YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Toledo defensive coordinator Jon Heacock named interim head coach

<< < (4/9) > >>

Observer:

--- Quote from: YSU1 on November 30, 2015, 09:56:15 PM ---Why is it we lose players to Akron and Kent.  No one goes to their games. No tradition.  No Bowl game until this year for Akron.  What is the draw.

--- End quote ---

3 letters.  N. F. L.   If you are a kid playing college football in anything but D3 you have been trained to think that if you "work hard enough" You'll play on Sunday.  We all know this is not true.  Getting to the NFL is equal parts talent, hardwork, and more luck than not.  Part of that luck is, the biggest college you can feasibly go to the better chance you'll be noticed.  Harrison, Edelman, Cribbs, Kline, Muir, Elam, Murray,Williams, Young, Gates, Simmons, Konz, Kitchen, Archer, Winters,  All in the NFL and all played for Kent State in the last 15-20 years.  There are probably more.  In all 40 players in kent states history have made the NFL.  I think that's a bit of a draw.

ysubigred:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on November 30, 2015, 11:02:22 AM ---Wolf > JH versus UNI and P5 schools.

I'd say that JH had the same resources as JT, but the truth is JH had more....much more.  JH was handed a playoff caliber team...built and ready....all that was required was maintaining it.  JT had to build the program when he took over.

--- End quote ---

JH could not match JT! Maybe because he was running a cleaner ship?! JH did not have half the $$ and facilities Wolfman had and produced better results with less #twocents  Funny how you mentioned how well Wolf had a team ready for P5 teams but lost 3, 4 games in a row to MVFC teams to end a season LOL!!

ysubigred:

--- Quote from: ysubigred on December 01, 2015, 10:26:07 AM ---
--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on November 30, 2015, 11:02:22 AM ---Wolf > JH versus UNI and P5 schools.

I'd say that JH had the same resources as JT, but the truth is JH had more....much more.  JH was handed a playoff caliber team...built and ready....all that was required was maintaining it.  JT had to build the program when he took over.

--- End quote ---

JH could not match JT! Maybe because he was running a cleaner ship?! JH did not have half the $$ and facilities Wolfman had and produced better results with less #twocents  Funny how you mentioned how well Wolf had a team ready for P5 teams but lost 3, 4 games in a row to MVFC teams to end a season LOL!! UNI?? Beat arguably the worst UNI team in 25 years  ::)

--- End quote ---

IAA Fan:
Something else to bring up Red. When JT left, he not only left JH with no staff, Tressel also took all of his financial backers as well. This was a much more empty cupboard than people realize. It should also be pointed out that JT was his own AD, while Heacock had to answer to someone else. It may not seem like much, but it really is quite a change.

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on December 01, 2015, 10:49:27 AM ---Something else to bring up Red. When JT left, he not only left JH with no staff, Tressel also took all of his financial backers as well. This was a much more empty cupboard than people realize. It should also be pointed out that JT was his own AD, while Heacock had to answer to someone else. It may not seem like much, but it really is quite a change.

--- End quote ---

Balderdash.

I feel like I'm trying to convince you the sun rises in the East.

There are expected staff changes when there are HC changes.  But, let's take your premise seriously that JT left JH with an "empty cupboard."  What happened when JH filled the cupboard?  Let's look at his first four years as HC:

2001   Youngstown State   8–3   5–2   
2002   Youngstown State   7–4   4–3         
2003   Youngstown State   5–7   2–5         
2004   Youngstown State   4–7   2–5

Wait?! If the cupboard was bare in 2001, wouldn't that have been the worst year, and then the record would've improved after filling the cupboard?

The truth is the cupboard was full in 2001 with a team that was in the playoffs in 2000 and in a National Championship game in 1999.  JH set the cupboard on fire and then took a piss on it.

He has the skill set to be an DC.  I don't know anyone who would dispute that.  He is a proven failure at HC.  That's normal and that's OK.  No one is good at all things.  Paladin said something that is interesting.  Maybe at UT, his inadequacies as HC will be masked by a larger budget, fan base, etc.  I think that there likely is some truth in that. Also, likely he's learned a few things since his time at YSU.  My guess is if he becomes the permanent HC at UT, the slope of decline will be less steep than at YSU, but present nonetheless, and the tolerance for the decline will be very limited, and he'll be gone from UT within 5 years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version