Author Topic: Losing season  (Read 15370 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Losing season
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 06:45:05 PM »
I really think Bo Pelini will be the next football coach at the University of Minnesota and he will take the majority of his staff with him to replace Jerry Kill who just decided to step down 😨

How do we go from:" Bo wants to be here" and "Bo wanted to come back and send his kids to Mooney" and "Bo wants to coach under an administration that will support him"?  Now at the drop of a hat, he is ready to take another job.  I don't get it.  He hasn't been here a year.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:20:02 PM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 10:32:25 PM »
I think that you have a better chance of seeing Jim Tressel take the job. There was discussion before that the NCAA would grant coach T just cause to temporarily coach at Minnesota, because of Kill's cancer treatments. Then JT would just stay on. I heard from reliable source that the NCAA was not "buying" it 2 years ago. Who knows about now?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 10:43:01 AM »
I don't see any way either BP or JT takes that job.  Bo gets Nebraska money for coaching 1-AA (team not coaching our blogger 1-AA!)  JT will retire as President of YSU.  Coaching second level Big10 FB or BB is a nightmare.  Good grief, they both WON in the Big 10 and got fired, they aren't going back and lose!  It would take years to build MN to contend.  BP will get YSU in playoffs a couple times and when contract up, will take a power 5 job with a 500 or better team.  Only job JT would even consider would be running against Brown for the US Senate, and that's a real possibility but he isn't going back to the sidelines. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 12:29:23 PM »
I don't see Bo going anywhere until the Nebraska money runs out.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 01:08:31 PM »
My 5 year prediction:

BP......HC at a P5 program.

JT......Senator or Governor.

Carl P.......HC at YSU (unless HC in 2016 at Akron after Terry Bowden's firing...it would be the most sensible thing  Akron has ever done).
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 03:18:19 PM »
My 5 year prediction:

Carl P.......HC at YSU (unless HC in 2016 at Akron after Terry Bowden's firing...it would be the most sensible thing  Akron has ever done).

BP, I can see that.  3 years in playoffs should get P5 job. 

I would LOVE JT as governor.  Senate may take too long, but he'd be good there too.

CP at YSU isn't impossible since you are right, Akron hardly ever does anything right and this would be right.

RE: T Bowden.  My dad was a great carpenter.  I can't build a damn thing.  Bowden's dad was a great coach, but Terry's coaching skills rivals my construction skills! 

Offline Blo Pelini

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 04:46:30 PM »
My 5 year prediction:

Carl will not be the HC at YSU ever.  He is a liability nightmare. See FAU.  He was applying for high school coaching jobs in the mid-west and wouldn't even get an interview.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2015, 07:03:49 PM »
My 5 year prediction:

Carl will not be the HC at YSU ever.  He is a liability nightmare. See FAU.  He was applying for high school coaching jobs in the mid-west and wouldn't even get an interview.

At FAU, where the University president cleared Carl of drug use, and where Carl offered to immediately take a urine drug screen, and where all of his urine drug screens were negative?

Worst case scenario, if he did drugs (again...zero evidence he did), if it wasn't affecting his job performance, then I couldn't care less.  Seriously...why care...drug prohibition is idiotic anyway.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/mar/28/redemption-road/

The only thing about Carl that concerns me is his 5-15 record at FAU.  However, that is a big improvement over the 1-11/0-8 record of Howard Schnellenberger's last season in 2011 (as an aside, I was at the dedication of the stadium last year which was cool).  Plus, during Carl's second season, they upgraded conferences from the Sun Belt to CUSA.  The rest of his record as DC at NE and at OU is impressive.

Carl would be an asset to any program.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 09:45:03 AM »
Carl as the next head coach at YSU..Thanks but know thanks. He's lucky to still have a job after that all out blitz call up 11.. I wasn't surprised Bo defended that play call on his radio show but I was disappointed he swept his players under the bus for not picking up the back out of the backfield..one to many meltdowns Defensively this season and I don't feel it's all on the players

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2015, 10:40:53 AM »
BTW the Guins are ranked 5th in all of FCS for fewest penalties committed. We would probably be first if we didn't take such screwing by the refs against Illinois st. This tells me one thing we do have smart players ☺

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2015, 11:45:19 AM »
BTW the Guins are ranked 5th in all of FCS for fewest penalties committed. We would probably be first if we didn't take such screwing by the refs against Illinois st. This tells me one thing we do have smart players ☺
  OR players that aren't aggressive enough!  Historically, there isn't much correlation between penalties and won/loss percentage, also interceptions usually same way.  With the exception of the freak in NE, the NFL list of interceptions doesn't match win loss very closely.  Aggressiveness more important the just penalties.  I'm fine with penalties of commission, not omission. Raw stats don't show them that way.