Author Topic: Conference Play  (Read 5602 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Conference Play
« on: September 23, 2015, 01:50:54 PM »
As we head into conference play, I would like to forget the past for a thread and look at the conference performance leaders:

1. We all should know that YSU leads the nation in past defense. We are also #4 nationally in Total Defense. However, I would like to point out that NDSU is allowing an average of only 184-yards in their last two games.

2. After last week, SDSU linebacker TJ Lally is the national career tackles leader & ranks #2 in TFL's.

3. Punters, Sullens (MSU) and Krause (NDSU) are #1 & #2 respectively in the nation. Sullens is less than 100-yards away from the MVFC all-time punt-yardage leader. Obviously that is good and bad.

4. SIU and QB Iannotti leads the nation in total offense, with an average of 426.

5. SIU is #5 and SDSU #7 respectively in national passing offense. ON the other hand, YSU is #18 and NDSU comes up at #19 in rushing. Talk about a change in the conference dynamic. It used to be that only WIU would rank in passing.

6. SDSU, WIU, ILS and USD are ranked in the top-20 in turn-over margin; with UNI and YSU right behind tied at 21.

7. NDSU is ranked #2 in time-of possession nationally. They will be #1 before long. I might add that the next closest MVFC team is YSU, ranked at 23. I know that with an improved defense, coach M, could chew-up more clock on O, but I did not expect it to come this quickly. Then again, it is only week-3, but I certainly hope this does not change. The xDSU's always control the ball so well.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Conference Play
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 02:57:21 PM »
 Boy, to look at all these stats this early to me is pretty meaningless.  There is NO DOUBT our pass defense is much improved, but in all honesty, much of the last 2 weeks complete shutdowns are weather related.  By the same token, I don't think we have had the QB pressure I think we might develop going forward.  I do think RMU and SFSU played to stuff the run and we played more "straight up", which helped there running stats.  I also know the big backs in Pitt and RMU gave us a lot of trouble.  I was surprised and pleased to see the use of the FB carrying the ball inside against SFSU.  I do wish we had a 230 240 lb. TB for occasional use, but we don't. 
If you put one foot in boiling water and one in ice water you can say “on average, my feet are the right temperature”.  My point is, you play a Power 5 conference 1-A school and then a no scholarship 1-AA and a limited scholarship 1-AA school and your stats might be “average” but not mean a thing. 
IMO analyzing these stats you’ve listed will need about 3 additional weeks to be relevant.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 03:30:31 PM »
One caveat, the stats for NDSU, and other conference teams, may be relevant. NDSU played all three games so far against fcs teams.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 03:44:25 PM »
There are 3 area's we need to improve on from last season in  M.V.C play. We as a team finished a very respectable 4th in overall defense and 5th in overall offense. The Red-zone offense on the other hand  finished 10th and Red-zone defense finished 9th in conference play. We were also ranked 10th in the turnover margin with a minus 8. Depending on how well our defense is playing we do have the ability with this offense to run clock. It would be nice if we could get our T.O.P around the 35+ minute mark. And yes sometimes your best defense is your offense. Not really wanting to trade score for score this season but I do think we have an offense that can do just that if need be
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 04:17:04 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 03:19:29 PM »
There are 3 area's we need to improve on from last season in  M.V.C play. We as a team finished a very respectable 4th in overall defense and 5th in overall offense. The Red-zone offense on the other hand  finished 10th and Red-zone defense finished 9th in conference play. We were also ranked 10th in the turnover margin with a minus 8. Depending on how well our defense is playing we do have the ability with this offense to run clock. It would be nice if we could get our T.O.P around the 35+ minute mark. And yes sometimes your best defense is your offense. Not really wanting to trade score for score this season but I do think we have an offense that can do just that if need be
Very good points!
We played most of the games very competitively during the whole Wolford era, but we always seemed to find a way to lose in the 4th quarter.   We need a better conditioned team, more depth and a coaching staff that goes for the win, not to trying to prevent a loss. 
Let’s hope that’s what Bo brings.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 03:40:16 PM »
Very good points!
We played most of the games very competitively during the whole Wolford era, but we always seemed to find a way to lose in the 4th quarter.   We need a better conditioned team, more depth and a coaching staff that goes for the win, not to trying to prevent a loss. 
Let’s hope that’s what Bo brings.

I believe that more depth, that is more developed depth, would go a long way as the season wears on.
I understand consistency with starters, but an opponent like SFU would have been the prime opportunity to play your depth sooner.  It always bothers me to risk injury to key players when the game is out of hand.  It would be a good opportunity to work on clock management in games similar to last week.  Special teams is still suspect at times.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 03:42:18 PM by ScarletRook »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 12:09:12 PM »
I believe that more depth, that is more developed depth, would go a long way as the season wears on.
I understand consistency with starters, but an opponent like SFU would have been the prime opportunity to play your depth sooner.  It always bothers me to risk injury to key players when the game is out of hand.  It would be a good opportunity to work on clock management in games similar to last week.  Special teams is still suspect at times.
[/quote]

Developed depth is absolutely correct.  Ya' gotta play 'em to get them ready.  Looking at the starters, we have a TON of juniors, so ok for a year, but we have work to do to statain a quality team.
The older I get, the more special teams make me nervous.  I love scoring, but hate kicking off! 

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 12:15:08 PM »
First week of conference play leads off with two big-time matchups, NDSU vs SDSU and UNI vs ILS.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 02:16:36 PM »
Still hard to figure out who has what, but apparently Robert Morris was pretty true to form for to 2015 team
Saturday vs SDSU
                               att.  yds   ave.
Rush Totals...            38  236    6.0

And the QB was about as bad as we saw in the rain.
                          comp att int    yds.
BARR, Mathew           4-12-0     43

RMU lost convincingly, but that run game that gave us some real trouble looks to be "for real".