Author Topic: Facts are Facts after our loss to the Rabbits!  (Read 15106 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Facts are Facts after our loss to the Rabbits!
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 09:51:39 AM »
1-AA
1. Wells has not improved. I suggest Tanner Gary over either of the other two. As long as he knows the offense, he is truly the most balanced QB. Although with his lack of snaps ...he probably is not ready.

When you think the savior of your team is the 3rd QB, you are REALLY in trouble!  First is demonstrates a COMPLETE lack of confidence in your entire coaching staff.  Problem with this offense isnt the QB, it's the OL. 

2. O-Line depth is almost non-existent. Yes, three out with injury is terrible, but we did not see back-ups in use (by design) last year or this. Although in coach P's defense, last night was the first time we had a score to use back-ups.

No depth?  You are starting the #6, 7, and 8 OLineman.  For depth you are now down to #9, 10, and 11  How much depth is it reasonable to think you will have at 1-AA? 

3. There is no depth in special teams & they do not know their assignments. Ball height on kick-offs is going to be the foundation of any repairs here and I do not see it. Although Sheely has saved this team.

No depth?  Good grief, there is NO front line!  We don't rank in the top 50 in punting, punt coverage, punt returns, kick off coverage, or kick off returns. NOT IN THE TOP 50!! Our special teams outside of Kennedy STINK!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 01:15:59 PM »
That is okay Red ...I can take it. I can completely understand where you are coming from in your dislike. To say that his offense is not producing is what I will not agree with. He is a system guy, so there is no "in-between" ...you either like it or hate it. Besides, Since ILS is running basically the same offense, you might as well expect other teams in the conference to do the same. If I see a 3rd team pick it up, then I would like to see coach M add back some of the complexities that he had a few years ago; but this is probably not going to happen for a while. His older style was really a big-time college or NFL offense, so it was hard for younger guys to grasp, but it is really pretty when it works.

I also see the drawbacks of having an offense that is designed to score on every play. It can keep your defense on the field too long. Simply put, if the ball is on our own 20 ...Montgomery's plays are designed to go for 80-yards. If the ball is at mid-field, his plays are designed to go 50-yards. Where a guy like Tressel was primarily a 3.3 to 10-yard guy.

If I have one compliant myself, that is a lack of a true "big package". Something more than just adding a TE. Although to Montgomery's defense, Ruiz hits like a big back when he is healthy & we also lost Moore, our other hard-nosed back. So we are going with a couple of smaller guys all the time.

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 01:33:33 PM »
I get so tired of hearing he is a system guy.  His offense may be great if the QB is smart enough to run the offense.  Kurt Hess wasn't a brain surgeon but he was smart enough to run the offense and still was watered down. Hunter Wells just isn't good and looks like he isn't smart enough to run the offense.  Our offense reminds me of the wildcat stuff in the NFL.  Yah looks great but at the end of the day other teams figured it out and shut it down year after year.  Why do you think we are using a tight end as a fullback?  Bo probably told Montgomery I want to line up and run the ball down their throats and we have no full back.  It's just hard to watch.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 03:34:09 PM »
You may well be right on Wells JP ...hard to say. Certainly he has run the offense very well in the past. I really do not think Bo has that much to do with the offense, but certainly he knows what is coming and it is his team. As to the TE running the ball, Montgomery put that in back with Sharbaugh about 3to4-years ago. It opens up the TE pass as well & Hess (not a very mobile guy) seemed to blossom with that. Maybe coach M is hoping the same will happen with Wells. The one thing Hess did on the TE passes is run when Sharbaugh (or Adams) drew back the coverage. (I.E. the 2-point conversion against ILS was the exact same play).

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 03:43:28 PM »
I am not saying anything negative about Kuhn and Woods; but does anybody here think that we could have some benefit if Discher could try going back to TE for some plays? Or just too thin? He has incredible ability to catch high throws and I would love to see him in the game a bit more. I mean Kuhn and Wood are both 6-5, so it may not be worth the try. I just want to see him get more reps, he seems to get open over the middle.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 04:19:25 PM »
I am not saying anything negative about Kuhn and Woods; but does anybody here think that we could have some benefit if Discher could try going back to TE for some plays? Or just too thin? He has incredible ability to catch high throws and I would love to see him in the game a bit more. I mean Kuhn and Wood are both 6-5, so it may not be worth the try. I just want to see him get more reps, he seems to get open over the middle.

Frankly I'd be OK with moving Kuhn to RB full time and get some size and power there, but beyond that you are looking for easy solutions to not so easy problems.  This is a 7-4 team coming back with a change in coaches and a step back isn't that big of a surprise, JT won, what 2 games his first year?  The great EW won only 3.  Takes time and health and BP has huge problems with the OL health to go with other changes.  I think WR's had a bad game, and maybe Discher getting more snaps may happen, but I doubt TE.   
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 07:55:31 PM »
My concern is the wide receivers have been rather inconsistent all year. I wonder though, not that I don't like Kuhn at fullback, but what about using Demond Hymes as a fullback? I know we used to typically use him and Ruiz in power runs (and NOT Webb like we've been doing while Ruiz has been hurt).

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2015, 08:28:32 PM »
My concern is the wide receivers have been rather inconsistent all year. I wonder though, not that I don't like Kuhn at fullback, but what about using Demond Hymes as a fullback? I know we used to typically use him and Ruiz in power runs (and NOT Webb like we've been doing while Ruiz has been hurt).
Yo- I think we're starting to find out what a key lose Ryan Moore was

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 03:19:11 PM »
Bad move putting Hymes at FB. He missed parts of both his Jr. & Sr. years at Harding becasue of injury. He has missed time at YSU because of injury ( including the starting spot early when he got hurt). RB is fine, but  adding blocking just puts him at risk.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 06:04:55 PM »
Paladin, good insight then. Didn't realize that Hymes was injury prone.

Fever, I agree. it is a shame not having moore.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2015, 01:49:09 PM »
I suggest Tanner Gary over either of the other two. As long as he knows the offense, he is truly the most balanced QB. Although with his lack of snaps ...he probably is not ready.

You might want to re-think your suggestion.  He isn't even listed on the roster.