YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Beeghly Center

<< < (3/5) > >>

IAA Fan:
YSU basketball plays at Beeghly. A couple of nice tournament attractions would be nice. Again, because the town thought too small in accepting the underfunded construction of the Chevy Center ...we cannot even attract a major college to play us at Covelli, but outside of that and any tourney ...Covelli makes no sense for YSU. You think OSU  or UC are going to travel to "The Ice Castle"? Well they are not going to travel to a 5k arena for basketball either. Also, if Tressel's goal is in excess of 50% of students on campus ...Double ET is right on the money with the issues of being an on vs. off campus facility

Penguin Nation:
Just curious.....where does YSU Hockey play its home games?  I thought Covelli was a great hockey venue for the SteelHounds.  What is the status of YSU hockey....is it still a club sport? I know the HL does not sanction hockey.  Are they D1 independent?

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on January 15, 2016, 07:20:27 PM ---Just curious.....where does YSU Hockey play its home games?  I thought Covelli was a great hockey venue for the SteelHounds.  What is the status of YSU hockey....is it still a club sport? I know the HL does not sanction hockey.  Are they D1 independent?

--- End quote ---

They do play at Covelli and they are going to be ACHA DII this year very exciting. This means there can be scholarships, will a 5-year eligibility cap, 2.1 or above GPA and a lot more. Will be interesting to see hwre they go with this. I saw an article were they dropped Pete Penguin in place of the block-Y ...Rischelli says it is what the original hockey team used when it used to sanctioned decades ago. Not sure that I agree, but I like the enthusiasm. I understand that Pellini is dropping the first puck. The team used to be DI, but not varsity.

IAA Fan:
let me rephrase that scholarship statement. They cannot receive scholarship for the playing of hockey, but they can pool funds. To give an idea, Penn State and Arizona state just went NCAA DI withing the last 2-years. OU has won 2-national championships in ACHA DI & they do sell out their area, which is about 1/2 the size of Covelli. On the other hand BG has a fully-scholarshiped NCAA DI team and have won nultiple national championships and regularly places players on the US and Canadian National teams ...be for ethey let the pros play. BG would drop football or basketball for hockey in a heartbeat. Back in the 1980's I went to see BGSU host Boston U ...It was the battle of #1 vs. #2 ...I cannot tell you how much fun it was.

BG has what they call a "blood ring" on the glass in the student section. The idea is to splatter your opponents blood in the ring. When it happens the fans go insane & throw out the octopus (or is it squid)? Which I thought was NHL, but they said it has to do with the NCAA tournament as well.

Penguin Nation:
Thanks for the info.  Found this:  http://ysuhockey.weebly.com/

It looks like they are at the Ice Zone mostly with a few games at Covelli.  IDK why they are not featured on ysusports.com, and instead have their own website.

The SteelHound games were a blast too.  Great promotions like throwing pucks into a ring on the ice during intermission.  Rowdy crowds that would pound the glass.  Michael Stanley's "My Town" playing before every game.  All good things must......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version