YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

4 pm Saturday at the Castle: YSU versus STFU

<< < (3/12) > >>

go guins:
PP "Until we show we can stop the run, I will not make a prediction."

Watching the tape delay again, I was struck by the number of downs we were in the "nickel" defensively.  5 DB's against a team that clearly had passing issues and was going to run, followed by another run, and then switch it up to a run.  The game almost had the feel of an NFL preseason game where you don't game plan, but rather work in things you have identified as weaknesses of your team.  If this is the case, and we have had real issues stopping the pass in the Wolford era, then obviously the coaching staff was guilty of looking ahead.  But to go the whole game, even to overtime without loading up the box and forcing the run is inconceivable.   How did anybody else see the D strategy?

FOOTBALLFEVER:

--- Quote from: go guins on September 16, 2015, 09:35:34 AM ---PP "Until we show we can stop the run, I will not make a prediction."

Watching the tape delay again, I was struck by the number of downs we were in the "nickel" defensively.  5 DB's against a team that clearly had passing issues and was going to run, followed by another run, and then switch it up to a run.  The game almost had the feel of an NFL preseason game where you don't game plan, but rather work in things you have identified as weaknesses of your team.  If this is the case, and we have had real issues stopping the pass in the Wolford era, then obviously the coaching staff was guilty of looking ahead.  But to go the whole game, even to overtime without loading up the box and forcing the run is inconceivable.   How did anybody else see the D strategy?

--- End quote ---
Yes Go Guins and this is a excellent point you bring up. On their long TD run we blitzed a backer to the wrong hole and they hit the next hole over and know one was there. They were able to ride our defensive lineman down the line of scrimmage all night and the cutbacks were there with ease. It will be interesting to watch the defensive schemes this Saturday. There is know doubt in my mind if we line up properly to defend offenses we have the playmaker's to make consistent plays on a regular basis.

go guins:
Read these blogs and you'd be absolutely certain RMU ran all over YSU all night long. 
Facts are:
49 rushes 152 yards 3.1 ave.
AFTER THEIR 1st CARRY
48 rushes 111 yards 2.3 ave.

Funny, I guess statistics DO lie after all!

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: go guins on September 16, 2015, 11:14:52 AM ---Read these blogs and you'd be absolutely certain RMU ran all over YSU all night long. 
Facts are:
AFTER THEIR 1st CARRY

--- End quote ---

The issue for me is that we allowed a 24 scholarship team to run on EVERY SINGLE PLAY in an 84 yard drive(not sure on exactly how long the drive was) in the 4th quarter while knowing fully that they could not pass.

ysubigred:

--- Quote from: go guins on September 16, 2015, 11:14:52 AM ---Read these blogs and you'd be absolutely certain RMU ran all over YSU all night long. 
Facts are:
AFTER THEIR 1st CARRY

--- End quote ---

I seen those stats, and laughed at the non-educated arm chair QBs on here :o

I've been saying it for 5 years now. The Defense is getting killed by YSU "O" ~ 3 and outs or score in 1 minute. BAM! Defense back out on the field. With Monty's offense over the last 5 years YSU really look great for a half/QTR or against sub-par teams. No one paid attention to the defense and the depth that it requires to play that side of the ball in a conference that plays 4 QTR's. Last week showed what a well-coached team can do to this Offense coordinator's game plan with less talent. The weather played some role in the bad team performance but come on man!

The issue for me is a ~60 scholarship team can't do a 84 yard drive in the 4th quarter while knowing fully that they can pass against a 24 scholarship team  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version