Author Topic: Beeghly Center  (Read 14158 times)

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
Beeghly Center
« on: January 13, 2016, 06:46:53 PM »
Just a thought....have you guys ever wondered why we don't bring back the floor seats underneath the hoop and repaint the floor like it was 7-10 years ago. I've seen pictures of a packed beeghly center with a student section and butts in the seats...and this is when the team was REALLY bad. I'm currently a senior at YSU and I'm just curious as to why our games don't look like that now. I think I reprinting of the floor and adding those portable bleachers behind the hoops would be cool. Your guys' thoughts?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Beeghly Center
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 09:29:30 AM »
Just a thought....have you guys ever wondered why we don't bring back the floor seats underneath the hoop and repaint the floor like it was 7-10 years ago. I've seen pictures of a packed beeghly center with a student section and butts in the seats...and this is when the team was REALLY bad. I'm currently a senior at YSU and I'm just curious as to why our games don't look like that now. I think I reprinting of the floor and adding those portable bleachers behind the hoops would be cool. Your guys' thoughts?
My initial thought is "who wants more empty seats?"  As I see it, the fundamental problem is while 1-AA football isn't a panacea, it is far better than having schools like YSU play 1-A where you never have tournament success.  IMO what we need is 1-AA basketball too.  Then we have a target that is realistic.  Maybe that would help develop some interest?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 11:01:40 AM »
If anything, I'd expand the chairback seats to the general admission sections.  I'd only begin the discussion on expansion once we've had two sellouts in the same season.  I've seen the GA seats walled off during games, I assume to avoid the bad optics of empty stands.  With an improving team, exciting players like Morse, an expanding enrollment, and visiting teams like Valpo (ranked top 25 in RPI), maybe it'll head in that direction where expansion is considered.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 08:22:37 PM »
Yea with success obviously the attendance would (should) increase. It just seems like the Beeghly Center is outdated and stuck in the past. Especially when you look at venues like NKU of Oakland in comparison.

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 08:26:01 PM »
Yea with success obviously the attendance would (should) increase. It just seems like the Beeghly Center is outdated and stuck in the past. Especially when you look at venues like NKU of Oakland in comparison.

This

should move home games to covelli center with student section on the floor and everyone else in chairs

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 09:56:34 AM »
Covelli has a smaller capacity, but capacity doesn't matter when the crowd you draw could all share the same box of popcorn.  Covelli is a modern facility, and the novelty of it may draw more fans.....but it didn't when YSU played Hiram there in 2012.....only 1500 at the game.....less then the usual fake attendance numbers.

Beeghly was filled up with the CSU game on ESPNU...and the crowds do help make Beeghly look like a legit venue. 

YSU really just needs to address it's neglect of the MBB program instead of letting it flounder endlessly.  Until the program is competitive, I don't see the venue mattering very much.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 03:25:10 PM »
Agreed Nation!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 05:29:55 PM »

This

should move home games to covelli center with student section on the floor and everyone else in chairs

I hope this never happens
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 05:30:59 PM »
Covelli has a smaller capacity, but capacity doesn't matter when the crowd you draw could all share the same box of popcorn.  Covelli is a modern facility, and the novelty of it may draw more fans.....but it didn't when YSU played Hiram there in 2012.....only 1500 at the game.....less then the usual fake attendance numbers.

Beeghly was filled up with the CSU game on ESPNU...and the crowds do help make Beeghly look like a legit venue. 

YSU really just needs to address it's neglect of the MBB program instead of letting it flounder endlessly.  Until the program is competitive, I don't see the venue mattering very much.

I agree
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 06:18:33 PM »

Agree.
We also have to consider the students. We have been trying to get more students to attend the games. In the ESPN televised CSU game several years ago, we packed Beeghly because volunteers went door to door in the dorms to encourge student to show up.
If we play the games in Covelli, the dorm residents will have to drive to the game and pay the parking fee. The other off campus students who can park at YSU for fee would now have to pay to park at Covelli.
I don't think this the way to attract more students to the game.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 06:44:33 PM »
YSU basketball plays at Beeghly. A couple of nice tournament attractions would be nice. Again, because the town thought too small in accepting the underfunded construction of the Chevy Center ...we cannot even attract a major college to play us at Covelli, but outside of that and any tourney ...Covelli makes no sense for YSU. You think OSU  or UC are going to travel to "The Ice Castle"? Well they are not going to travel to a 5k arena for basketball either. Also, if Tressel's goal is in excess of 50% of students on campus ...Double ET is right on the money with the issues of being an on vs. off campus facility

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 07:20:27 PM »
Just curious.....where does YSU Hockey play its home games?  I thought Covelli was a great hockey venue for the SteelHounds.  What is the status of YSU hockey....is it still a club sport? I know the HL does not sanction hockey.  Are they D1 independent?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 09:14:19 PM »
Just curious.....where does YSU Hockey play its home games?  I thought Covelli was a great hockey venue for the SteelHounds.  What is the status of YSU hockey....is it still a club sport? I know the HL does not sanction hockey.  Are they D1 independent?

They do play at Covelli and they are going to be ACHA DII this year very exciting. This means there can be scholarships, will a 5-year eligibility cap, 2.1 or above GPA and a lot more. Will be interesting to see hwre they go with this. I saw an article were they dropped Pete Penguin in place of the block-Y ...Rischelli says it is what the original hockey team used when it used to sanctioned decades ago. Not sure that I agree, but I like the enthusiasm. I understand that Pellini is dropping the first puck. The team used to be DI, but not varsity.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 09:41:07 PM »
let me rephrase that scholarship statement. They cannot receive scholarship for the playing of hockey, but they can pool funds. To give an idea, Penn State and Arizona state just went NCAA DI withing the last 2-years. OU has won 2-national championships in ACHA DI & they do sell out their area, which is about 1/2 the size of Covelli. On the other hand BG has a fully-scholarshiped NCAA DI team and have won nultiple national championships and regularly places players on the US and Canadian National teams ...be for ethey let the pros play. BG would drop football or basketball for hockey in a heartbeat. Back in the 1980's I went to see BGSU host Boston U ...It was the battle of #1 vs. #2 ...I cannot tell you how much fun it was.

BG has what they call a "blood ring" on the glass in the student section. The idea is to splatter your opponents blood in the ring. When it happens the fans go insane & throw out the octopus (or is it squid)? Which I thought was NHL, but they said it has to do with the NCAA tournament as well.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 09:50:35 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Found this:  http://ysuhockey.weebly.com/

It looks like they are at the Ice Zone mostly with a few games at Covelli.  IDK why they are not featured on ysusports.com, and instead have their own website.

The SteelHound games were a blast too.  Great promotions like throwing pucks into a ring on the ice during intermission.  Rowdy crowds that would pound the glass.  Michael Stanley's "My Town" playing before every game.  All good things must......