YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

4 pm Saturday at the Castle: YSU versus STFU

(1/12) > >>

Penguin Nation:
STFU (1-1) has a win over woeful Georgetown and a respectable loss @ Towson.  STFU and Towson were tied 7-7 at the end of the first quarter before the Tigers eventually pulled away and won 35-21.  In the losing effort, STFU's Lorenzo Jerome returned a kickoff for a touchdown and Terell Smith caught two touchdown passes.

The STFU offense gained 197 yards on the day.  Junior quarterback Zack Drayer completed 16 of 25 passes for 168 yards and two touchdowns.  Senior receiver Terell Smith caught eight passes for 102 yards and two scores.  His second straight 100-yard game.  Senior running back Khairi Dickson had 36 yards on 15 carries.

On the defensive side, senior linebacker Semo Sila led the unit with a career-high 14 tackles, doubling his previous career high of seven.  Sila also forced a fumble and broke up two passes.  Jerome (mentioned on special teams above) also had a big day on defense, totaling 11 tackles, including one for loss, and intercepting a pass in the fourth quarter.

This is the seventh meeting of these two schools, and YSU leads the series 6-0.  Last year, YSU won 52-23, and in 2011, YSU won 49-23.  Long before that, YSU has wins of 20-6 (1939), 27-6 (1951), 35-0 (1952) and 20-13 (1953).

Last year, the YSU offense totaled 567 total yards, including 351 yards rushing.  For STFU, Dickson had 152 yards rushing, although most are from one garbage time run.

Our only common opponent is RMU.  Last year STFU beat RMU 40-7.  In 2014, STFU was 5-6/3-3, and 2-4 in away games.  In the NEC in 2014, STFU finished 4/7 place (FWIW, RMU finished 7/7).

The weather forecast for game time is 80 degrees, partly cloudy, and only a 10% chance of rain.

Penguin Nation:
My prediction...huge day for the Penguins.  YSU has never struggled with this team.  We will be at home, and the near perfect weather should bring a nice crowd.  The team is healthy, and PO'ed about last week.

YSU 42-17.

The YO Show:
I also envision a blowout this week. Hopefully we learned from last week and feed off that game Saturday. Hope we can contain their ground game at least as well as Towson. We need to stop the run to compete in conference play.

42-10   YSU.

ScarletRook:
Calling for 70% chance of rain on Saturday - ugh!
I hope we do better in the passing department in bad weather.
If not, there is always running Jody Wells up the middle.

Penguin Nation:
Scarlet, I just checked again. Down to 6% chance of precipitation at game time. The conditions are right for a whoopin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version