on the surface to be a logical choice.  He certainly knows the facts listed in the above paragraph.  If he still would be willing to try, I say give him the chance.

IAA Fan:
Again I say why hire McFadden when Wernicki is as-qualified ...if not more so. Then we do not lose so many players. I still think Slocum get's his final year at a minimum, but is not holding up his part of the bargain for anything further. This is a really good team and Slocum has always been able to bring in a couple of good players. I think there is going to be a lot of chemistry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version