YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Facts are Facts after our loss to the Rabbits!

(1/6) > >>

YSUGO:
If I was joe average fan and comparing football programs this is what I would see.  Us 1 playoff appearance in 15 years.  Them, 4 playoff appearances  in 6 years.  Us 3 different HC in 6 years.  Them, 1 in 19yrs.  We have all new asst coaches except 2 on offense and 1 on D.  They have most of the same staff with 6 plus years with the program.  We had 3 guys missing on the O line as well.  Throw in all the other crap and WHY would anybody think we had a chance today.  We are a mess because we are REBUILDING again. All the damage from the last 2 coaches will take years to fix.  Heacock got lucky when a guy named Mason showed up and it got him to the playoffs.  Wolford limited in HC skills, recruited guys that were better athletes and met the eye test on the field but couldn't coach them up because a lot of them lacked the work ethic, leadership and little football IQ.  We had 2 whiffs, while the other guys have built a program. 

ScarletRook:
I think that is: rebuilding AGAIN

Penguin Nation:
Have we regressed from last year?  We beat SDSU last year @ Brookings. The defense is better, but is that gain overcome by deterioration in offense and special teams?

What game can we point to and say we are better? Pitt? No..we almost beat IL. USD? No...we never lost to them.  STFU? No for same reasons..plus it's a joke game that makes us weaker.

Other than hype about a BIG HC and BIG transfers, I see no evidence that we are a better team than 2014.

IAA Fan:
We are clearly not Nation. Here are my thoughts:

1. Wells has not improved. I suggest Tanner Gary over either of the other two. As long as he knows the offense, he is truly the most balanced QB. Although with his lack of snaps ...he probably is not ready.

2. O-Line depth is almost non-existent. Yes, three out with injury is terrible, but we did not see back-ups in use (by design) last year or this. Although in coach P's defense, last night was the first time we had a score to use back-ups.

3. There is no depth in special teams & they do not know their assignments. Ball height on kick-offs is going to be the foundation of any repairs here and I do not see it. Although Sheely has saved this team.

4. Tackle, tackle, tackle. Placing your head down and use a shoulder against a player that just intercepted the ball? Get down and lock up those legs. The guy was small.

5. I like our receiving corpse and our defensive ends. However, the receivers are dropping balls and the ends are rushing during a safety-blitz? Just who do you think is going to stop the opposing player ...the cold weather? I suggest that Wells inconsistent passing has a lot to do with the dropped balls, I also suggest that we look into better defensive schemes (now-coordinator) Stoops. Sorry to the locals here , but folks ..."this ain't Cardinal Mooney and this ain't Nebraska" ...our HC needs to learn I-AA/FCS football. Great players are not knocking on the door to play at YSU.

6. The D does not get a pass. The talent-level is not at MVFC standards. Although we suspected this under coach W, despite the media's reminding us how great of a recruiter he was for for us. The reason that we never saw this under Wolf, is because Penguin defenses never engaged opposing players under Wolf ...everything was positioning.

7. Coaching. This SDSU QB last night had no idea what to do, we should have been blitzing him on every-single play ...I mean that literally. Every single play. We could have sacked him 25+ times. Just no excuse not send send him back to the plains with a renewed sense of respect for grass!

ScarletRook:
I didn't see Tanner on the sidelines and he was not the holder.... gone too?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version