Author Topic: 4 pm Saturday at the Castle: YSU versus STFU  (Read 29613 times)

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 4 pm Saturday at the Castle: YSU versus STFU
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2015, 12:44:30 PM »
I watched the game via espn3 about 600 miles away from Youngstown.

The defense looked impressive, far and away better than last year. The offensive line opened some nice holes for the backs and the additional dimension of using TE Kuhn was a good move.

If this team is going to win many games in the MVCF; they definitely need a mobile QB - I like what I saw in Ricky Davis!!  All of the top NCAA football teams now use mobile QB's to open up the offenses. In the pocket passing has gone away like the dodo bird. Either Wells starts running (there were plenty of opportunities) or replace him with Ricky Davis. Ricky adds a 4th dimension to the offense that will put far more pressure on our opponents defenses.

GO PENGUINS!!!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2015, 01:26:08 PM »
LOL!  Why the love affair with Ricky Davis!  He can't beat out Wells.  He hasn't shown anything other than he can run.  He scored a TD running and in the process showboated and received a penalty.  Has Hunter struggled yes. We are 2 -1 and that is exactly where we all thought.  Would I put in Davis a series or 2 every game yes.  For now I think Wells gives us the best chance.  We had a QB that was mobile and he transferred to Slippery Rock!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 03:19:10 PM by YSUGO »
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2015, 02:45:00 PM »
Yesterday was further proof of the huge leap forward the defense had this year. Glad to see the offense clicking better too, but wish we could start  hot. Noticed the offense has yet to score a TD on an opening drive.

Still, I'm very encouraged with what I saw. Excited to start conference play!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2015, 09:28:49 AM »

And Bo did not strangle him after his gymnastic takeoff into the end zone.
[/quote]

He should have!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2015, 11:03:41 AM »
LOL!  Why the love affair with Ricky Davis!  He can't beat out Wells.  He hasn't shown anything other than he can run.  He scored a TD running and in the process showboated and received a penalty.  Has Hunter struggled yes. We are 2 -1 and that is exactly where we all thought.  Would I put in Davis a series or 2 every game yes.  For now I think Wells gives us the best chance.  We had a QB that was mobile and he transferred to Slippery Rock!

The 'love affair' should be that we have a dependable QB as backup.
Not defending his showboating, but he isn't the first - just not the most loved.
Sadly, we might not have Ricky Davis for very long.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2015, 11:47:03 AM »
 Who is the most popular player on any football team?  The backup QB, that's who!
The 1st and by leaps and bounds, most important thing for the QB is throwing the ball.  If he can run, that's a nice addition and all things being equal, a real plus.  BUT throwing is far and away the most important thing.  We have had 2 of the most miserable days for throwing I've seen at YSU and calling for Hunter to be replaced because his stats aren't that great is silly.  MG, our defensive secondary is MUCH improved, but 25 yards total passing in 2 games?!?!?!  It isn't that good! 

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2015, 12:22:21 PM »
Scalzo's final articles as a reporter covering YSU:

Good luck to Joe in Canton.  He's done a good job covering the Guins.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2015, 12:55:45 PM »
Scalzo's final articles as a reporter covering YSU:

Good luck to Joe in Canton.  He's done a good job covering the Guins.
ditto to Joe! and agreed on the job he's done

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2015, 07:56:17 PM »
Sorry I am late on this conversation.  Who is taking his place?

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2015, 09:09:54 PM »
Who is the most popular player on any football team?  The backup QB, that's who!
The 1st and by leaps and bounds, most important thing for the QB is throwing the ball.  If he can run, that's a nice addition and all things being equal, a real plus.  BUT throwing is far and away the most important thing.  We have had 2 of the most miserable days for throwing I've seen at YSU and calling for Hunter to be replaced because his stats aren't that great is silly.  MG, our defensive secondary is MUCH improved, but 25 yards total passing in 2 games?!?!?!  It isn't that good!
This is a excellent post..The last thing we need or should have is a quarterback controversy on our hands. Ricky is a very good kid and a excellent athlete. It has been a open quarterback competition between the two under Wolford and now pelini. Montgomery's offense is very complicated and one must have it upstairs and show the ability to throw into tight spaces in this offense. Wells has missed some throws and reads along the way but his overall performance has been very solid considering the weather conditions and the amount of dropped passes. In the Iowa victory over Pitt the Hawkeyes Qb's were less then stellar against the Pitt defense in good conditions. This offense will put up very good numbers in conference play..2 weeks of preparation and going into the South Dakota game healthy will be huge !!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2015, 12:21:10 AM »
This is a excellent post..The last thing we need or should have is a quarterback controversy on our hands. Ricky is a very good kid and a excellent athlete. It has been a open quarterback competition between the two under Wolford and now pelini. Montgomery's offense is very complicated and one must have it upstairs and show the ability to throw into tight spaces in this offense. Wells has missed some throws and reads along the way but his overall performance has been very solid considering the weather conditions and the amount of dropped passes. In the Iowa victory over Pitt the Hawkeyes Qb's were less then stellar against the Pitt defense in good conditions. This offense will put up very good numbers in conference play..2 weeks of preparation and going into the South Dakota game healthy will be huge !!

Oh here we go with the "Montgomery's offense is complicated".... Lol. Just relax.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2015, 09:40:16 AM »
Powell did not play at all today.

Hey YSUGO,

Will Powell be out long, or is it just something minor?