YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

QB Thread

(1/16) > >>

YSUGO:
I agree football is a team sport and to say that one player is the problem i unfair.  Even Coach Pelini when asked point blank about him changing Quarterbacks chuckled and said that yes Wells made a bad decison but there were other reasons that were affecting the passing game.  Davis is the new winkle in the offense so far.  But Wells is QB1 and Pelini and Monty are all in with Wells.  If Wells lays an egg Saturday then all bets are off. If Wells pulls out the upset Saturday will that make the Davis supporters happy I doubt it.  I just want a win that's all.  Go Guins!

IAA Fan:
I have asked many time for people to put topics in one thread. Quite frankly I am tired of reading anti-Wells and anti-Montgomery stuff by the same couple of people all the time. Please keep it in here so that I can more easily ignore it.

Right now you have a QB coach working all game with all 3 quarterbacks. Gary is gone and no one wants to see Mays lose his red-shirt ...so you have 2 quarterbacks. You have two things that work well with Davis at QB ...the keeper and the sweep-toss. Of course I have always loved the option, but that is not what we are at this point. Everything else works better Wells taking snaps. Wells is a solid passer, with skills beyond our level; but consistency is an issue. Then again, if he was consistently that good ...he would not be here.

Penquin68:
As I see it, with our O line problems and lack of a big back, we need the QB to have the threat of running to keep the defense honest and to give the QB a chance when pass blocking breaks down. Wells can't do those things so the run game is slowed and the pass game must happen fast so he doesn't get sacked. That leads to the interceptions due to the quick read needed to avoid the sack.  Pass plays never get extended with Wells.  So from what I have seen, only Davis can get us over those issues and give us a chance to win against top opponents.  Not sure what his other issues are, but the coaches must think they are significant.

penguinpower:
I agree that Wells is the best QB.  The issue is that he is not progressing as he should be.  Why is that?  I say it is coaching.

go guins:
Wells in not the perfect QB.  Montgomery is not the perfect OC.   I am not the perfect hardware guy. My guess is anyone reading this is perfect either.  GOOD GRIEF, the game was 47-7!!  Yes, MSU was terrible.  That was the worst beat down I've ever seen vs a MVFC team.  In fact, it was among the worst against anybody, and I've seen a lot of them!  Can't we find anything positive going into NDSU?

My observations from Saturday are as follows.  We have had issues running inside since we changed 3 OL early in the year, but Saturday we did an outstanding job getting around the corner with good ol' "student body right" runs.  They may be young up front, but maybe a little more mobile and something to exploit.  Especially since our backs lack size, but speed is OK. 

Secondly, Hunter is pretty deadly on crossing patterns in the middle, both intermediate and deeper "skinny post" patterns.   However, he has a real tendency to float the ball to the outside, setting up several INTs this season.   I believe key to next two games is running wide and throwing across the middle.

Thirdly, after the Wolford years, we finally are playing the kind of D that wins games.  We don’t have all great players, but we play hard and we play aggressively, and although it isn’t always pretty to watch, it continues to get better. Win or lose Saturday, we are on the right track.  We have a lot of good young players and we are improving.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version