YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

The up side

(1/5) > >>

guinpen:
Okay it was ugly, real ugly. Offense just could not get in sync, but when it had to the offense did what it had to do, barely.

I thought that the defense looked good for the most part, the first td by RMU was a shock and that long drive that was all on the ground being the obvious exceptions.

Time will tell against other teams but we had good pressure on the qb and did not allow anything over the middle.

Kicking game needs work.

We won, so learn from it and move on.

Wick250:
I'm really searching for anything positive to say after watching, in brutal conditions, perhaps the worse "win" in YSU history.  I did come up with this: we have outscored our opponents in the second half in both games, that is certainly different from the past five years.

Also, assuming the scoreboard was accurate, Wells was 5-20 in the first half.  Therefore, he must have been 6-7 in the second half.  This is not a knock against Wells who clearly does not want to run.  But I would have put in Davis for a few series and run some option.  Would have seen if that team could defend the run from sideline to sideline.

penguinpower:
Feels like an irritating loss.  We shouldn't have played so bad. Disappointing and makes me not want to be a YSU fan anymore.  I don't know how much more I can take.  Mediocrity sucks.

The YO Show:
All I can say is yeesh  :-[

penguinpower:
We were 5 of 17 on  3rd down against an inferior opponent.  Sickening.  We were not greatly successful at stopping the run and the special teams were equivalent to a high school.  WTF are we doing?  Stupid penalties killed us too.  What is up with the OL?  Not a fan of Shane Montgomery's offense against teams with good defenses now losing faith we can beat inferior opponents with 24 scholarships.  If the team really wants playoffs they have to pick it up about 1000%. 

I watched the post game press conference on YouTube.  If anyone thinks this game is a good idea I have to say you are wrong.  The kids hinted to their level of focus because of the opponent.  We should have curb stomped RMU.  There is not a lot of fan interest and this game does nothing to prepare our football team for the playoffs.  All it does is reinforce bad play by getting a W with poor preparation and poor play on the field.   This is not a formula for success and not a good way to reinforce the behavior of 18-22 year olds.  If you want to be the best you've got to beat the best.  Shaking my head

And BTW St.Francis played Towson tough.  Wonder how seriously we take them.

Meanwhile Northern Iowa beat Eastern Washington in a marquee type of game that tested their defense and is preparing them for playoffs.  We are pissimg around struggling to beat a lower team.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version