YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Game Day: Guins vs. Bears

<< < (5/6) > >>

ysufan0505:
We need to throw NDSU a new wrinkle. They are going to stop the run, they always do. Especially with our O-Line issues. Wells is going to be a sitting duck if we decide to sit back and throw the ball. Davis needs to come in, run a couple read options but they really need to throw the ball with him. He can do it. He's got a stronger arm than Wells, and is just about the same in accuracy.

Double ET:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on November 08, 2015, 11:28:46 AM ---
--- Quote from: YSUGO on November 08, 2015, 10:21:16 AM ---
--- Quote from: ysufan0505 on November 08, 2015, 10:03:09 AM ---I'd like to see Davis start this saturday.

--- End quote ---

Wells can a good ball down the middle on the crossing routes, to the tight end down the middle and to wideout running down the side line and on a post pattern.

He is not good at throwing the ball on a square out toward the sideline to the backs, tightened and wideouts. Looking down at for those receivers the whole time did nothing to help himself. The CB just jumped the route. Many of this sideline throws were late. So, quit calling those plays until he can look off the DBs or learn to throw it on time.

He was unable to look for alternate targets when the primary receiver is covered. Yesterday, on one of them plays, the receiver was double covered on his left towards the sideline while the tight end was running down the middle while open. He had plenty of time to look around (with good protection). But he forced the ball into double coverage with either minimum gain or incompletion.

If we continue to call those sideline passes without having him looking off the receivers, he will be more than just pick #6. He will also be pick #12 (taking over Ricky Davis' jersey number).

For what reason.  Wells didn't play himself out of the starters job.  I am sure the Bison want him to start too.  Davis had no clue about the passing game in Montys offense he should have been picked the one time he tried to throw down field into quadruple coverage.  But he better be ready to play next week we will need both guys.

--- End quote ---

To beat NDSU the execution must be near flawless. We know #6 likely will not execute at the required level. We know he won't escape the pass rush. IMO, starting #6 is dooming the outcome of the game.

I thought it was telling that #12 only had 7 passes against MSU and that Wells played after the half. The coaching staff has so little confidence in him that they felt he needed more practice. For whatever bizarre reason, they are married to the concept of starting #6 despite his past performance.  They are going down with the ship if necessary. At least with #12 there is chance. When I last looked #12 has a higher completion % and higher yards/attempt.

--- End quote ---

Karl Hungus:
Any word on the Missouri player that was wheeled off the field ? Hope all is well.

guinpen:

--- Quote from: YSUGO on November 08, 2015, 06:40:52 AM ---Wells was 15/25 for 241 for 3 tds and 1 int.  Am I happy with the int no.  We won like we were supposed to.  It's a November win, a league win, a team win.

--- End quote ---

I am not pro or anti Wells, just amazed with negative Nellie's.

penguinpower:
Wells is the best QB we have.  He needs to be coached to look off the defensive backs and not lock on to one guy.  That is the whole issue as I see it.  The OL patch job has been rocky at times.  They need to play out O their asses to pull this off

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version