YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

2016 Recruting

<< < (50/52) > >>

go guins:

--- Quote from: FOOTBALLFEVER on February 22, 2016, 10:24:27 AM ---Go Guins this is big boy football. ACCAC VS. the Missouri Valley conference NOT EVEN CLOSE. There are some exceptional athletes at various positions in the Juco ranks but groups as a whole are very weak, film does not lie. How do you think Davis or Wells would perform at a community college? They would probably tear it up 😊

--- End quote ---

I'm not arguing that ACCAC is equal to MVFC, but I AM arguing that ACCAC is a better gage of how a player will perform in the MVFC than a high school conference.  In Hosick's case we get JUCO film vs anybody else's high school film.  Secondly, superior performance is superior performance.  Hosick ran and passed in high school and in JUCO, he reasonably could be expected to run and pass reasonably successfully in the MVFC.  HOWEVER as I keep pointing out to Paladin, the biggest issue in a player is heart and we don't know about Hosick.  We DO know that Wells has failed to step up and perform at his best in the 4th quarter of any game he's played at YSU.  That isn't a good sign.

paladin:
Correct Fever.  It could be a Juco or a transfer. And , I expect the same next year .... they will go after another Juco or transfer at QB. If Hosick is injured   or doesn't work out, they are in a deep hole. They would be smart trying to plug the hole over the next two years.

The YO Show:
YSU hasn't been more than average at QB for a while. I say that, and I liked Hess. To me, even Hess felt average. I think its more of just getting a pretty good average QB and really improving our oline and wide receivers from last year. Not trying to knock the positions, and everyone is human and will drop a pass, but they need to really improve on dropped passes from last year.

The way I see it, if we improve our defense from last year, which was already vastly improved, and the oline play improves along with the wide receivers, we have a pretty good team. You don't need a spectacular qb just one that gets the job done. I'm not saying our current qb shouldn't improve or be up for grabs, because by all means flesh it out with a competition, but I don't know why everyone always focuses on the QB as the issue with a team not winning. My god, the browns have done that for years. Sure we need to recruit the best QB we can, but we also have to improve our game and recruit players to fill the other voids we have.

Our season ending record would be completely different if you take away even a few of the drop passes in key situations from last year. So, now that we brought in Hosick and are having a qb competition for the starting job, I argue we let that run its course and accept the eventual starter. I don't think bringing in another competitor beyond what the team currently has is a great idea. Doesn't matter if we had peyton manning as our qb if our wide receivers drop so many passes.

FOOTBALLFEVER:
First off I would like to say I think it's a great thing going out and getting Trent. This could be a really good thing for Wells and maybe just what he needs. I think that YSUGO put it best Quarterback play was not all of the problem. Both Davis and Wells put the team in a good enough situation that a 8-3 record was a possibility had some other things gone our way ( I think that's a hard point to argue ) Wells put on a clinic the first half against the Bison that other quarterbacks just don't do against a bison defense. It's hard to finish games when the ball is taking out of your hands and your trying to run clock. To constantly beat Davis and Wells into the ground is very unfair. And yes Go Guins the level of play in Juco  is better then that in High school. I never thought Wells would be able to adjust to the speed of the game and learn so quickly his first year in the MVC.Trent will be more slightly prepared then Wells was coming out of high school..but the transition period for players will vary..there are just alot of factors involved..let the competition begin even tho the majority of people on here have Trent circled in as the starter allready

Penguin Nation:
On his radio show this AM. Ricky Davis said that he could hear defenses say when he was put in that it was going to be a run play.  The defenses knew it, and played accordingly.  We knew it.  In other words, Shane telegraphed our plays to the opponent.  Ridiculous incompetence.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version