YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Just dreaming! How about starting a new Rivalry!

<< < (2/4) > >>

ysufan0505:
We're never playing Akron or Can't.

go guins:
If I were Akron or Kent I certainly wouldn't want to play YSU.  Nothing to gain, much to lose.  Yes, they will pick up a few fans at the game, but how many?  Maybe 200 @ $20?  That's $4K for a university with a well over 1/2 BILLION budget?  Peanuts.  But nobody wants to be 1-A with a loss to a 1-AA school, I wouldn't want to play "down" if I were them. 
The bigger question is what happens to YSU if the "money game" with the "power 5" conferences goes away?  We have a ridiculous amount of travel expense built into a league with most of the teams for 1000-2000 miles away. Frankly I could see a day after Bo and JT when we go limited scholarship and play with Dayton, Robert Morris Duquesne etc. in the Pioneer league.  I believe the net travel would be less (even though I know San Diego and Deland FL are a hike.  (at least they are nicer places for the teams to visit!

ysufan0505:
Dana Balash ‏@DanaBalash21  17h17 hours ago

.@21WFMJSports  I've been told the Youngstown State football team will play at Pitt in 2017. They'll play at West Virginia in 2016.

go guins:

--- Quote from: ysufan0505 on October 29, 2015, 10:40:35 AM ---Dana Balash ‏@DanaBalash21  17h17 hours ago

.@21WFMJSports  I've been told the Youngstown State football team will play at Pitt in 2017. They'll play at West Virginia in 2016.

--- End quote ---
That won't be Big10 money, but it will be a TON compaired to a home game! 
Good to go for 2 years anyway.

IAA Fan:
What aggravates me is the fact that NCAA gave (then) IA an extra week and game with the understanding that IA/FBS teams would schedule a weaker opponent (I-AA). In short the entire reason the IA/FBS got this game was to play I-AA/FCS clubs and give us a chance to recover some expenses.

Now we have two power-conferences that say they will not do this. So why are teams from these conferences allowed to play the extra week/game? I would think that with a play-off that will undoubtedly increase in size, IA/FBS teams would not want this extra game, as the season is probably going to increase by 2-6 weeks very soon.

This being said, I am not (now, nor ever been) in favor of any team playing "up" or "down". YSU playing non-scholarship or partial-scholarship team is fine, as the NCAA classifies them as I-AA/FCS. We should never be playing IA/FBS, D-II, D-III, or NAIA teams.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version